How can I not feel like giving up when I exercise?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 8:47 pm

How can I not feel tired or like giving up a couple minutes after I go into exercising. Today at the gym, I was aiming for 15 minutes on the treadmill, but only got tired and exhausted after 8 minutes. The problem I have is that is pretty abysmal performance for a male my age. I also been weak in the core area, and feel overall weak compared to others. Is there a way I can help this get better, even if it may be physical disability related? Also, because I feel like I'm really being pushed by others, but if I tell them I'm exhausted all they do is laugh at me. Maybe if I were to seriously hurt my foot, would they laugh at me then too?

Sai
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jul 2016, 11:49 am

Hi K_Kelly. A lot of people start too fast on the treadmill and tire themselves out too quickly. Have you tried slowing it down to a jog? Are you eating properly before you go to the gym? If I try to exercise before breakfast I struggle to keep going.

Who is it that is laughing at you? It doesn't sound like they are helping you reach your goals at all.

Zil333
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jul 2016, 11:51 pm

Try out calisthenics? I do those you can do it home in the privacy of your own home. I listen to motivational music to keep my mind focus. Watsky - Moral of the Story. Britney Spears - Work b***h. Kevin Gates - I Don't Get Tired

Also set a number of push ups, sit ups and squats to do. An even number like say 10 of each. Once a day. Slowly build up that number as doing 10 becomes easier to do. Another things is proper form while doing these exercises and breathing.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 12:42 am

K_Kelly wrote:
How can I not feel tired or like giving up a couple minutes after I go into exercising. Today at the gym, I was aiming for 15 minutes on the treadmill, but only got tired and exhausted after 8 minutes. The problem I have is that is pretty abysmal performance for a male my age. I also been weak in the core area, and feel overall weak compared to others. Is there a way I can help this get better, even if it may be physical disability related? Also, because I feel like I'm really being pushed by others, but if I tell them I'm exhausted all they do is laugh at me. Maybe if I were to seriously hurt my foot, would they laugh at me then too?

On the treadmill, start with fast walking. You should be walking fast enough that your breathing is a bit heavy, but slow enough that you can walk for your target time of 15 minutes.

I usually kept a pace such that my heart rate did not exceed 80% of my maximum, but I have a high heart rate naturally so you might want to not exceed 70% of your maximum...there is a chart that tells you your maximum for your age and sex.

Eventually, this pace will start to feel easier, and when it does, increase it slightly.

For core strength do core body exercises like plank, side plank, and the likes. Avoid sit ups. They strain the back and are sub optimal for core body strength.

Hypnotized
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2016, 9:27 am

For me, music is key.
Try listening to music while exercising.