What subculture are/were you in high school?

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What subculture do/did you belong to in high school?
Nerd 18%  18%  [ 48 ]
Jock 2%  2%  [ 5 ]
Preppy (of the Ralph Lauren, J. Crew, Izod variety) 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Prep (of the American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch, Structure variety) 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Goth 3%  3%  [ 9 ]
Emo kid 3%  3%  [ 9 ]
Skater/punk/skatepunk 1%  1%  [ 4 ]
Hippie/stoner 5%  5%  [ 14 ]
Beatnik 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Hip-hop 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Metalhead 7%  7%  [ 18 ]
Hipster 2%  2%  [ 5 ]
Surfer 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Trendy 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Grunger 3%  3%  [ 8 ]
Loner 23%  23%  [ 62 ]
Outcast 16%  16%  [ 44 ]
Other 11%  11%  [ 30 ]
I am/was homeschooled 2%  2%  [ 6 ]
I'm not in high school yet 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 274

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 9:23 pm

I was a band and orchestra geek. Even among the band and orchestra geeks, I was a loner and an outcast. I didn't become a choir geek until college.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 10:46 pm

Well I was an outcast through most of school, but in highschool I discovered metal and I've been a metalhead since then.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 10:42 pm

I was very anti-clique in high school, considered myself a high school social group nomad. I moved in various circles, but was not sworn to any of them. I liked it that way. I liked most of my class, but preferred not to assimilate.

It's true that I am a nerd, always have been, but my high school was a public magnet & one of the 10 highest performing schools in the USA, so we were all just different shades of nerd.

Kovu
Raven
Raven

30 Oct 2016, 3:16 pm

None.

Subcultures are for people who don't have a personality.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 7:28 pm

Beatnik was passe'. Emo, Goth, punk, and hip hop, were all in the future. Even preppies didn't become a thing until I was in college.

Somewhere between outcast and loner would describe me in highschool. In college I joined the Junior College Science Fiction club (half of whom were nerds, and the other freaks). An odd combination of folks, but I fitted in pretty well. So that sci fi combination of geek and freak would be my youth culture home if I had one.

trapezium
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2016, 12:33 pm

There should be an option for choosing more than one. I was a nerd in 9th grade, then in 10th went hard into Goth culture, then Emo (this was back in 2005 when Emo was cool), then gave up on that and was a punk in 11th grade and settled into a 'stoner' vibe for 12th grade.
Once I got to college and then after, luckily I settled into current mix of mostly a huge nerd.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 3:09 am

I was a loner, but during lunch time hung around the outcasts. I was the angry with the world rebellious punk because I don't fit in with society weirdo. I came equipped with a sportbike and a death wish. No formal education after high school. I was too angry with the world to take my future seriously, but thankfully happen to be somewhat of an autodidact.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 12:14 pm

I didn't really fit neatly into any subculture when I was in high school. I started out as a goth in 9th grade, but by 10th grade I had discovered weird offbeat styles of music and fashion and started really marching to my own drum. I got heavily into extremely tacky Hawaiian shirts for a while. I had a period where I wore suits. I had a thrift store blazer o which I painted a Crystal Pepsi logo on the back. I was...a little strange.

I hung out with the punk kids and metalheads all throughout high school, but I listened to everything from punk and metal to lounge and Dixieland and reggae and psychedelia, so I didn't feat neatly into that clique, either. I think they were just open-minded enough not to mind having a weirdo like myself sticking around.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

06 Dec 2016, 5:27 pm

Nothing, really.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 11:00 pm

I was never a member of any known clique. I suppose I could call myself a nerd. I spent most of my time reading or studying about a favorite topic.

LjSpike
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jan 2017, 4:27 am

Nerd seems the most applicable out of those options so I selected that, though at my school (and I'd say in general across Britain) there's another category, the (real) geeks (not the "cool" kids with shirts saying "geek" on). Essentially, Geeks are nerds which have interests other than school/academic work (i.e. Computer games, programming, chess, sci-fi shows and so on), most of those interests being semi-skilled or skilled.
I'd say I'm about 75% "geek" and 25% "loner" - I'd say there was only one "nerd" in my year in school. He genuinely seemed to do nothing aside from school, helped the library staff at break and lunch, and had no time for people unless they were his teachers (and to be honest, he wasn't too nice). I however took refuge in the library utilising the computers for many purposes, playing chess games and discussing science fiction and such to friends.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 162 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 52 of 200
LINK: http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly10a.php?p1= ... =66&p10=74
-------------------
Score breakdown for RAADS-R
Total: 185.0 | Language: 17.0 | Social Relatedness: 90.0 | Sensory/Motor 45.0 | Circumscribed Interests: 33.0
LINK: http://www.aspietests.org/raads/questions.php

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2017, 4:37 am

trapezium wrote:
There should be an option for choosing more than one.

agreed, i've added the option.

i was a brony for like, a few months (quietly) but out of those options i selected loner. nerd too, i guess.

as opposed to outcast, which is more imposed by others.

never even heard of any beatniks at my school. or "grunger".

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2017, 7:17 am

I kind of just didn't bother going in school, or I turned up for the first lesson then went down to the nature reserve and made a fire under a train bridge I sat next to all day. I didn't pay attention and I would easily get into fights with boys. I hated the place but I guess I was a goth from being 13 onwards. Most of my friends were the girls considered to be the bullies though because my mother knew all their mothers and that's how we knew each other. Weekends I'd go out with other goth friends not even from my school.

Then the school decided to choose 20 people out of 4k kids, me being one of the chosen 20 to go on some new government scheme which ripped me out of school altogether and I ended up working in some media office from being 14 and got different qualifications equivalent to really high normal ones cause I was doing something I actually wanted to do. Worked out in the end I guess.

LjSpike
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jan 2017, 11:01 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
agreed, i've added the option.

To that extent, I've ratified my options to "Nerd", "Hipster" and "Loner" -> Was tempted to select outcast too, but decided loner more applicable.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 162 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 52 of 200
LINK: http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly10a.php?p1= ... =66&p10=74
-------------------
Score breakdown for RAADS-R
Total: 185.0 | Language: 17.0 | Social Relatedness: 90.0 | Sensory/Motor 45.0 | Circumscribed Interests: 33.0
LINK: http://www.aspietests.org/raads/questions.php

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2017, 11:48 am

Reptile wrote:
I was an active part of the local metal scene where I lived at that time and definitely was a Metalhead. I am still into metal but I don’t have the look and am not active in the scene anymore.
However I’ve always been and will be a complete nerd. And while it might be surprising to some, being both a Metalhead and a nerd combined is not uncommon at all.

Me too. I was a nerdy metalhead. Still am. I like Science and Slayer.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 12:44 pm

Loner. I was an outcast also but part of it was my choice.

Back in the early '70' you had people described a jocks, and a group that was smart and hung out togeather. The terms "nerd" and "geek" were not used then, that was later. I was not part of the smart group i was getting grades what were called "Gentlemen C's". I do no know if the jocks or the smart group were a "subculture" but they were small minorities. Our teams always had losing records. There was no fraternities/sororities. Jocks were uncool and fraternities were viewed an institution from the past. When I went to college in the late '70's a fraternity formed, it was the first one there in 10 years.

The predominant group of people were called "heads". They were somewhat equivalent to what later was called "stoners". Heavy drug use, long hair, used dungarees, flannel shirts or tee shirts with their favorite rock group insignia. Progressive groups like Yes and Emerson, Lake and Palmer were the rock gods of the time. Zeppelin and Jethro Tull were very popular in my high school also. The "heads" were not hippies, that was over and done with, no protests or yoga, if you said "groovy" you would be laughed at. A lot of the "heads" ended up in the military and became cops or firemen.

If you were different at you were considered a "homo", "queer", or a "fa***t". So even though I am 100% heterosexual I guess I was in the "fa***t" group. But that made you a target not a part of a subculture.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman