Is it wrong sometimes to think of Neurotypicals as "stupid"?

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 7:55 am

I envy your sense of direction.

I don't think of others as stupid, because I feel that way about myself sometimes. I'm relatively intelligent but I don't seem to learn new things without muddling through them myself.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 7:56 am

It's wrong to think anyone is stupid.

But, addressing this to sonicallysensitive -- It's not "still judging" just to notice there's a difference in anything.

Is is judging to notice or mention that two people happen to be different heights? Or that these flowers are red and these are blue?

Is it judging to notice that tons of people like sports but I don't and I'm perplexed at how they enjoy the loud crowds and long periods of no play? I'm not judging those people for being sports fans, I'm just noticing I don't get it -- just for one example/illustration I can think of personally.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 8:05 am

In a nutshell:

You have stupid neurotypicals

You have stupid neurodiverse people

No group has an exclusive claim to stupidity. No group has an exclusive claim to smarts.

It's best to judge individual people on their merits or lack thereof, rather than a generalized cross-section of people Yes, this is LOGICAL.

If an Aspie person lives in fear, envy, loathing, whatever of the "Neurotypicals," this person isn't going anywhere.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 8:09 am

Any time you disagree with anyone about anything, you’re judging them to be wrong—or you wouldn’t disagree. You think your own belief is right, because otherwise you wouldn’t hold it in the first place. They have every right to take offence at your judgement that their belief is wrong. In fact, they can take offence at anything they want, since they decide what to take offence at; you don’t decide for them.

It logically follows that critical thinking is cowardly unless you publicly voice all your views so anyone who doesn’t like them can come and try to beat the s**t out of you. Critical thinking is a luxury to be dearly earned.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 8:21 am

I'm starting not to understand the direction this thread is going.

First of all, KRAFTIE -- nobody here is talking about living in fear of, envy of, or loathing of neurotypicals, I didn't think anyway.

Don't know why you capitalize the word LOGICAL. You know, you don't have to assume that anyone here is completely lacking in LOGIC --- I have SOME MYSELF, believe it or not.

Spiderpig, critical thinking is actually something different, it's the process of examining a thing, not being actually critical of others.

The OP is being a wee bit critical of SOME NTs but there is also a manner in which a person can wonder why someone does things without necessarily judging them for it, was one of the points I was trying to make, speaking for myself.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 8:23 am

Spiderpig wrote:
Any time you disagree with anyone about anything, you’re judging them to be wrong—or you wouldn’t disagree. You think your own belief is right, because otherwise you wouldn’t hold it in the first place. They have every right to take offence at your judgement that their belief is wrong. In fact, they can take offence at anything they want, since they decide what to take offence at; you don’t decide for them.

It logically follows that critical thinking is cowardly unless you publicly voice all your views so anyone who doesn’t like them can come and try to beat the s**t out of you. Critical thinking is a luxury to be dearly earned.

There's a difference between a difference of opinion (subjective), and a wrongly held belief contrary to hard evidence (ie the Catholic church vs Galileo). Opinions supported by hard evidence is different than voicing a personal opinion based on a few examples.

Differences of personal opinions can be debated without coming to blows in a modern society. That's why PPR continues to exist. :wink:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 8:29 am

Oh brother LOL....

I didn't mean to imply that i'm logical, and others aren't. I'm just a schmuck in the street, really, in all honesty.

I've f****d up in life. That's why I know the warning signs of screwing up.

I have observed that if you blame everything on the "system," you're staying put, not going anyhere, not progressing.

(I'm talking in general, not pertaining to any specific person! I'm using the collective "you" here)

I'm also saying that it's illogical to let your life be ruined by generalizations.

That a certain group of people are screwing you....that's the reason you haven't attained your goals.

I haven't attained mine---not by a longshot. I blame the "system" in a way---but I also blame myself for being too damn lazy. The "system" didn't cause most of my woes. I caused them.

But it's useless to blame myself. And it's useless to blame the "system."

There's nothing wrong with using your mistakes to progress.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 8:39 am

But I don't gather that anyone here said there's anything wrong with "using your mistakes to progress." I don't even recall anyone on this thread blaming a group of people for their own failings.....I'm not quite sure why you're introducing these issues.

The OP simply started out asking is it wrong to think sometimes of NTs as "stupid." If anything, that doesn't sound like he's blaming them for his own problems, but rather the contrary, it almost sounds as if he finds himself to be superior to NTs sometimes. Big difference.

Bottom line in my own opinion, for what that's worth:

PERSONALLY, this is just me, not the OP, just my two cents --

It's wrong to dismiss a whole group of people as anything -- (stupid, etc)

It's not wrong or even necessarily a criticism, however, to notice that there are things "many" people do that you don't understand the appeal of, or ways that many people think which you don't understand their mechanism.

This was called judging upthread but I don't even believe that to be judging people, just observing the difference.

Oh god I'm exhausted.

I feel like a lot of people today aren't understanding each other around here at the moment. Maybe it's just me but I feel like I can't say anything right today without being taken the wrong way, and others seem to be doing it to each other too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 8:43 am

That's the essence of life....getting it wrong, then allowing yourself to get it right eventually.

And I am the Wolfman!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 8:53 am

Sometimes, I feel like I have a big "bullseye" on my forehead, or other prominent part of my body.

I don't like that feeling. I don't look for "bullseyes" in other people.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 8:56 am

If that's meant to suggest that you feel I'm "targeting" you....?......I'm really not. It's just that sometimes actually I get a feeling it's you who are targeting me, because sometimes I get an impression that things you say in one thread seem to refer to things that were bones of contention in another thread entirely, and you've brought them over with an axe to grind.

I just get that from some of your posts. I don't see a bullseye, I just question you sometimes because it seems like there's something on your mind that isn't always completely pertinent to the thread.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 9:03 am

The first part isn't true.

The last part....maybe I do that. Maybe I insert new stuff into a thread which bears little relation to the ongoing discussion. But it could establish a relationship with it.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 9:08 am

Behaviors are stupid, not people. That's probably the fairest way of looking at things. Doing something stupid doesn't make us stupid as a whole person. Likewise doing good things, bad things, etc.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 9:18 am

That's a good way of looking at it.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 9:40 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
Spiderpig, critical thinking is actually something different, it's the process of examining a thing, not being actually critical of others.

I know what critical thinking is, and that’s what I was talking about. The problem with critical thinking is that it leads you to disagree with other people when they contradict facts or logic, and, for the reasons I mentioned above, they can take offence at this disagreement. Therefore, by the standards I slowly and painfully (though not nearly as painfully as I deserved) learned people defend more or less universally and probably by instinct, you have to take openly the chance that someone stronger and meaner will physically punish you for reaching conclusions they don’t like—otherwise, it’s cowardly.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 9:41 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
I've never thought of neurotypical people as "stupid" but I have been genuinely puzzled by SOME of the things that seem to make large numbers of the general population happy, things that I find to be odd behavior I have never felt drawn to.

If large numbers of the general population are drawn to a behavior, then it is not odd. It would be more odd that you and others are not drawn to it.