Is it wrong sometimes to think of Neurotypicals as "stupid"?

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Metemi
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Aug 2016, 6:15 am

Because... really they are. They think of us as stupid, why wouldn't we feel the same about them? :heart:

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 6:27 am

I've never thought of neurotypical people as "stupid" but I have been genuinely puzzled by SOME of the things that seem to make large numbers of the general population happy, things that I find to be odd behavior I have never felt drawn to. I've never made a negative judgement on that per se, but I have been sincerely confused by things that are could be characterized as being more an NT need or want.

I try not to always think "NT/and I'm not" but I can't help it striking me sometimes, and not always in a way that favors me, I want to add.

Metemi
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Aug 2016, 6:32 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
I try not to always think "NT/and I'm not" but I can't help it striking me sometimes, and not always in a way that favors me, I want to add.

I think that is what I'm trying to say; we are so used to apologizing for the way that we are that we lose sight of the fact that we can see and do things that "normal" people cannot. Just as they can see and do things that we cannot. But where is the..... common ground on that? For example a friend who is NT?

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2016, 6:37 am

No, its not wrong, but don't think they don't know a thing about you either.

-Johnnyh

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 6:39 am

Is it also wrong to call foreigners as "Stupid" just because their customs are odd, they don't know or butcher your language, the way they dress is odd, their body language is suspicious or looks stupid, just because they don't know your norm's "must knows", and their preferences are considered dumb or baffling within your culture?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 6:44 am

The common ground can be a difficult one, I think, for me anyway. I manage to find some common ground, even quite a bit of it, with some people who I know to be NT, and after all, we are all still human beings. Both NTs and neurodiverse people still have a fair bit in common just by being alive, needing many of the same things in life to be happy or fulfilled, etc.

We all (NT or ND) want acceptance, love, support, security, shelter, a way to feel useful, a way to have fun. It's just that some of those things and the manner by which different people can or cannot or do or don't pursue them can be the place where the disconnect is felt.

Common ground can be as simple as liking the same TV show or video game as your NT friend, all the way to that you both had a difficult situation with a family member or a job. Some things happen to both NTs and non-NTs, and some of the same feelings are produced. It's good sometimes to keep those common grounds in mind, even though at other times you might be like "WTF is with those people?" :lol:

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2016, 7:00 am

Metemi wrote:
Because... really they are. They think of us as stupid, why wouldn't we feel the same about them? :heart:
Less to do with right/wrong, and more to do with arrogance.

It is very arrogant for you to hold yourself in higher regard than others. And also very selfish/vein etc.

So, in short - possibly not 'wrong' - but certainly the height of arrogance/ego.

Which you've demonstrated with your post/thread.

Metemi
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Aug 2016, 7:08 am

sonicallysensitive wrote:
Metemi wrote:
Less to do with right/wrong, and more to do with arrogance.

It is very arrogant for you to hold yourself in higher regard than others. And also very selfish/vein etc.

So, in short - possibly not 'wrong' - but certainly the height of arrogance/ego.

Which you've demonstrated with your post/thread.

Yes, I realize that. That is the point of the question. I said "Sometimes". Sometimes I think of NT people as stupid. Just the same way that they called me a stoner and a ret*d in school or at a job. Obviously it is not morally or ethically correct, but we are human. I'm tired of apologizing for the fact that I'm different. :|

Metemi
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Aug 2016, 7:13 am

I have had MANY experience with other people where they are literally about to drive off a cliff, so to speak, and I'm trying to warn them about it, and they just won't listen. I can see things in a way that they don't see. And then when they do drive "off the cliff", then they're like "why didn't you tell me"? LOL
Does anybody know what I'm saying?

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2016, 7:14 am

Metemi wrote:
Yes, I realize that. That is the point of the question. I said "Sometimes". Sometimes I think of NT people as stupid.
OK.

I don't think it is right of you to do this. I think it is arrogant.

Metemi wrote:
Just the same way that they called me a stoner and a ret*d in school or at a job.
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Metemi wrote:
Obviously it is not morally or ethically correct, but we are human.
Stop excusing your behaviour. Be more honourable by walking a higher path.

Metemi wrote:
I'm tired of apologizing for the fact that I'm different. :|
Maybe others are tired of having to make allowances for your differences.

Pot calling kettle black?

Metemi
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Aug 2016, 7:17 am

Metemi wrote:
Yes, I realize that. That is the point of the question. I said "Sometimes". Sometimes I think of NT people as stupid.
OK.

Ok, fair enough. Actually I guess you answered my question, at least from you point of view. Thank you. :wink:

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2016, 7:23 am

Metemi wrote:
Metemi wrote:
OK.

Ok, fair enough. Actually I guess you answered my question, at least from you point of view. Thank you. :wink:

No worries

Metemi
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Aug 2016, 7:27 am

If I can relate an example from real life, I have a weird ability with maps and direction. I can see maps in my head after looking at them a few times, like maps of a city. So I often drive while with NT friends of mine, and they just don't understand that I know EXACTLY where to go. Not even just in terms of exactness, but I can see pictures in my head of maps and general direction. And they do not. lol

And no matter how many times it happens.... They will be yelling at me, screaming at me to go in a certain direction that I CAN SEE in my head is completely incorrect. And then when they realize.... they apologize for it lol. They will literally be so set in their minds that we are going, say, South, when I can plainly see for certain that we are going North. I'm not kidding, it happens all the time. And there is often literally no way to convince them to just shut up and trust me. Because I SEE IT. I have abitilites that they don't have. Just like they have ablities that I don't have, and will never understand. We are different. Not one better or one worse, just..

Different. :D

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2016, 7:48 am

Metemi wrote:
We are different. Not one better or one worse, just..

Different. :D

You're still judging.

But at least now it is more equal, rather than considering others 'stupid'.

But it is still judging.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 7:53 am

It’s wrong to think anyone is stupid or has any other bad quality unless you have the balls to tell them to their face. Period.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 7:55 am

I envy your sense of direction.

I don't think of others as stupid, because I feel that way about myself sometimes. I'm relatively intelligent but I don't seem to learn new things without muddling through them myself.