Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

David blackwell
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jul 2016, 10:40 pm

I'm interested in reading more about other people with ASD "bathing" routines or lack thereof, this is not to be limited to personal hygiene that is another topic but more toward the act of taking a bath
(being submerged in water)?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 10:44 pm

Epsom salt baths are very soothing.
Allegedly, soaking in epsom salt is especially good if you have autism
for providing both the magnesium that helps you to relax and keep stress and migraines away,
and sulphates that allegedly autistic people have a harder time absorbing.

I want to take an Epsom salt bath soon ...
Thing is, it's been a long, hot summer.
So today I settled for a shower.

David blackwell
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jul 2016, 10:57 pm

I take a bath every morning before work it's how I prepare for the day withoutt a bath I feel like my day is ruined before it begins.I will try the eposon salt bath. That is aa good idea. it's good to take a long bath with the lights off it's a good way sort thoughts and calm down.

Rich1978
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2016, 11:03 pm

I should bathe more. Submerging my head in the water as much as I can while still being able to breathe is my favourite part.

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 11:36 pm

I usually take a shower in the afternoon, a couple of hours before the time I go to sleep.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 11:45 pm

I enjoy a good bath. I use Epsom salts if I have them and essential oils (in a carrier oil, so they won't burn me). I like bubbles too... I usually just use my shampoo or body wash: I hang my loofah on the little pull-up thing that makes a shower happen (hope that makes sense), anyway, I put a little of whatever I'm hoping will make bubbles on it. It sort of hangs below the water spout and tends to make more bubbles that way.

Unfortunately, for reasons that have nothing to do with autism, I am unable to take baths as I used to (my wrists dislocate when I try to get out). Sometimes, when my husband is home and I really want a bath, I will take one and he can help me get out. But, for the most part, I have to use an old lady/old man slide over shower chair thing. It keeps me safest in the shower. I now hate them...but I just go in and get it done so I don't smell.

I found some hacks for bathing less and not smelling or looking awful when I was more disabled than I am now, if anyone is interested for any reason.

(My AS son hates showers because they are too loud.)

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

Forester
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jul 2016, 7:39 am

I have a hard time with showers or baths. It's the idea of being wet. Makes my skin crawl. Once I get into the water I am fine, it's just the initial shift from dry to wet that's hard for me.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 9:59 am

I don't personally like baths too much, I have a small bathtub and it isn't very pleasant for me to use it. I usually will shower (with a small chair in the shower) and I find that okay.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 10:16 am

I get shoved into the shower and then dragged back out. Not exactly, but kinda. It's hard to get me to take one and then I want to stay in forever. If I'm having a bad coordination day then I sit in the tub. No matter which, I need to be assisted getting in and out. But that's more because of my severe dyspraxia.

David blackwell
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jul 2016, 10:25 am

I enjoy reading about people's individual experience's with bathing. To me a bath is my quiet place I do not live alone and have very few places to collect my thoughts I typically spend an hour in the bath every morning and spend less than 1 minute washing before I get out (sometimes I forget to wash all together) I like the idea of sensory deprivation tank, I think the benefits of sensory deprivation could be significantly beneficial to some people on the spectrum but In some people sensory deprivation could prove devastatingly harmful to one's sensory issues depending on the individual I think I could benefit from the effects of a sensory deprivation chamber I believe they simulate the womb in some way so the effects of transitioning from a sensory null state to the that of (?) Realty much like a child being born can be completely overwhelming to the individual.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 10:28 am

I don't have a place of my own... So I typically shower at the gym or grab a shower at family's when I have a chance. But a nice warm shower is very relaxing.

David blackwell
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jul 2016, 10:40 am

I guess I could elaborate on "(?) Realty" in my previous post I couldn't find the a way to explain the state in contrast to sensory deprivation state ? Maybe what I'm getting at is we all exists in different versions of reality sure we all live on earth but we are all limited to our senses are ability to sense the world around us and paint a picture of are own reality in our mind so to us we live in a very different reality than an unborn child, if a person was born without the ability to sense the world around them would that world still exists? Yes but to them no

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 10:55 am

I've used a sensory deprivation tank 3 times. It's amazing. I'd go more, but I have to travel a little for it. I'm sure I'll do it again. Maybe when my wrists are stronger.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 11:03 am

Forester wrote:
I have a hard time with showers or baths. It's the idea of being wet. Makes my skin crawl. Once I get into the water I am fine, it's just the initial shift from dry to wet that's hard for me.

I've always liked the water part, it's the soap part I don't like....feels real slimy and nasty.

Now I use Dr, Bronner's Pure-Castile Soap.

It doesn't feel slimy when you use it, gets you real clean (don't over-do it or get it in your eyes) and it rinses off completely and really fast and comes scented (lots to choose from) of unscented (I think) although the scents are very mild.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2016, 11:12 am

screen_name wrote:
I've used a sensory deprivation tank 3 times. It's amazing. I'd go more, but I have to travel a little for it. I'm sure I'll do it again. Maybe when my wrists are stronger.

They did one of those on the YouTube channel "Good Mythical Morning." They look interesting, may try it someday.

sweeToxic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2016, 12:25 pm

I love being in water. It helps to relax me and calm my nerves. I like the feeling it has on my body. However, after I get out of the bath/water, I find it hard to deal with the water as it clings to my skin. It literally drives me up the wall at times. I also notice that my bathing routine usually consists of me washing my hair first, washing up and shaving my underarms/legs in that same order each time. I also have one of those shower heads that extend into a hose. Because of my Dyspraxia and weight issues, it's hard for me to stand in the shower and well... yeah. So, I sit down and do my bathing like that. However, at hotels I stay at for my convention, I usually take baths because of the same reasons (dyspraxia + weight issues). Another thing is that I also don't shower everyday. Yeah, yeah... this may sound gross to some, but I'm pretty sure you know what it feels like also to be trapped in your routines too so don't even lol. The cues I have when it's time to shower is where my hair starts to feel sort of greasy. It makes it easier because this gives more time during certain days to stay in control of my usual routine and do things I'm more used to (writing, gaming etc).