7 year old son obsession with tide pod

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Sarars
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Aug 2016, 8:47 pm

My 7 year old with aspergers has an obsession with the feeling of tide pods. If I do not keep a close eye on him he will sneak into the laundry room just to feel them. Any ideas of something I can make that will mimic this feeling? Please help! It makes me so nervous!!

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 1:30 am

Hey :), Wasnt sure what tide pods were but after looking at them i think i get the idea, maybe something like this link that has a similarity to the texture and squidginess without the toxicity you may be looking for.. Hope it helps a little :)

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/stress-toy

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 1:02 pm

Fortunately, I think there are lots of things! Hard to say if it is the softness of the gelatin-packet coating or if it is the squashing-around liquid. Another thing to try if the stress toy link doesn't do it - teething packs and ice packs for little kids that are gel-filled. There are water-filled play mats for babies, too. Bubble wrap is always a good thing.

"Gusher" style candy and gum may do it. Jell-o "jigglers" might as well.

I would also suggest that you get rid of the detergent and go back to traditional until he gets beyond this phase - those things are dangerous enough when eaten that the FDA is considering a ban.

Romansky123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2018, 10:24 pm

gel packs

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 10:28 pm

hide and lock up the tide pods, first of all.

gel packs? gushers candy? these things come to mind, "water wigglies".

then again i have never actually seen a tide pod in the wild so i don't know what they feel like exactly.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 10:39 pm

Why don't you just not buy Tide Pods and replace them with liquid or powdered detergent? And yes, toys that are safer with a similar feel are a good idea, too.

Lately there sure have been a lot of these soft squishy toys that look like candy and desserts that are scented and have kawaii faces on them. My only problem with them is that they make me start craving and want to eat the real treats. But only the real treats and not the toys that look like them. :lol:

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 2:52 pm

At the risk of being that guy who seems cavalier with the well being of a child, don't you have confidence that your child will not eat the pods? Perhaps he has a history of doing things like that in which case your concern is valid. Otherwise, if you explained to the kid not to eat the pods, and that they can be harmful, if he's a relatively normal 7 year old he'd be fine with having one. Just my two cents.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 2:53 pm

Your son is obsessed with Tide Pods? My, that's quite a challenge you got on your hands :D. I kid, I kid! :D But on a serious note, do what you can to make sure your son never tries to eat them. Maybe sprinkle them liberally with baking soda (harmless to clothes in the washer), so your son gets a bad taste if he puts them in his mouth. As an added bonus, the powdery texture will make them feel less pleasant on his hands, reducing his compulsion to feel them.

But yeah, the best way keep your son safe is to remove the source of temptation. Which means stop buying Tide Pods altogether. And donate the existing ones to a homeless shelter or something. If your sons asks, just say the Tide Pods didn't get the clothes clean enough, and you went back to a regular detergent because you wanted something better.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 5:24 pm

I'm guessing at what they feel like a bit here but how about jelly (I think it's called jello in the US) in it's packet, it has that skwoogy but firm feel. Damn! I want some to skwooge, but the shops are shut :( .

I'm talking about the stuff in the bars not ready made up.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 5:38 pm

I've never even heard of them before. From the discussion, it sounds like something to dispense soap.

For what it's worth, I only do laundry using "Charlie's Soap" which doesn't have all the excess crap in it that the major manufacturers put in their soaps. Charlie's Soap is hypoallergenic -- no scents at all.

One tablespoon for a full load. I bought a full sized container of it good for 1200 loads about four years ago for something like $120. I still have about 6 to 8 months of it left.

Years ago, I gave a regular sized package of it to my oldest brother's wife good for 80 loads. She used it up in less than a week. I don't think that she ever understood that she was only supposed to use a tablespoon at a time. I bet that she used a half cup or a cup at a time. Nobody is going to convince me that she was washing more 1 or 2 loads per day, much less 12 or more loads per day.

So what, exactly is a Tide Pod? Is it just packets of detergent encased in something that you just toss in the washing machine? What's the advantage to using Tide Pods?

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 5:40 pm

AspieSingleDad wrote:
At the risk of being that guy who seems cavalier with the well being of a child, don't you have confidence that your child will not eat the pods? Perhaps he has a history of doing things like that in which case your concern is valid. Otherwise, if you explained to the kid not to eat the pods, and that they can be harmful, if he's a relatively normal 7 year old he'd be fine with having one. Just my two cents.

Can the soap can get out into his hands? If it can and he rubbed his eyes, that could be a major problem.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 5:56 pm

kokopelli wrote:
AspieSingleDad wrote:

Can the soap can get out into his hands? If it can and he rubbed his eyes, that could be a major problem.

They are small enough to swallow, in fact there is a craze of people doing that on purpose :?

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 5:56 pm

AspieSingleDad wrote:
That was my thought as well. At 7 I certainly knew better than to eat detergent, like most kids that age, I'd add.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 10:56 am

Look on the bright side. Al least he's not eating the pods.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 6:15 pm

I liked the feel of Fairy Liquitabs (we don't have Tide Pods here) when I was a kid, but it never crossed my mind to eat them despite me liking to eat traditionally inedible stuff... I'm gonna leave that to stupid kids on Youtube.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 9:33 am

I wonder if the Tide Pod challenge is still going on.