How We Should React to the "New Afrocentrism"

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 11:29 pm

Hi everyone. Remember when I was a regular PPR poster in 2011 and 2013? Those were the days eh?
Anyways, back then I made a thread about Afrocentrism. I feel the need to bring this topic back because Afrocentrism seems has ballooned in popularity over the last few years. This is likely a byproduct of Black Lives Matter.

The "New Afrocentrism" has spawned quite a few pseudohistorical lies. The main lie of the "New Afrocentrism" is that Africa was entirely ruled by black people until the Muslims conquered north Africa. In reality, the people who lived in northern Africa during ancient times looked like modern North Africans ... who look Middle Eastern for the most part.

This happened because the Sahara was practically a barrier back in ancient times. Crossing it was possible ... but hardly anyone wanted to do that. Thus, the people of north Africa are closely related to the people of the Middle East. Sub-Saharan African countries are the only countries where black people are the majority. Africa has been this way for all of recorded history.

Thus, Facebook is flooding up with pics which "prove" that the Ancient Egyptians and Carthaginians were black. Many of these pics get reposted of r/cringe and related subreddits ... and not without good reason.

Of course, the right-wing reaction to the New Afrocentrism has been disgusting. The phrase "WE WAS KANGZ!" is frequently used by alt-right Trump supporters who want to degrade the New Afrocentrists ... by comparing them to dumb teenagers who are appropriating Afro-American Vernacular English incorrectly. You aren't helping bros.

In my opinion, this rise of New Afrocentrism is an opportunity. It is an opportunity to learn about real African history and teach people about it. There were black civilizations in old Africa. Egypt just wasn't one of them. Almost nobody talks about the old Ghana Empire. That was a real black civilization. Additionally, Benin was civilized before the European colonization of Africa began.

It is true that most of sub-Saharan Africa was relatively uncivilized before European colonization of Africa. That was mainly because they had poor resources. It's hard to raise farm animals when you are surrounded by tsetse flies. Jared Diamond basically proved this in Guns, Germs and Steel.

Another Thing: Even the uncivilized Africans were human beings with religions, history, music and culture. For some reason, tribal Africans are frequently portrayed as simple-minded savages in the media. That's how Native Americans were portrayed until recently.

I totally get the mentality of the New Afrocentrists. They want to learn their family history because they never learned about it in school. The public schools usually avoid the topic of African history because they see it as unimportant. That is what has caused this rebirth of pseudohistory. The schools need to start teaching kids more about the real history of sub-Saharan Africa or else this worrying trend will persist indefinitely.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 8:01 am

If I read your piece correctly the new afrocentrism when it comes to pseudo history is the same as the old one. In that case I would recommend this book. And the pseudo history you mentioned was for a time taught as fact in African studies on (mostly) American universities and with practically no academic resistance. This was either out of an unwillingness for confrontation because it would take time away that could be spend on discovering new things, or for various political motives. Or maybe it might that some just got tired from having to point out the flaws in those 'theories' that their students have learned from Afrocentrists.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 8:13 am

I respond to any form of "Afro-Centrism" with little more than bemused indifference; much the same as I respond to claims by Kim Jong Un that North Korea is the cradle of human civilization, claims by Nikita Khrushchev that the Soviet Union invented every item and form of technology, and claims by Donald Trump that America is no longer a great nation.

T minus 35 and counting.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Aug 2016, 9:43 am

I don't see why there should be any reaction besides the one they get now which is indifference and mocking.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 9:59 am

In school you should be teaching about events that shaped the World, not insignificant things. The vast majority of the school would learn nothing of value from such studies.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 10:13 am

Texas literally rewrote its history books... out of all efforts to do that surely that state takes the cake.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Aug 2016, 10:17 am

Mootoo wrote:
Texas literally rewrote its history books... out of all efforts to do that surely that state takes the cake.

what is different in Texas history than anywhere else? What exactly did they 'rewrite?

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 10:19 am

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 10:36 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Another Thing: Even the uncivilized Africans were human beings with religions, history, music and culture. For some reason, tribal Africans are frequently portrayed as simple-minded savages in the media. That's how Native Americans were portrayed until recently.

Yeah, I don't get why people fetishise civilization.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 4:47 am

It is a historical fact that Carthage was culturally a Canaanite civilization, Phoenician in particular, and there are plenty of archeological evidences that prove their Canaanite religion, and plus DNA evidences that they were Caucasians - the the first complete mitochondrial Phoenician genome was found to be related to a group of Europeans. http://www.otago.ac.nz/news/news/otago612764.html

Their tombs also show people with Caucasian features https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/56 ... 2ab1b8.jpg

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 11:34 am

Sigbold wrote:
If I read your piece correctly the new afrocentrism when it comes to pseudo history is the same as the old one. In that case I would recommend this book. And the pseudo history you mentioned was for a time taught as fact in African studies on (mostly) American universities and with practically no academic resistance. This was either out of an unwillingness for confrontation because it would take time away that could be spend on discovering new things, or for various political motives. Or maybe it might that some just got tired from having to point out the flaws in those 'theories' that their students have learned from Afrocentrists.

I still use the phrase "New Afrocentrism". I know that the ideas aren't new.
Afrocentrism has gained sudden popularity ever since Black Lives Matter came into existence. The popularity is new. The message is not.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 11:58 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
I totally get the mentality of the New Afrocentrists. They want to learn their family history because they never learned about it in school.

Let them learn about it, on their OWN time----like every other ethnicity does!

The public schools usually avoid the topic of African history because they see it as unimportant.

It is no more important than any OTHER country's / peoples' history!

That is what has caused this rebirth of pseudohistory. The schools need to start teaching kids more about the real history of sub-Saharan Africa or else this worrying trend will persist indefinitely.

What about Irish history, Israeli history, German history, Italian history, Mexican history? All these peoples----and many more----make-up American / World history. If we took time to learn all these individual histories, when do you suppose we would learn about readin', writin', and 'rithmetic?

How 'bout we learn American / World history, so we leave room for OTHER, EQUALLY important subjects!!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 6:27 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Sigbold wrote:

I still use the phrase "New Afrocentrism". I know that the ideas aren't new.
Afrocentrism has gained sudden popularity ever since Black Lives Matter came into existence. The popularity is new. The message is not.

I got what you were saying. Its an old notion thats come back in vogue again.

Some Afrocentrists are even more extreme and claim the ancient Hebrews of the Old Testament as "Blacks".

On the other hand in all of the many pics my Kansas German American Methodist Grandma had of Jesus in her home he had blue eyes. and long flowing auburn hair. That has about the same degree of historic inaccuracy as claiming that Jesus looked like an American Black. :lol: