RetroGamer's Worst Date Ever!

Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 8:49 am

androbot01 wrote:
So are you being overlooked for promotion because you don't have a degree?
In a manner of speaking. I would like to move from the test team to the dev team. I really enjoy working with code and in the test team I could move up into a higher pay bracket. The test team is a bit of a dead end.

But without a bachelor of software engineering joining the dev team is quite unrealistic.
androbot01 wrote:
Also, don't define yourself by how the Chinese girl behaved. Just move on; don't give her the power.
Unfortunately I give that power to everyone, not just her. Even people I've never met get compared to me in my thoughts. I usually lose in the comparison.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 6:18 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I would like to move from the test team to the dev team. I really enjoy working with code and in the test team I could move up into a higher pay bracket. The test team is a bit of a dead end.

But without a bachelor of software engineering joining the dev team is quite unrealistic.

Honestly, I suggest being happy with what you have. Taking out three to four years for a bachelor's at this stage of your life would be counterproductive, I think. You can be like the Wolowitz of your team.

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Unfortunately I give that power to everyone, not just her.

Yeah, I do it too. All my life I've been coaxed to be something other than what I am, so it is second nature to me to value myself in the way people perceive me. (As an aside, I think this is one of the big flaws of ABA.)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 6:38 am

The one who rejects always has this power.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 4:45 pm

androbot01 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
I would like to move from the test team to the dev team. I really enjoy working with code and in the test team I could move up into a higher pay bracket. The test team is a bit of a dead end.

Honestly, I suggest being happy with what you have. Taking out three to four years for a bachelor's at this stage of your life would be counterproductive, I think.
Sad but true :(

I'll always wonder whether or not I'm capable of doing it and I'll never know.

Maybe I would've hated it or maybe I would've really enjoyed it. I'll never know that either.

I've asked about this on a few other forums. People always say "It doesn't matter that you're 28, my uncles Neighbour's best friend went to college when he was 65 and he still graduated". This is when they assume I'm unemployed. But I'm not so I'll continue to labour under the glass ceiling of my own making. Only educated people beyond this point.

Another thing that put me off was my father started his bachelor of economics when he was 40. Now people are quite correct when they say college has no age limit. He had quite a lonely experience in college, being older than everyone but college is willing to take anyone's money, regardless of whether they're likely to find employment. He didn't. No accounting firm wanted to hire a 44 year new graduate. They wanted either a 22 year old or a 44 year old with 20 years of experience. That's reality.

Sure age discrimination is illegal but they don't have to say why they didn't hire him. Even if they were required to hire a middle aged worker, they could just get one the same age but with 20 years experience.

I enjoy coding more than testing but it will never be my job without a degree. I'll never know that sense of achievement, that campus social scene, fraternising with college girls, promotion, higher wages, more responsibility, the respect of my peers or self-respect. That ship has sailed.
androbot01 wrote:
You can be like the Wolowitz of your team.
He has a master's degree in engineering from MIT. He's more qualified than most of the time people at my work.
androbot01 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Unfortunately I give that power to everyone, not just her.
Yeah, I do it too. All my life I've been coaxed to be something other than what I am, so it is second nature to me to value myself in the way people perceive me.
That's our culture of achievement. That's the way the powers that be want it.
androbot01 wrote:
(As an aside, I think this is one of the big flaws of ABA.)
What's ABA?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 5:23 pm

Applied Behavioral Analysis.

Basically, within this method, good behavior is rewarded, and the therapist gives some sort of negative reinforcement when autistic-type behavior is exhibited.

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2016, 10:08 pm

OP:

I had a very similar experience to this, once.

Turns out she was seeing more than just me, when she decided I was no longer a contender, she vanished.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 4:29 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I'll never know that sense of achievement, that campus social scene, fraternising with college girls, promotion, higher wages, more responsibility, the respect of my peers or self-respect. That ship has sailed.

Most entrepreneurs don't have university; I doubt they spend much time worrying about what they missed. Not that I'm suggesting you become an entrepreneur (although if you have any ideas, go for it,) just that you don't waste good energy on regret.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 5:16 am

Who knows what's in store for you in the future?

Perhaps take an online course in IT? Would they take a Bachelor's from an American online university like the University of Phoenix?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 8:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Would they take a Bachelor's from an American online university like the University of Phoenix?
They certainly would. That is, if I lived in Phoenix for four years and attended in person. They don't mind which country people get their degree in but they hate online degrees. They consider them to be fake degrees.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 8:46 am

I went back on OKC and the girls there are all terrible. They're all idiots I could never have a conversation with. They all seem so vain. They talk about how great they are unashamedly. They're actually proud of their flaws. They think it's cute and funny to talk about how fat and lazy they are. They think it's cute for them to act and dress like a bratty teenager even when they're 31 years old.

Most of them have profile pics in which they're doing the duckface. I hate the duckface! The duckface is the most unsexy thing in the history of the universe!

This really makes me miss my ex. I felt like I could have actual conversations with her. She really put an effort into getting to know me. Not like other girls who just drone about about stuff they know I have no interest in. Like that one girl who kept going on about how her hobby is spray painting things pink. How does she expect me to have enthusiasm for pink things?

My ex kept saying she wasn't very smart. She didn't have booksmarts but she was a good conversationalist. These girls on OKC say they won't meet me until they talk for a while except that none of them can hold a conversation. 99% of the girls on OKC girls are just boring to talk to.