Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

newaspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2007, 10:46 pm

I have terrible long-term and short-term memory, but especially bad short-term memory. I have long-term memories that stick, but they have to be overly exciting or traumatic.

It actually scares me the number of times people around me bring things up that I honestly have no memory of whatsoever. And I'm usually the only one that cannot remember. Sometimes if they give me enough details, I can bring up a "fuzzy" memory, but often it never comes at all: it's completely gone and unretrievable. My daughter becomes extremely frustrated with me over this.

I do have an amazing memory for research and facts, especially when it comes to the areas that highly interest me, ie. my "passions".

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 10:52 pm

I don't know about short-term vs. long-term, but I have an excellent rote memory (this is an NLD trait), but a terrible episodic memory (memory for things which have happened to me). I can memorize pages of information incredibly quickly, but I have difficulty remembering events from my life that happened not that long ago, and what I do remember tends to be somewhat erroneous, if I'm to believe other people.

newaspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2007, 11:03 am

What is NLD? That's a new one to me.

madscientist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 May 2007, 2:01 pm

NLD = Nonverbal Learning Disabilities.

This is really interesting. I also have an excellent long-term/rote memory, but terrible episodic retention. From the posts in this thread it sounds like this is extremely typical of aspies, but I've never read it before in any of the literature on the subject. Admittedly a non-scientific study, but fascinating nonetheless.

Basement
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 May 2007, 5:18 pm

My short term can be pretty bad but my long term can be quite reliable. I seem to be quite good with certain strings of information such as bank account numbers, PIN numbers, door codes, phone numbers etc. Maybe that's rote stuff.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 5:22 pm

Me too! Crystal clear memories from decades ago.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 5:24 pm

Yes, that would be me. I would get a call from someone and they'll tell me to tell someone something and sometimes if I don't write it down, I'll forget stuff. I also can remember certain things that happened, like a major earthquake and what I was doing before it happened. I'm also good with remembering facts, so I don't have to study very hard for tests.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 May 2007, 6:39 pm

Basement wrote:
My short term can be pretty bad but my long term can be quite reliable. I seem to be quite good with certain strings of information such as bank account numbers, PIN numbers, door codes, phone numbers etc. Maybe that's rote stuff.

Recently I couldn't access a certain account because I forgot the user name but I remembered the
pass code. The pass code was based on old phone numbers from childhood, but the user-name was
new variation of my real name. Figures I would remember a phone number from almost 40 years ago.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 8:53 pm

Well, I remember musing what it must have felt like to forget when I was like 6-7. My short term memory got steadily worse, and like 5 months ago was PITIFUL! I AM middle aged. Anyway, NOW some tests indicate anywhere from 5% below low average to about 10% above high average(The first time really trying to get a good score, I generally do 10% above high average.), so I apparently am not that bad now. I am trying to take nutrients, push myself, and have been trying to improve through tests and practice.

As for LONG term memory? I have near instant recall of a LOT of things, and most are decades old. I remember most events well though.

BTW Aspies ARE supposed to have good rote memories. Some criteria say that is the only way they can remember. That isn't true of me, and apparantly not of anyone else here.

Steve

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 7:46 pm

Memory is a big topic. There are different ways to look at memory. I have an imperfect working/short-term memory but a better long term (yet still imperfect) memory. My visual memory is noticeably a little stronger than my auditory memory (due to central auditory processing disorder - CAPD). At one time my visual memory was mildly semi-photographic in many ways. It still is in small ways but not completely like it was at one time (years ago). Memory - http://www.waiting.com/glossarym.html - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroanatomy_of_memory