Are mods kept an eye on? How are they selected? Any vetting?

Page 11 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 3:12 pm

@the walrus Sorry I got carried away

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 1:43 am

A Walrus actually still needs to tell me exactly how what a councillor said is satire when it happened for real.

Also, viewtopic.php?t=330987&p=7333419#p7333419 - if it's not unlocked then by its absurd definition of 24 hours, which was ages ago, I'll simply recreate it...

Seriously, this begs to be slightly more logical...

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Oct 2016, 4:16 am

It wasn't exactly what he said, it was an absurd extrapolation of an already absurd comment.

Mootoo, seriously, just contain all your Trump stuff to a single thread. That way you can essentially post as much as you want without annoying people nearly as much; just make sure you stick to the rules about personal attacks against other users/groups and such. Create a thread called "why Trump should not be president" or something and post all your links in there and I will make an effort to stop it being locked for anything outside your control.

@Saveferris don't worry :)

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

27 Oct 2016, 8:58 am

Can we have a survivor style vote off the Island in PPR? I think I know who I and most other regulars on the board would vote for. I think the moderating in PPR is pretty terrible that it allows certain posters to ruin discourse, I have no idea how some have been tolerated so long. People that do not contribute to the board, only providing vitriol and hate with no hint of a coherent thought or constructive dialogue should have their posting privileges taken away. I think the board is tired of some deranged person screaming that about nazis, sexual fetishes, cults, and other bizarre insulting things. I literally got a board warning for saying 'dodo' once and this straight up abuse is allowed? Give me a break, the board is going to die with moderating like this. Congratulations on being so fair and balanced! :roll:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2016, 4:15 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I literally got a board warning for saying 'dodo'

[sarcasm] and rightly so , what a vile thing to say [/sarcasm] :P

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 7:03 am

Jacoby wrote:
Can we have a survivor style vote off the Island in PPR? I think I know who I and most other regulars on the board would vote for. I think the moderating in PPR is pretty terrible that it allows certain posters to ruin discourse, I have no idea how some have been tolerated so long. People that do not contribute to the board, only providing vitriol and hate with no hint of a coherent thought or constructive dialogue should have their posting privileges taken away. I think the board is tired of some deranged person screaming that about nazis, sexual fetishes, cults, and other bizarre insulting things. I literally got a board warning for saying 'dodo' once and this straight up abuse is allowed? Give me a break, the board is going to die with moderating like this. Congratulations on being so fair and balanced! :roll:

How I see it, that individual is treating the conservatives with the foul attitude many of the left leaning posters wish they could treat us like, which is why he's getting very fair treatment. If he is moderated as he should be there is no one there to do their dirty work. You could write that off as a conspiracy theory but it would be unfair to given that we are allowing someone to link an election candidate with sex cults, fetishes, Hitler and all sorts of other mumbo jumbo.

PPR is slowly becoming more barren of sensible and educated political discourse. I like that the sub board encourages new speakers to the table but the bar has been set incredibly low and it's ruining the experience for everyone else.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Oct 2016, 4:38 pm

This is very thinly veiled and I don't think it's fair on "the individual" for us to talk about him in this way (although I'm not questioning the validity of your opinions).

I think he'd be pretty shocked to find out that people think he's been treated leniently. Certainly we get almost as many complaints from progressives that they're being persecuted as we do from more conservative posters.

I am as frustrated as anyone at the quality of the discussion and have been merging and locking low-quality threads to try and combat this. I don't think there's been a decline in the last few months though, I think it's stayed pretty steady but got a bit more frantic as the election looms. Individuals have been given longer leashes than perhaps was wise as long as they refrained from attacking individuals but I've definitely had my patience tested. After the election then the gloves will be off.

One strategy I've been trying has been to just leave ridiculous conspiracy threads hanging. This way they die natural deaths rather than getting locked and potentially causing the OP to feel persecuted.

Remember that this is first and foremost a support forum with entertainment secondary. Moderators will ensure the rules are enforced and the forum stays pleasant, but I don't think it's practical to become /r/NeutralPolitics or something similar.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 12:12 pm

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=331517

@The_Walrus: I know you said this thread was locked because people were attacking each other----but, I don't think I'll EVER understand that. To ME, ONLY the people who are fighting, should be chastised / counseled / whatever----when the thread is locked, that punishes EVERYBODY, IMO, who was participating on that thread. Yeah, it's more work----yeah, it's easier to just lock the thread----but, to NOT lock it, is more "for the good of the people", so-to-speak (meaning, there's more people who are "harmed" [for lack of a better word] when a thread is locked because TWO people, for instance, are fighting, and TEN others are participating on the thread).

