Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2016, 3:28 pm

I am diagnosed with Aspergers. My older brother is diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As far as I know, those two things are unrelated, and I have doubts that my brother is bipolar - he doesn't exactly fit the diagnosis, and he could have ADHD or Aspergers instead.

Do you know anything about the relation between bipolar disorder and autism?

mcsquared
Raven
Raven

17 Aug 2016, 7:46 pm

Hey--I know several people with dual diagnosis of bipolar and aspergers. I might be one but never got aspergers confirmed because bipolar is the one that scares doctors. I have long suspected that people might get misdiagnosed with bipolar or schizophrenia when they might actually be on autistic spectrum. Psychiatrists generally aren't looking for autism disorders in adults and even when it is documented in history they will try to put another diagnosis. There is overlap like sensory overload and I've heard sometimes taking things literally can throw people off when answering the standard diagnosis questions like "are you hearing voices?"

Hermissinglink
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2016, 4:25 am

It may be. A result of living with Asperger. I have Borderline and Anoreksia as side effects. Bipolar is sometimes looking alike Asperger. When we are down, we have depressions. And when we do our interests it can look like mani.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 7:31 am

I have a relative who was diagnosed as bipolar for years and who has now been identified as actually having ADHD.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2016, 8:11 am

My brother is also bipolar, but I'm not sure to say that has anything to do with me.