Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Charlie1011
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Aug 2016, 9:48 pm

Hello guys

I've been meaning to ask this for some time and would like an awnser from an AS and NT side.

I have a friend who has bipolar\psychosis (medicated) I can't relate as I've only ever had short of periods of depersonalisation and need a little guidance please

When he is stressed or it's nearly time for meds he will start asking some odd questions or thoughts.
What is the best way to approtch this. Do you confront, pointing out bad logic. Ignore it and change the subject or just go along with what he's saying ?

alex
Developer
Developer

11 Aug 2016, 2:48 am

I think either go along with it or change the subject. trying to point out the flaws in logic could potentially backfire.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 4:10 am

Charlie1011 wrote:
When he is stressed or it's nearly time for meds he will start asking some odd questions or thoughts.
What is the best way to approtch this. Do you confront, pointing out bad logic. Ignore it and change the subject or just go along with what he's saying ?

I have a friend who is diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia, not the same diagnosis, but the same effect.

The best thing i've found to do is to make him think himself about the things he says, i ask him what he things logically about the subject "are they really talking about you, or did you forget to take your medicine"? How someone react to this can be very individual, some could feel insulted and some others who are more rational could take in the words you say and realise that they need to take their meds.

As i've gotten older, i've added a few sprinkles of sensitivity into these kinds of things. If i was 20 something i'd tell him that he was an idiot - which would not have been helpful and quite counter productive.

Charlie1011
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2016, 4:13 pm

I've tried telling him I don't understand and yes confront it backfires. Changeing the subject just confuses things more as he will change his mind\opinion to fit the subject combining it to the last conversation ( if that makes sense ? )

I'd never call him an idiot but yes it's frustrating sometimes. He can be smart but mix's spirituality and physics into pseudo science, that's difficult to follow. Will try the mirror therapy tho.

Would it be ok to ask him how he would like me to react next time maybe ?