Is it wrong sometimes to think of Neurotypicals as "stupid"?

Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 6:36 pm

I'd be "stupid" to say "no" . :mrgreen:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 6:57 pm

muffinhead wrote:
I like to think of NT's as a different species. As such, it isn't justified to call the other party "stupid" based on concrete differences which can't be reconciled.

Ok what is the name of our 'species' I figured we're human as much as NTs....but what species do you suggest we are?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 7:12 pm

Metemi wrote:
I have had MANY experience with other people where they are literally about to drive off a cliff, so to speak, and I'm trying to warn them about it, and they just won't listen. I can see things in a way that they don't see. And then when they do drive "off the cliff", then they're like "why didn't you tell me"? LOL
Does anybody know what I'm saying?

But on the other hand I bet that your friends know the difference between "literally" and "figuratively". And I bet they would all laugh at how wrote this post. Lol!

Which only goes to show that everyone is a different mosaic of aptitudes, and nonaptitudes. Stupid in ways that you are smart, and vice versa. Kinda elementary. NT vs aspie doesnt even have much to do with it. It's about the individual. So move on from it already.

vanillabean
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Aug 2016, 4:07 am

Sometimes they act stupid, so do we.

I'm often frustrated with NT's behaviors and ways of thinking, and can't understand how any human being could do what they do, yeah.
It all seems really pointless. Small talk, constant white lies, they're all a bunch of Jerry Seinfelds in this little world they made up that they believe has a real basis in reality, when it doesn't.

And when I as an autistic person reject that reality, I'm rejected. :roll:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 6:51 pm

Neurotypicals are great. My parents are neurotypicals. The rest of my family are neurotypicals (except for one who has Dementia, and one with mental retardation). My friends are neurotypicals (except for one who has Fragile-X). Most, if not all others I am acquainted to are neurotypicals (as far as I know). My loving partner is neurotypical.

muffinhead
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2016, 9:28 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
muffinhead wrote:
I like to think of NT's as a different species. As such, it isn't justified to call the other party "stupid" based on concrete differences which can't be reconciled.

Ok what is the name of our 'species' I figured we're human as much as NTs....but what species do you suggest we are?

Perhaps not a different species, but rather a subspecies. It's more a figure of speech than a reality (obviously), although there are undoubtedly genetic hallmarks of autism/aspergers that differ from NT's.

Gematron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2016, 1:16 am

InannasDissent wrote:
Oh lord... I really want to weigh in here, but honestly it feels like voluntarily jumping into a firestorm. Guess I'll try my best anyway. I'm new here (Hi all!) and was going to dip my toes in the water on a different thread but saw this post and felt the need to say something, because.... I can empathize with the OP. And I realize I'm opening myself up to some grief here, but let me explain. I do recognize it's wrong to think of someone as being "stupid" (whatever that means to you), but not wrong to dislike someone or something. And I don't think it's judgmental to say that someone or something is different and be able to point out why. That's an observation. And it's perfectly okay not to like whatever you're observing, so long as you understand that everyone has a different way of doing they're thing. (And if I'm being completely honest, I don't believe all judgments are entirely bad either... they evolved from earlier mechanisms to keep us alive out there in the wilderness with our fellow hunter-gatherers. :) )
But I am guilty of this "NTs are stupid"-type of thinking, especially in recent years -- though "stupid" is just a broad, all-encompassing term I use to describe the traits and culture of NTs. (And a disclaimer: I'm fully aware that my opinion is just that, an opinion. It doesn't mean I think I'm right or better than anyone else. It's just how I feel and I'm making an observation.) I have a general dislike of NTs, not necessarily because individuals I've met have done me wrong (though some definitely--and knowingly--have) but because of what they and "their" society represent. Not because they are "stupid" in the intellectual sense or because a lot of the things they think/feel/do/say are different from my own way, but because they (or, more rightly, the society they are born into and support with their continued compliance to its "system") seem to be rather hypocritical and preachy or sometimes downright arrogant and degrading about it. As in, they preach tolerance for all or claim they accept someone who is "different," but only when the person (or behavior or thought or opinion, etc.) they are tolerating or accepting is within a decidedly narrow definition of what they already know to be "different."
And even then, they have their limits. It's as if they will only stretch their tolerance/acceptance so far and if you or your behavior lies beyond that point, well then, you're sort of screwed. If you aren't one of the "different" types they're familiar with or have ever had experience associating with, they seem to view you as weird or odd and almost react to your behavior or feelings or way of thinking as frightening and alien. And even when you try to explain yourself, they don't get it. Which is fine, and I wouldn't expect them too all the time really, but it's not just that they don't get it, they sometimes don't even want to hear it. It's that attitude that I can't stand, from anyone, not just NTs -- it just seems as if they fall into that pattern more because they are the "norm" and they know it. I feel like their world is not meant for someone like me and no matter how hard I try to conform to it for them, they just don't care and they want more, because it's never enough, and they don't want to compromise. Now I realize that is just MY experience and opinion and I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. And I also realize that most NTs aren't doing what they do on purpose, they just don't realize they're doing it.
Sorry for the convoluted and long-winded reply/rant that's always been a problem of mine! And thanks to the people who actually took the time to read it all lol.

That's exactly how I feel lol

v78d6s4nf8234
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Aug 2016, 3:33 am

Neurotypicals are not stupid. Most neurotypicals follow a neurotypical alpha because they usually prefer to follow a neurotypical alpha rather than think for themselves.

Neurotypical alphas are really smart since they are able to convince other neurotypicals to agree with their views.

13bunnyhop
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Aug 2016, 5:42 am

I'm NT and I am thoroughly enjoying this conversation.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2016, 7:24 pm

It is wrong to make a blanket statement that all NTs are stupid, as this is clearly not true. However, everyone, whether on or off the spectrum, has areas of smartness, areas of dumbness, and areas somewhere in between. Some people, both on and off the spectrum will be above average, and some will be below average. Most of my life I have felt like a freak, and not normal, but since I found out I have Aspergers, I have been better able to handle it. Also, as I have gotten older, I have more perspective on life. I have seen and heard things over the course of my life, that now, as these stories have accumulated, make me feel less strange, and less like a freak. There are a lot of foolish NTs out there who have done crazy stuff I would never do. If these nutty people are normal, then I can't be all that strange. I realize it may be rude to have someone else's mishaps make me feel better, but I can't help it, and it's only the mishaps that are brought about by them doing stupid stuff that makes me feel this way. If you are going to deliberately do something stupid, you have to expect that it will go wrong, and that others will derive humor from your stupid, and avoidable, mistakes.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2016, 9:54 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
muffinhead wrote:

Why, Homo aspien of course!

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2016, 10:12 pm

I'm more inclined to think NTs are anti-intellectual rather than stupid. The two are related, but they aren't the same thing.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2016, 10:52 pm

Intellectual pursuits are a privilege. If you want respect from most people, you need to earn it by proving you’re no less tough and able to physically stand up for yourself and fight for survival than them in whatever circumstances they happened to deal with. They won’t take it kindly if you’ve been sheltered so you could develop your intellectual interests while they were busy honing their street smarts and fighting skills out of necessity.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 1:29 am

when you judge others to be stupid, you need to be prepared to accept being judged as stupid yourself (possibly and especially by yourself). in that case, it's fair. otherwise, you're declaring yourself infallible, which is stupid

in my opinion, it's not wrong to "think of neurotypicals as stupid". it's just stupid :)