Venting of a "friendzoned" AS dude

Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 6:29 pm

Hello, everyone. New member here in need of support from fellow Aspies. (Or non-Aspies. In all honesty, I welcome all thoughts from everyone.)

So I had a far-from-pleasant experience just yesterday, and I felt like venting about it somewhere else than by means of written words on paper. I already frequent seven other forums, but I felt as though my rambling would be most welcome in a less niche-focused one.

Now then, I've spent the last two months talking to this girl I met on one of the forums I frequent. We became friends apparently quickly, and we both even already expressed our wishes to meet each other in person. It's still quite far off, though, and that's not what I'm venting about either.

These past two weeks, some interesting developments occurred. I shared one of my prior written ramblings with her in which I contemplated the possibility of me having a crush on her. I made no mention of her by name, but she seemed to get the idea. We spent the following week or so staying relatively quiet about it, although she did say she was thinking similarly to me.

Then, one morning, I woke up to a message from her on Snapchat saying that she needed some time. I gave her my full understanding and support, until...

I woke up to another message from her yesterday.

In that message, she now said that she wanted to keep me as a friend. I was devastated. But still, I told her that I understood. I felt like I wasn't being entirely honest, but I didn't know what else to say.

In the 22 years I've lived, I haven't ever experienced anything close to love up until now. It was bad enough when I obsessed about getting a girlfriend for God knows how many years, and when I finally experience my first serious crush, this has to happen.

Comfort me. :|

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 7:04 pm

I'm not very good at being comforting, I'm afraid.

You met online. You formed a crush on her. You let her know this in an oblique fashion, but she picked up on it anyway. And she said she was thinking she may have similar feelings for you. Then she lets you know she needs some time - presumably of not being in contact with you in order to keep a clear head whilst mulling it over - and then, today, she lets you know she values your friendship, but doesn't want it to turn romantic.

Do I have that right?

Well, you'll be fine, in time. Unrequited love (or indeed, 'crush') is a lousy situation but, she wants to be your friend. Assuming you want to be her friend, and can be her friend, make the most of it.

If you're wondering if there's a possibility of something happening between you two, then I would assume there is, but I would advise against being her friend simply in the hope of the relationship changing to something else.

I don't know this particular girl's disposition, but, for me, a friend is someone I think is a damn fantastic person and whose perspective and intelligence and taste I really appreciate and enjoy, but who it just happens I don't want to be romantically or sexually involved with. I think the term and notion of 'the friendzone' cheapens and lessens the worth and warmth of friendship.

Appreciate the friendship, and I'm sure she will, too. There'll be other girls, and other crushes, and other disappointments.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 7:07 pm

The first time getting your heart broken is the worst. It's a new kind of pain, but you'll get through it. It will be difficult at first, but over time the pain fades and you'll move on.

At least you know where you stand and you won't be agonising over whether she likes you back. You know the truth now and you are free to move on, free to grieve the loss and free to heal.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 7:14 pm

Hopper wrote:
I'm not very good at being comforting, I'm afraid.

You met online. You formed a crush on her. You let her know this in an oblique fashion, but she picked up on it anyway. And she said she was thinking she may have similar feelings for you. Then she lets you know she needs some time - presumably of not being in contact with you in order to keep a clear head whilst mulling it over - and then, today, she lets you know she values your friendship, but doesn't want it to turn romantic.

Do I have that right?

Well, you'll be fine, in time. Unrequited love (or indeed, 'crush') is a lousy situation but, she wants to be your friend. Assuming you want to be her friend, and can be her friend, make the most of it.

If you're wondering if there's a possibility of something happening between you two, then I would assume there is, but I would advise against being her friend simply in the hope of the relationship changing to something else.

I don't know this particular girl's disposition, but, for me, a friend is someone I think is a damn fantastic person and whose perspective and intelligence and taste I really appreciate and enjoy, but who it just happens I don't want to be romantically or sexually involved with. I think the term and notion of 'the friendzone' cheapens and lessens the worth and warmth of friendship.

Appreciate the friendship, and I'm sure she will, too. There'll be other girls, and other crushes, and other disappointments.

You got it mostly right - only we did stay in contact during that week. We just didn't discuss our feelings very openly.

The thing is that I have rather conflicting feelings in regards to the turn of events. She's an amazing person and I like her as a friend, but at the same time, I want her to be my significant other for life.

Either way, thanks for contributing.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 10:49 pm

I think i understand. I have a male acquaintance that I want to be more than friends with, but I'm trying to remain friends with him and it's just not working. It hurts too much and I still have feelings for him. I really don't think the friendship is going to work out.

I'm even thinking of moving to a different town so that I can stop bumping into him or his family when I'm out and about. I'd like to go to the supermarket without the anxiety of having to pretend I'm OK if I see them.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 11:00 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I think i understand. I have a male acquaintance that I want to be more than friends with, but I'm trying to remain friends with him and it's just not working. It hurts too much and I still have feelings for him. I really don't think the friendship is going to work out.

I'm even thinking of moving to a different town so that I can stop bumping into him or his family when I'm out and about. I'd like to go to the supermarket without the anxiety of having to pretend I'm OK if I see them.

It's a relief knowing that I'm not the only one struggling with this. I relate to you in that respect.

Luckily I don't have the latter problem with her, since we live on opposite sides of the planet. I don't even want to imagine how that'd go.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 11:29 pm

I can say for a fact that being in the friendzone beats the burlap outta being in the creepzone. :oops:

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 4:26 am

The first girl I had a crush on didn't really care about me much at all.
The second girl downright despised me.
Only with the third girl did I have the privilege of being "friendzoned". It was indirect though, I never asked her out, but she got herself a boyfriend, so clearly I was just a friend in her eyes.

I advice distancing yourself from her. It's not meant as a punishment to her or anything, it's simply for your benefit. I find the best way to get over a crush is to not be around them - if you stay close to her you'll just end up feeling sorry for yourself, and you could end up missing out on the girl that does show interest in you because you're still obsessed with this one.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 4:40 am

Sabreclaw wrote:
The first girl I had a crush on didn't really care about me much at all.
The second girl downright despised me.
Only with the third girl did I have the privilege of being "friendzoned". It was indirect though, I never asked her out, but she got herself a boyfriend, so clearly I was just a friend in her eyes.

I advice distancing yourself from her. It's not meant as a punishment to her or anything, it's simply for your benefit. I find the best way to get over a crush is to not be around them - if you stay close to her you'll just end up feeling sorry for yourself, and you could end up missing out on the girl that does show interest in you because you're still obsessed with this one.

As much as I appreciate your advice, I feel as though she might get the wrong idea if I did so. I feel like she'd think that I don't want to be her friend anymore, and I'd hate to make both of us feel bad in that manner. Besides, no other girl has ever expressed their interest in me either way.

Don't get the wrong idea, though - while I still have feelings for her, I'm not going to force myself upon her. I'm smart enough to know when to take a step back. I do kind of hope it'll eventually be possible for us to give it a go again, but for now, I'll just sit back and see how things play out from here.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 12:45 am

whatamievendoing wrote:
Hello, everyone. New member here in need of support from fellow Aspies. (Or non-Aspies. In all honesty, I welcome all thoughts from everyone.)

So I had a far-from-pleasant experience just yesterday, and I felt like venting about it somewhere else than by means of written words on paper. I already frequent seven other forums, but I felt as though my rambling would be most welcome in a less niche-focused one.

Now then, I've spent the last two months talking to this girl I met on one of the forums I frequent. We became friends apparently quickly, and we both even already expressed our wishes to meet each other in person. It's still quite far off, though, and that's not what I'm venting about either.

These past two weeks, some interesting developments occurred. I shared one of my prior written ramblings with her in which I contemplated the possibility of me having a crush on her. I made no mention of her by name, but she seemed to get the idea. We spent the following week or so staying relatively quiet about it, although she did say she was thinking similarly to me.

Then, one morning, I woke up to a message from her on Snapchat saying that she needed some time. I gave her my full understanding and support, until...

I woke up to another message from her yesterday.

In that message, she now said that she wanted to keep me as a friend. I was devastated. But still, I told her that I understood. I felt like I wasn't being entirely honest, but I didn't know what else to say.

In the 22 years I've lived, I haven't ever experienced anything close to love up until now. It was bad enough when I obsessed about getting a girlfriend for God knows how many years, and when I finally experience my first serious crush, this has to happen.

Comfort me. :|

I would not agree to position yourself as her friend if you still have a crush on her. The reason for this is three fold. If you say you are fine with just being friends (but really aren't), and she interacts with you as a friend, you will likely grow resentful. You will bet that guy who is pretending to be her friend while you are actually becoming resentful towards her for not having feelings for you, and then you are not her friend, but her enemy. Also, you may permanently entrench yourself in her mind as a friend.

If you remain civil but part ways, you introduce the chance that she will see you as something more than a friend, should your paths cross again in the future.

So politely tell her you understand, and that you wish her the best for the future, and then distance yourself and focus on dating other people for the time.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 12:54 am

In the next chat, tell her that you had a date with a girl and tell her it was great. :v muhaha

Watch then how she reacts.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 2:59 am

Chronos wrote:
I would not agree to position yourself as her friend if you still have a crush on her. The reason for this is three fold. If you say you are fine with just being friends (but really aren't), and she interacts with you as a friend, you will likely grow resentful. You will bet that guy who is pretending to be her friend while you are actually becoming resentful towards her for not having feelings for you, and then you are not her friend, but her enemy. Also, you may permanently entrench yourself in her mind as a friend.

If you remain civil but part ways, you introduce the chance that she will see you as something more than a friend, should your paths cross again in the future.

So politely tell her you understand, and that you wish her the best for the future, and then distance yourself and focus on dating other people for the time.

I did tell her that I understood and that I didn't blame her for anything. But I also let her know about the other side of it, which helped in its own way. In fact, I'm already even starting to recover, shockingly enough.

In regards to the whole "dating other people" thing, let me just say that I have no intention of involving myself in that. I'm happy enough being single, and while this incident did leave somewhat of a void inside me, I refuse to fill it just for the sake of filling it.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 3:07 am

If you want to avoid the friend-zone, tell her you have a crush (on somebody, don't be specific) make sure you talk a lot about love and relationships (in 3:rd person, you shouldn't directly address her). That way she cannot friend-zone you, and if she stays in touch with you, you can be pretty sure it's mutual.

PuzzlePieces1
Raven
Raven

28 Aug 2016, 2:39 pm

I'm going to tell you something that I wish someone had said to me when I was a young man.

There are 7 billion people on Planet Earth and those are roughly split evenly between men and women. That means that there are at least 3.5 billion women on this planet. There are lots and lots and lots of women out there. Literally more women than you could ever meet in your lifetime if you met a new woman every minute of every day.

Do you know what that means? You have lots and lots and lots of options. There is an overabundance of romantic prospects for you. You don't need to feel upset if one individual woman doesn't reciprocate your feelings. It's her loss and there is always someone else who can easily replace her.

Once you internalize that "abundance mentality", your romantic life will improve tremendously. If you need to, take a moment and jot down a list of all your positive qualities. Look over that honest, long list of all the things that make you great. The problem is with HER if she doesn't recognize what a catch you are.

Then you move on to someone more suitable for you. Someone who will truly appreciate you.

Just in the United States alone you have millions and millions of options.

Chin up, buddy. It's going to be okay. :-)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 2:49 pm

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 3:38 pm

PuzzlePieces1 wrote:
IIf you need to, take a moment and jot down a list of all your positive qualities. Look over that honest, long list of all the things that make you great. The problem is with HER if she doesn't recognize what a catch you are.

In the interest of balance, OP could well be a terrible human being and might not be much of a catch. For all we know he spits at homeless people and tells friendly cats to go away when they come up to him in the street. He probably doesn't, and in fact is probably a perfectly decent person, but I just wanted to be clear that, though encouragement and support can be a good thing, offering them to a homeless-spitter and cat-ignorer would only reinforce their terrible behaviour. ;)

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.