A developmental disorder 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
A fashionable syndrome 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Being like Sheldon Cooper 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

lisa_simpson
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Aug 2016, 3:07 pm

I'd like to conduct a poll for my blog (and its social networks) to find out what NT people think about Asperger's Syndrome. I guess people on this forum already know what AS is, but it is supposed to be for people who don't have an explicit knowledge about it. I'd like to know if you (people with ASD are also welcome to answer) find this poll makes sense for the general population.
I wanted to make it a bit funny too, so that's why I included the Sheldon Cooper option. Should I mention Rain Man instead of Sheldon? Also, this poll is supposed to be for Spanish-speaking countries, so maybe people in the US, UK, etc. have more knowledge about AS/ASD than in other places.
What are your thoughts? :)

AdamLain
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2016, 3:12 pm

I just realized the poll is for NT, but I'm glad now the very first thing that came to my mind is that I'm not disabled.

lisa_simpson
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Aug 2016, 3:25 pm

Everyone is welcome to answer, anyway! And the most important thing, disabled or not, is to feel good about yourself!! :D

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 3:46 pm

haha being sheldon cooper, nice. you know that green lantern shirt he wears alot? i have that, and wear it occasionally.

to be honest i kind of find the antics of the show a little....offensive, the constant sighing, mocking, complaining and attempts to change him over all his little quirks and ways of doing things just annoys the hell out me, i get that in real life i don't need to be reminded.

so id probably define it as two things: a developmental disorder, and to NT's ive met, being sheldon cooper.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 4:22 pm

Another misconception about Asperger's is being shy and introverted and also having a hard time making friends and fitting in. Another misconception is people might think AS is for people who don't know the social rules and just get anxious in new situations they have never been in. Also another misconception I have noticed a lot on ASPartners is AS is when someone is a narcissist and an as*hole and rude. Another misconception about it is people with AS are sociopaths.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 4:29 pm

You should have added "A national health crisis caused by vaccines that ruins that turns children into mass murderers", because I'm sure that's what most NT's would choose if they had the guts to answer honestly. :x

AdamLain
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2016, 4:50 pm

I think probably a lot of people think those with Autism are geniuses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 5:35 pm

It's not "fashionable" disorder.

Maybe it was circa 1995-2000.

Sheldon Cooper only presents us with a caricature of Asperger's.

lisa_simpson
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Aug 2016, 3:41 pm

randomeu wrote:
to be honest i kind of find the antics of the show a little....offensive, the constant sighing, mocking, complaining and attempts to change him over all his little quirks and ways of doing things just annoys the hell out me, i get that in real life i don't need to be reminded.

I don't watch TBBT, actually, but given that it's a sitcom, all characters are caricatures of real characters, that is, exaggerated. There is this Spanish show, La que se avecina, where one character (Violeta Recio) has some kind of unspecified mental disorder, like a mixture of schizophrenia and more things, and there was this organization of people with mental disorders who formally complained about the character. But I don't find her offensive, because I know she's just a sitcom character.

lostonearth35 wrote:
You should have added "A national health crisis caused by vaccines that ruins that turns children into mass murderers", because I'm sure that's what most NT's would choose if they had the guts to answer honestly. :x

:lol: I like that one!

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's not "fashionable" disorder.

Maybe it was circa 1995-2000.

It is "fashionable" now in Spain. Yes, we are so many years behind the US, I know!

Thanks everyone so much for your insight! It's good to see that my imagination was not so bad when creating this poll! :P