Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Andrew. A
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Aug 2016, 5:23 pm

I'd just like to start off by saying I'm not against people liking this show at all, if you like this show...what are you doing here in the first place? But in all seriousness. I'm not a huge fan of Steven Universe. I seldom hear people say so and that really bothers me. I'm so used to seeing a diverse sea of differing opinions when it comes to certain TV shows, video games, movies, or whatever. But it just baffles me how many people absolutely adore this cartoon. I sincerely hope I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Cenabee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Sep 2016, 5:30 pm

I've been having issues with both the show and its fandom, from how it tackles and rends some stereotypes while unconsciously glorifying others (women can be any shape they wish, but they should still be pretty), to how the fandom has actually attacked the show's creators for similar issues (such as the poor case of Lauren Zuke).

I've heard once that, in terms of social justice, it's like some of the first space launches: not perfect at all, but still a step in the right direction. I believe that to a point. Much of the rest of the time, I'm more annoyed with how it favors metaphors of social justice issues over developing coherent storylines. Some episodes talk about how love is not something to throw around, while other episodes almost glorify "puppy love" to the point of almost encouraging codependency above internal emotional development.

Truthfully, the mixed messages of the show apparently come from characters with mixed feelings, but I feel the show doesn't make this obvious, as if we should take everything said on the show with a grain of salt EXCEPT for the major characters.

orangegoldgreen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2016, 2:28 pm

A lot of people I share some similarities with love this show, so I wanted to like it, too. I watched the first episode, and was turned off by how completely, nails-on-chalkboard annoying the Steven character is. Fans of the show have told me it gets better, keep watching! (Clearly haven't followed the advice, yet.)