Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 4:44 pm

I wish there were more autistics that thought like the author.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2016, 4:53 pm

I don't like this Article. I don't see the Point of Hiding my Autism because, It is obvious either way. Why Submit to the world if it makes no difference. It's not that we're a object it's social anxiety. I don't like this author. He seems like a b***h to me.. Why would you need to come out as being autistic when it is pointless to hide it. Though that is just my Opinion I don't see why to fake being neurotypical. Maybe Faking specific traits but acting neurotypical is just to difficult.. At the end of the day, It'll just end up burning out with "masking". Maybe the difference between me and others. Is I know it will not accomplish anything.. I'm just too smart to know it'll have no consequences. Why act Neurotypical when people will no something is off about me either way. They'll just assume something much worse.. That is my opinion.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 8:38 am

I didn't know that autism was something that people "came out" about o-o

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Sep 2016, 2:50 pm

Pieplup wrote:
I don't like this author. He seems like a b***h to me..

I'll let him know ;-)

Quote:
Maybe Faking specific traits but acting neurotypical is just to difficult.. At the end of the day, It'll just end up burning out with "masking"

Not so much about faking being neurotypical, but admitting, to yourself and others, that you are not neurotypical. Hard to describe

AnonymouslyAutistic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Sep 2016, 10:35 am

YES! I am bisexual and telling people that is easier for me than telling people that I am Autistic! (But I don't tell most people either unless they know me). IF you are my close acquaintance you MIGHT know I am bisexual but only my inner most circle knows that I am Autistic... mostly because people have so many preconceived ideas about what Autism is and how I - as a woman who blends in well - does NOT fit that idea.

#sadbuttrue

With love,
Anonymously Autistic
“Anna”

https://anonymouslyautistic.net/

BitterCoffee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Sep 2016, 11:58 pm

Interesting. The "coming out" processes for gays is a large contributor to their current acceptance in society. It also can result in lower anxiety, better self esteem, and less depression because we tend to create more negative narrative when it regards us.
"Coming out" for autistics could provide a huge list of benefits not only for the individual but the wider community.