Page 4 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 9:31 am

I find it interesting that there was an article here on WrongPlanet endorsing that the disabled should support Hillary Clinton instead of Trump. The problem here is the democrats are more tolerant of abortion than republicans are likely to be, and I know these democrats do have a secret history of being just as discriminating as the republicans are. Affirmative action is a racist policy, and all that. It's also racist how they coddle minorities and say they are too weak to thrive.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 7:29 pm

"Babies used to be left in fields to die"

Yes quite true, in fact the ancient Greeks often cast infants off a cliff if they were born with any sort of abnormality whatsoever.Ye, it's cruel and I find it appalling .

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 12:39 pm

Sounds like finding it appalling is a luxury. The ancient Greeks, with no modern science or technology, couldn't afford to be so sensitive. Having a rougher life doesn't make them worse people than us—it makes us spoiled.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 5:15 pm

I'm sure at least some of the philosophers in ancient Greece were on the spectrum. I'm sure there have been disabled people in every civilization who have found their place and are valued members of the community.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 7:54 pm

Having a rougher life doesn't make them worse people than us—it makes us spoiled.[/quote]

I'll agree with you on that point.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 8:18 pm

rats_and_cats wrote:
I've given up trying to convince others that people with disabilities are worthy of life. Most babies with Down Syndrome are aborted, and when they find the autism gene most babies with autism will be aborted as well. Mothers who murder their disabled children are given sympathy, not punishment. Since when was it so acceptable to kill "undesireables?" It's kind of ironic that society hates neo-Nazis (don't get me wrong I don't like them either) but supports people who advocate for killing disabled children or allowing neurotypical children to die from horrible diseases rather than risk them becoming disabled. Sorry this post is so negative. The direction society is going in really does scare me.

Agreed.

yelekam wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
I think abortion for disability is ok, it's the parents' choice whether to birth a disabled child.

I myself would disagree. I would contend that selective abortion, whether for disability, race, gender, or any other natural variation in humanity, is a form of discrimination and contrary to the principles of human rights.
It is one thing for someone to decide whether or not to have an abortion based on whether or not they want to have a child. It is another thing to decide to have an abortion for a selective reason. At that point no longer about the liberties of the individuals having abortions. It is about them deciding what type of person deserves to live and acting to deny a potential human being life on the basis of the type of individual that would enter into the world if not prevented.

Also agreed.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 12:40 pm

I find that the same people are perfection happy as well.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 1:35 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I find that the same people are perfection happy as well.

Yes in many ways, as some people want the so-called perfect society without flaws or abnormalities whatsoever.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 6:34 pm

I can't help but wonder if the desire for this kinda perfection is itself a kinda spectrumey trait?

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 10:19 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I can't help but wonder if the desire for this kinda perfection is itself a kinda spectrumey trait?

I sincerely understand that there are some people on the spectrum whom might have a sense of perfection, however I don't know if this could be intertwined or correlates to the desire to have children.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 10:20 am

I think rejection of children with severe deficits is natural to humans who have been doing it for a very long time.
Previously, parents could kill the children after birth, and that would have been ok at many times in many societies.
With modern technology, they can decide to kill the children before birth.
It's the parents' decision to perform an abortion, I think it's wrong to limit people's ability to choose.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 11:53 am

That may have been acceptable when a disabled child was unlikely to survive, but nowadays with medical and societal advances disabilities are nowhere near as debilitating. We no longer have to follow our basic animal instinct, and we shouldn't. We are thinking animals, we should use that power to think ethically.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2016, 1:12 am

rats_and_cats wrote:
I've given up trying to convince others that people with disabilities are worthy of life. Most babies with Down Syndrome are aborted, and when they find the autism gene most babies with autism will be aborted as well. Mothers who murder their disabled children are given sympathy, not punishment. Since when was it so acceptable to kill "undesireables?" It's kind of ironic that society hates neo-Nazis (don't get me wrong I don't like them either) but supports people who advocate for killing disabled children or allowing neurotypical children to die from horrible diseases rather than risk them becoming disabled. Sorry this post is so negative. The direction society is going in really does scare me.

Let's not forget that it was the Americans who gave the Nazis the terrible idea. The problem is American culture. That being said, the problem isn't eugenics persay as much as the perception of autism as an undesirable. That is the idea we need to destroy.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2016, 1:19 pm

A question we need to ask is what eugenics is:killing off undesirables? Preventing the disease through editing?

We also need to ask whether or not autism is a disorder. Would an autistic person be able to survive in ancient times? The evidence for autism not being entirely inheritable but also being more likely to happen due to pollution and other negative factors like disease in a parent or so on is becoming firmer. Would removing toxins or chemicals from the environment be eugenics if it denies the chance an individual develops the disorder be genocide? How do you all reconcile that?

Another disruption would be the fact evidence is pointing to autism having a pathology in the brain rather than a different brain being born. It is not a Linux to a windows then, it is a windows with something added in.

I leave with this article:
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot ... izophrenia

Just because it exists doesn't make it somehow meant to be. There are numerous accidents in evolution, some are from added complexity making more room for error. If you ask "why does it still exist if it is not beneficial or a gift?". Then there is an answer. Few scientists would be stumped by that question.

You all can disagree if you want, but at least accept and own some of the above is true, or dispute it if you don't think it is.

-Johnnyh

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2016, 2:14 am

johnnyh wrote:
A question we need to ask is what eugenics is:killing off undesirables? Preventing the disease through editing?

We also need to ask whether or not autism is a disorder. Would an autistic person be able to survive in ancient times? The evidence for autism not being entirely inheritable but also being more likely to happen due to pollution and other negative factors like disease in a parent or so on is becoming firmer. Would removing toxins or chemicals from the environment be eugenics if it denies the chance an individual develops the disorder be genocide? How do you all reconcile that?

Another disruption would be the fact evidence is pointing to autism having a pathology in the brain rather than a different brain being born. It is not a Linux to a windows then, it is a windows with something added in.

I leave with this article:
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot ... izophrenia

Just because it exists doesn't make it somehow meant to be. There are numerous accidents in evolution, some are from added complexity making more room for error. If you ask "why does it still exist if it is not beneficial or a gift?". Then there is an answer. Few scientists would be stumped by that question.

You all can disagree if you want, but at least accept and own some of the above is true, or dispute it if you don't think it is.

I would like to second this.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 3:08 pm

It's a poverty that a child must die, so that a woman can live her life as she wishes. - Mother Teresa

There was a man who dreamed of abortion and euthanasia. That man was Hitler. Doctors blindly followed in his footsteps by doing genetic research and developing the technology to cause eugenics to happen. There was some British guy who came up with the idea of labelling people as undesirables, but I forget his name. He came up with the idea and Hitler acted on it, 200 years later. The doctors have been blindly following in Hitler's footsteps since 1933. I think that's horrible. I think it's wrong that certain populations have to be wiped out in order for old-fashioned people to feel more comfortable. There is something wrong with weeding people out of the human gene pool because of it. There are a lot of technology around to greatly reduce the health complications of people who have genetic conditions. There are also job training programmes that can assist people with various cognitive disorders find work. There are even reality TV shows around the world that help to make that possible. I think all people who are conceived should be given a chance at life and that people should give them a chance. It would strengthen the economy, but not everybody's going to do that. Not everybody feels the same way I do. The WP Nazi is a staunch Pro-Lifer. Go figure.

Everybody on WP is entitled to their own opinion about this.