Regarding this last post, The_Walrus: "Quality", "low-quality" and "ridiculous", are subjective----and, again, I don't feel a Mod should be injecting their personal feelings into their moderation duties. Obviously, the person who started the threads didn't think it was a "low-quality" post----AND, if people responded to it, positively, THEY didn't think it was "low-quality", EITHER. BTW, if you've gotten several complaints about "low-quality" / "ridiculous" posts / threads, and because you agree with the complaints, decided you'd do something about it----that STILL doesn't justify it, IMO, cuz whomever's complaining, maybe shouldn't be IN PPR, cuz they're too thin-skinned----or, just shouldn't be a tattle-tale, and get over themselves. If I reported everybody / post in PPR that got on my nerves, the "Report" button would BLOW-UP!! People are just gonna have to learn to IGNORE what they don't like, and get over themselves----unless it's TERRIBLY egregious; but, we're talking-about "low-quality", here----that's the way it is, in the "in-person world".

Also, I'm thinking using the term "longer leashes", when referring to humans, might get ya in trouble.

This is not a support FORUM----it is a "support SITE". The forum rules are different in PPR:

"This is a special forum. It is for debating and as such pretty much anything goes provided it stays within the site rules and the following guidelines. It is more or less freedom of speech. It doesn't matter if some people have obnoxious or ill-informed opinions regarding politics, religion or virtually anything else.

Provided people don't get too out of hand this forum is given a wide scope for debate; which frankly is what the members themselves want here, not moderators stepping in all the time censoring their opinions."

If I could TRIPLE-underline that last sentence, I WOULD. "Pleasant" is ALSO subjective----and, I'm thinking there are enough people in PPR who think that what has been going-on over there, lately (so many threads being locked / merged, posts being edited, and so-forth), is NOT "pleasant"; I'm thinking they have MORE tolerance / patience for the "ridiculous" threads, maybe, than they do with the Mods, right now.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Oct 2016, 3:00 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
and, I'm thinking there are enough people in PPR who think that what has been going-on over there, lately (so many threads being locked / merged, posts being edited, and so-forth), is NOT "pleasant"; I'm thinking they have MORE tolerance / patience for the "ridiculous" threads, maybe, than they do with the Mods, right now.

Thanks for your views, Cat, but I won't be changing to accommodate them. I think you're at the extreme end of the forum with regards to tolerance for moderation action. Lots of people who were complaining in August and whose judgement I trust have told me that the balance is about right now, and I'm inclined to agree. If you want a forum where anarchy reigns then several are available, but I'm not going to stop moderating threads and posts which break the rules just because you complain. I hope you understand.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 6:06 pm

@The_Walrus: Sure, I understand----but, just because it seems like / appears that I'm the only one complaining, doesn't actually mean I'm the only one complaining; it's just that I'm one of the few complaining, publicly. Most ASDers are not confronters----because I saw the reaction beginning-with when you changed that poster's title (actually, the cauldron, so-to-speak, had been fiercely bubbling before that, and that changing the title thing, made the cauldron boil-over), and because of the PMs I've gotten complaining about the Mods / PPR, I took it upon myself to give a voice to the voiceless, so-to-speak.

It's not only about ASDers not being confronters, though----the fear of getting banned, keeps people from speaking-out, also----AND, I've ALSO seen people complain to me, privately, and then PUBLICLY show support, for the Mods. (My theory is, one of the reasons they do this, maybe, is to show that they CAN be empathetic, since everybody accuses us, of NOT being so----and/or, they want to "jump to the rescue" of someone who they feel is being put-down, because no one did that, for THEM, all-the-times THEY were being put-down.) I've even gotten PMs from people, who have been following this thread from day-one (or, nearly), and say "Say THIS" / "ask them THIS" / and, so-on. The only ones I've DIRECTLY obeyed, so-to-speak, were the ones asking why a thread had been locked in PPR.

Can I prove any of this? No----but, because I don't believe-in "outting" people (breaking their anonymity); just like, I'm sure, you wouldn't divulge who is supportive of you / the Mods, cuz you don't think that's proper. (I've told several people that I would NEVER repeat what they told me, unless I thought they were hurting someone.)

I've never, as long as I've been here, done this (come-forward, publicly, in a negative way, about a Mod[s]; MANY times I've given "hugs" to Mods, thanked Mods, said "Good job" to Mods, and so-forth, but never anything negative); so, the fact that I'm doing it now, should say something----that I felt the PEOPLE needed a voice. There have been many, MANY people who have said, PUBLICLY, "Nobody here cares about us" (or, something like that----meaning, nobody cares about the long-time users and how they feel about the site, etc.)----going-back YEARS, to when, for instance, Alex first put-up the pictures of this site's re-vamp (like, SIX years ago, IIRC), and people, very RESPECTFULLY, expressed how they didn't care for all the white, for instance (how it hurt their eyes, and so-forth). Over the years, as I've observed still others expressing "Nobody cares about us here", I have taken it in / taken it, to heart----and, THAT'S why I'm doing this.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 6:51 am

Sheesh.... :roll:

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 11:48 am

:|

We're still on about changing the poster titles?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 5:26 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
We're still on about changing the poster titles?

No, not at all----I merely mentioned that, to explain how / when / why I got involved.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 2:22 pm

Why did this thread get locked?

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=333818

Thanks, ahead of time.