Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jul 2016, 10:50 pm

Greetings. I was unsure what to call the title, but I am unsure if this is a concern or not. In the last week, I've been hearing people call me who aren't there, speak when no one said anything, or noises that aren't in the room. So I have been having auditory hallucinations This is the most that I've heard stuff. Usually I hear something when no one says anything once to twice a month, not three times in a week. The three incidents:

1. I heard my cats (their bells) outside my room, but my cats were trapped in the basement, two levels away from my room.

2. I was brushing my teeth and then I suddenly heard my sister say "Nicole" (my name), but she is with my mom 5 hours away from where I was. I recognized the voice and knew it was my sister

3. My dad, his fiancee, and I were walking to Dollar Tree, a dollar store in Canada and the US, and suddenly I heard my dad's fiancee say "Nicole, what are you getting for dinner?" (this one, I am not exactly sure what I heard, but it was a question that started with one of the 5 w's, along with my name before the question). So I turned around and she was just walking peacefully, not even look at me. I was going to ask her, but decided not to because if she did ask me something, she would have asked again, but didn't.

I know they are minor things, but I wasn't sure if I should tell someone about this or not. I mean, I haven't heard anything negative before, just neutral things like my name or questions (even in the past). The cat bells are new, but may just be a one time thing. The voices though, they have happened in the past, just not this frequently. So I was wondering if I should be worried? Should I track when I hear voices? They aren't my own, the voices don't argue, they just try to communicate with me in some way. It doesn't sound like thoughts, it sounds like other people, or just random people, but not thoughts. Any advice is appreciated.

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf

woops
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Aug 2016, 10:38 pm

To me, this sounds more like it could be an illusion or misinterpretation than a hallucination. I think we all have times where we think we hear things that are not there or are something else entirely - auditory pareidolia. Just as we see forms and faces in random arrangements (like Jesus on toast), we can also hear familiar or expected words and phrases in random noise. It is possible, if you are very "aurally oriented" to excessively notice these things, become anxious about it and then notice it even more.