Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

vivi321
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Sep 2016, 5:00 pm

Hello wrongplanet.net,
I cannot find anyone in my area to relate to. There are no support groups for Asperger's where I live (Kentucky), and no support groups in surrounding states (Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee). There seems to be more support for those on the more severe Autism spectrum, and there also seems to be more online support for the parents of children with Asperger's instead of Aspies themselves. I am looking to find other Aspie girls in their 20's because I feel like I can relate to them and their struggles more. Everyone I know is neurotypical, and can have a hard time relating or understanding Aspie struggles. I would just like to know someone's there and feeling the same way I do. Please Help

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 6:04 pm

I'm here though I live in the uk

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 6:49 pm

Can't find a support group you like? Start one!

But that will depend on whether you live in a sufficiently high population area. If small town or rural, you won't have the population to support a group.

I would encourage you not to think you can only relate to people with your same diagnosis. Find areas of commonality that aren't relying on having the identical diagnosis. Maybe you can find girls who are geeks, even if not autistic. Or you may have something in common with anxiety disorder sufferers. Or simply with anyone from an out group, who may share your sense of alienation.

What do you like to do? Do you work? With whom are you living?

EmmaHyde
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2016, 10:31 pm

But hi, also an aspie but out on the West Coast. I know another one who's over in the Quebec area. And I get how you feel. I once referred to it (to a female pastor who encouraged me to get to know the other girls at the church) as " I can't speak girl. I don't know how to or how to translate it." But I think Bea Arthur has good points. Find a group for stuff you like and make friends from there.

As for support groups, unfortunately cause a lot of Aspies, at least in my experience, don't tend to go all hand flappy / screaming like a two year old. As for the parents thing, it's probably because, why isn't my child able to do this when they aren't as bad as Timmy over there? (Timmy being on the severe end of the spectrum)

But please know you aren't alone/ you've got friends on here. :)

-------
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
++++++

MadeinHisimage
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2016, 11:01 pm

I'm here. (In New Zealand). I'm always open to making new aspie friends. :heart: There are support groups in my city, but I live alone, far away from bus stops, and don't feel comfortable asking anybody to drive me every week! :D Does anyone want to start a Skype support group? IDK how well it'll work, or if it would keep going long, but it's worth a try. Maybe there already is one we could join...

boeing.angrybird
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Sep 2016, 11:40 pm

I am experiencing similar feelings. What my biggest problem is right now is that even though I want to meet and connect with fellow Aspies my nerves (damn anxiety!) seems to be getting in the way. I am hoping connecting with people online first will help me overcome this fear and eventually go to an in-person support group.

Loves: Airplanes, Angry Birds, Ancient Egypt and Weather Patterns

http://ab-myaspielife.blogspot.com/
Check out my blog!

vivi321
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Sep 2016, 2:21 am

Thanks for all of the support:) I like the pastor comment with the translation issue. Sometimes talking to NTs feels like talking to a wall. Like your trying to make a breakthrough but there's a block in the connection. I look at their faces when I tell them I have AS, and I could see they're trying to understand but don't quite get it. I feel like Aspies can get a lot of negative judgement or dismissal like "you're exaggerating your problems" or "a lot of people are nice introverts". It's different than that. And I agree with y'all that it's unfortunate Aspies looking for each other seem to be halfway around the world. But it's nice to know you all are there:)

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2016, 11:43 am

Hi, I'm here too :D I live in the New England area of the United States, and I completely understand your struggle. I don't know many females on the spectrum, and it is really hard for me to talk and relate to neurotypicals. I'm all for a Skype support group too :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2016, 11:58 am

I'm a female Aspie in my 20's, but I'm from the UK.

littlecatinthewindow
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2016, 2:38 pm

I'm a girl too. There's not much I can think of to say right now.

AutieUberAlles
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Sep 2016, 5:01 pm

Right here.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2016, 6:05 pm

I am not formally diagnosed, nor am I in my 20s, nor do I live in America; however, I strongly suspect that I am ND in some way (likely ASD). So hello from Australia! :D

GamingMaestro
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Sep 2016, 6:10 pm

Another female aspie here, mid 20's from USA. Is there a general disability or invisible illness support group in your area? I don't like the aspie meetup in my area since it's kind of clique-y, but facebook groups for those 2 have been such a great safe space to vent to and ask advice on! :P

Miss_Skitty

03 Sep 2016, 6:52 pm

Yet another 20-something female with an ASD :) you're certainly not alone. Drop me a message if you like :)

vivi321
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Sep 2016, 8:20 pm

Hey all :) ,
For those looking for a Skype group, I don't see one started for Aspies but if you want I can go ahead and start one. Was wondering if anyone wanted to share any specific positive or negative experiences because of the Aspie complex. For example, bullying. In middle school I was bullied a lot for being weird or being too nice (whatever that means). And over time I learned to be less weird and fit in more with the general population, this fitting in or "masking" effect I learned was called being a Chameleon Aspie. I think I'm very good at small conversation and passing as an NT in terms of "surface" or superficial issues, but am afraid to develop a close relationship with others because of possible rejection to being who I really am. Let me know how you all feel about this,Please feel free to share your experience with AS

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2016, 8:38 pm

I think it's great that so many of you want to create a Skype group that melts away the miles. I just urge you to be careful, both for your feelings and for your physical safety. I'm not sure how you should put that advice into effect, but remembering that we aspies can sometimes be too trusting and a bit naive, please give it some discussion. I think you might want to limit how people can get into the group and also make it so you have to be a member before you can drop in.

Keep us posted here!