OK, I have a disability, but I'm more right-wing

Page 6 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2016, 10:02 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
How is it a moral ideal to selfishly not help others?

Nobody said it was.

Quote:
Even most atheists

I'm not asking even most atheists, I'm asking you (and anybody else who wants to base public policy on the 'ideal' of altruistic self-sacrifice).

Quote:
hold loving your neighbor to be an utmost value.

That doesn't even make sense. Love is an emotion; an emotion is an involuntary response. Can you will yourself to love somebody?

Quote:
The fact that we are social animals

There are obvious advantages to living in a civilized society (but I'd rather be alone on a desert island than in a slave-pen society like Stalinist Russia) and most people enjoy some amount of voluntary social interaction. This may not be the ideal forum in which to argue about what a "social animal" the human is.

Quote:
means we, by our very nature, have to depend on one another, otherwise our society ultimately collapses.

Nonsense. I need groceries, the grocer needs customers; we trade to our mutual advantage – but it's an abuse of the language to say that we "depend" on one another, as a baby helplessly depends on its parents.

You're having trouble staying on topic here. Aside from 'Because Jesus says so,' why do you hold altruistic self-sacrifice to be the moral ideal?

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2016, 10:55 pm

^^^
I think I explained as well as I can.