I spirituality/religion a useless insanity?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 6:11 am

Alas, I thought our prophet and saviour Tallyman had returned to us. :(

Extrication
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Aug 2016, 10:03 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
That and, as far as I can tell, any passage in the bible about God 'speaking' creation into existence really puts us in a place of pantheism.

To be honest, I wouldn't know since I've never been able to stomach reading any more than a few pages. Though I will say that I find pantheism to be of greater interest than monotheism. No dichotomous thinking.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 4:06 pm

The compartmentalization in good/evil dualism of the variety that you find in most popular western traditions is awful and I think it's been the biggest part of the logic trap that seems to keep a lot of believers having one set of rules for work and academics, even if they're in an advanced degree field, and a YEC set of rules at the personal and interpersonal level. To realize that good and evil are both circumstantial and complex erodes confidence in any sort of idea of hierarchical angels and demons fighting over souls.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

BlasphemousDoggy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2016, 1:56 am

I am very much an atheist but at the same time I believe that people should have the right to believe in whatever religion that they want to believe in as long as they don't actually hurt other people in the name of their religious beliefs. The point of any religion ever created was pretty much to try and teach people how to be civilized and have morals (which as an atheist I believe that everyone should decide morals for themselves and realize that some things are just common sense like stealing, rape, killing, etc). Plus they make people feel better about the fact that they will all die one day by convincing them that there is some form of afterlife where they will continue to exist even after death and if they are especially good before they die they will be rewarded with a better afterlife than the life they have.

Religion has its ups as well as downs and if it helps some people feel more better about the world than I say more power to it just as long as people like myself don't get burned at the stake or stoned to death just for not believing in any of it.