Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 6:06 am

There is a certain anime series which satirizes humans' relationship with clothing and fascism, but in reality people see so much in clothing and yet very little, although the insanity remains... I have in mind https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_ba ... e_covering - it is obviously a factor in that country's problems with terrorism, but why? They're supposedly upholding women's rights by forcing them to get naked...? (On a beach...) Who are we kidding? Some may want to cover themselves (obese people e.g... I wonder why no one ever proposes that they must absolutely be naked)...

France is supposed to be about liberty, but forcing people to wear one thing or another obviously goes in the face of that...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 8:03 am

Have long thought that forcing women to NOT wear certain garmets was just as 'unAmerican' as is forcing them to wear those garmets. So France is as bad as the Islamic Republic of whateverstan.

Granted that a full-on burka, which covers your whole face except your eyes the way a bandit's mask covers your face, has good practical reasons for being banned in places like airports, or banks. So that might be an exception.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

20 Aug 2016, 9:30 am

France's veil ban is fully justified, one can not walk around in a mask so why should their be a religious exception? There should be no religious exceptions for any laws. The purpose of the veil is to segregate and to show Muslim women as off limits, they look at Western women as whores and would kill a Muslim woman for leaving the faith. It's not forcing these women to be 'naked', maybe in the perverse way as defined in Islam but not being allowed to cover your face is perfectly acceptable and is already the law in most places altho those that hide behind religion try to get this special privilege. If someone wants to live with a veil on their face then move to Saudi Arabia or Pakistan or wherever, here in the west you should adhere to our values or get out. Inviting a fifth columnists, immigrants that don't want to and never intend to integrate are of no use to our countries. Islam should not be protected by the state, it should not be encouraged or facilitated in any way, there shouldn't be any exceptions made. Honestly, their children should not be educated in it, there should be no tolerance for Sharia law. The "multikulti" is un-American and is destroying Europe, the melting pot where peoples leave behind the ways of 'the old world' is what made America great. I would go even further; ban religious circumcision of minors, ritual slaughter, and foreign funding of mosques/madrasas. Assimilate or go home. People that immigrate to our countries need to respect our values not the other way around.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 9:52 am

Or perhaps you should assimilate to rationality, for once, if only... point is that it's clothes, and if I hate people looking at me (hey, you're on an ASD website, who knew) then I don't want people looking at me (I often use a big umbrella to get the same effect, or a hat with a long peak... ooh, am I not assimilating to your bigotry yet? :-o) - point isn't religion at all, even if in this case one does use clothing in such manner. Point is liberty, from both parties... but sure, FGM and unanesthetization infringes upon the other (which is what restricting clothing does as well to a lesser degree)...

And using your argument, perhaps you should go 'home' if you refuse to wear Native American clothing... hypocrisy, through the roof.

Last edited by Mootoo on 20 Aug 2016, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 10:02 am

France for some reason has a history of having issues with clothing, especially clothing for women. Long after many states had given up on the notion of state mandated dress codes, France continued having laws dictating what women could or could not wear.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

20 Aug 2016, 10:45 am

Mootoo wrote:
Or perhaps you should assimilate to rationality, for once, if only... point is that it's clothes, and if I hate people looking at me (hey, you're on an ASD website, who knew) then I don't want people looking at me (I often use a big umbrella to get the same effect, or a hat with a long peak... ooh, am I not assimilating to your bigotry yet? :-o) - point isn't religion at all, even if in this case one does use clothing in such manner. Point is liberty, from both parties... but sure, FGM and unanesthetization infringes upon the other (which is what restricting clothing does as well to a lesser degree)...

And using your argument, perhaps you should go 'home' if you refuse to wear Native American clothing... hypocrisy, through the roof.

How about don't wear a mask out in public? Pretty easy, same rules apply to everybody and nothing 'bigoted' about it. Why should Islam(or any religion for the that matter) be given special privileges? Because they'll threaten to bomb and behead you in the middle of the street like your soldier Lee Rigby otherwise? Why would you want religious extremists in your country that hate you and everything about your culture? Do you believe in their blasphemy laws too?

What about Native Americans now? Your post is mostly one big non-sequitor. Umbrellas, what?

Religious liberty cannot come at the expense of individual liberty, human rights, and the rule of law. Just because something is a religious practice means it should be protected by the state, making exceptions is the establishment of religion in my opinion. People can believe what they want to believe in their minds, banning veils does not change that.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a harmonious nation but that doesn't fit the interests of the ruling classes who need to proles to divided against each other and unlimited third world labor to forever keep downward pressure on wages. These fat cats don't want to pay you any bigger chuck of their obscene profits, they'll make your life worse to make theirs better.

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2016, 11:43 am

The clothing just represents the values - which, for many, are worth dying for.

Why is Islam such a threat? Almost 1/4 of the world's population don't buy America's products.....

...wait for it....

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 1:31 pm

My pastor, when he had been a missionary in Nigeria, Africa, had recounted being warned before leaving America that more than one Christian missionary's wife had been lynched by rural mobs because they believe any woman exposing her bare legs is a prostitute. But a woman baring her breasts in rural Africa is considered nothing out of the ordinary, thus demonstrating the gulf between different civilizations.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 6:37 pm

Dying -no.
Killing -yeah, I'm pretty sure that's a better question....

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 8:59 pm

Cant have killing with out dying. ^

Even indirectly clothing has caused upheavels and wars.

The Enclosure Movement in Britain was all about wool.

The American Civil War wouldnt have happened if cotton had not been such a valuable cash crop.

Fiber has been at least as big an economic driving force as food and fuel.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 6:32 am

I don't agree with any law regarding what people should wear (other than basic standards of hygiene and age appropriate areas taken into account).

If they want to wear a revealing bikini or a ninja suit, then that's their choice.

Of course, it doesn't work this way with people, and it's one of the problems with a genuine multicultural society (different cultural norms and trying to fit them together; it can be akin to fitting a square peg in a round hole).

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 7:59 am

Jacoby wrote:
Because they'll threaten to bomb and behead you in the middle of the street like your soldier Lee Rigby otherwise?

And, of course, anyone who wears anything does that.

I wonder if you were thinking of logic when mentioning a non-sequitur, because yours is fallacious too.

A template of what many people seem to think like:
Some Rimnars are Jornars.
Some Jornars are Dimnars.
Therefore, Rimnars are Dimnars.

Bell curves and all? There's always extremists and moderates, but I doubt those who veil themselves are the instigators (besides, yet again, standard deviation) - funny thing is that the way prejudice works it only creates more hatred, so no, people who think a billion people are a problem are contributing to that problem.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 10:37 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p045xzz8 expresses this eloquently... pope even demeaned religion to stand up for reason.