Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2016, 11:45 am

Why do some groups in the autism community act very insulted at the way some people on the internet see autism as an insult? I'm not going to be rude. I just feel people take it too seriously.

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2016, 9:21 pm

well for instance, the use of a term as an insult creates the impression to uninformed that autism is something negative and thus distorts public perception.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2016, 2:37 pm

Well, there is always going to be somebody with negative perceptions out there. Some people on the Internet prove my point so well. Some people just can't be fixed. The other thing is that people seem to get mad whenever someone tells them that 'x' as an insult is wrong. Maybe they are the "sensitive" ones.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2016, 6:57 pm

That's blaming the victim. Next you'll be saying people who have been raped are overreacting and "too sensitive" when someone makes a joke about rape. Of course they're going to perceive that negatively, it IS negative. Rape victims relive the terror and helpless feelings of that incident whenever someone makes a cruel and heartless "joke" about it. When autism is used as an insult it makes autistic people feel dehumanized and as if they're at fault for something they can't help being. They don't know, or care, that I've spent evenings crying and miserable and reliving the nightmares I went through before my diagnoses when they said things like autistic people should be killed.

If that makes me too sensitive, well then guilty as charged.

"It's just a joke" is the most stupid and cliche'd internet excuse ever for being cruel and abusive, and people who say that are not needed in this world.

We aren't broken, don't need to be fixed, we are not an incomplete jigsaw puzzle, and we do need to be lit up blue. END. OF. DISCUSSION. :x

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 2:10 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
We aren't broken, don't need to be fixed, we are not an incomplete jigsaw puzzle, and we do need to be lit up blue. END. OF. DISCUSSION. :x

Don't presume to speak for me. :|

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 4:31 am

Since people are free to be more to be themselves without consequence on the internet the fear is that is how most people really feel about autistics.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman