Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

evilreligion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2016, 1:56 pm

Ok so I am having mixed feelings on this. On the one hand I really like most of Sargon of Akkads content. He does a great job taking down SJW types and revealing the hypocracy of many feminists and other activists. But on this one he is kinda throwing autistic people under the bus. He is basically saying that the worst excesses of SJW type behaviour exhibited by many third wave feminists is much like autism. Obviously this is untrue and I get that he is just taking the piss but, to my mind, he is sullying the good name of autistic people the world over by equating them with the SJW mentality. Even though it done in jest I can't help but feel it reinforces negative stereotypes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMWUrJdR9FA

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2016, 2:29 pm

God damn, It's like. He's just making fun of us. The comment section is even worse. And I mean seriously https://www.autismspeaks.org/ as a credible resource. :/ I'm going to start a Dislike train.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2016, 2:35 pm

ZenoDovahkiin wrote:
Well, you are excused though. A lot of people don't ge sarcasm due to a lack of intellect...
*Shouts Fus Ro Dah on ZenoDovahkiin* Your a disappointment to Your kind.

Last edited by Pieplup on 03 Sep 2016, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2016, 3:12 pm

Sargon is not the sharpest intellectual around, and much as I like him and despise feminism, my sense is that he has been clumsy here with misinformed satire. He hasn't researched the divisions in the autistic movement, and is essentially trying to mock something he doesn't understand.

Of course women are under diagnosed, and I think it is because women express differently because of biological reasons.

What I think is going on out in the horrible world is that various SJWs are eyeing the autistic movement with envy - after all, what luxury it is when the whole f*****g world is a trigger and a safe space is nigh on impossible, and in my case there is limitless anger as well, which would be useful to a fully intersectionalised grievance industry.

Youtube troll comments are notoriously vile and always worth avoiding.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2016, 4:45 pm

Would the existence of actual women feminists with autism blow his mind?

Like not satirically autistic feminists but actual women feminists who happen to be autistic (as in struggling since early childhood and actually diagnosed with autism)--does he get that women can be autistic? Is he one of those people who thinks only men can truly be autistic, is that the point of this "satire"?

It's amusing to me that so many people who aim for satire in this way but misunderstand how humour works often just end up coming across as passive aggressive, because it's really that they can't say honestly what they want to say because they are afraid of how it will come across (ignorant and bigoted) so they flip it around and couch it in "satire" that falls completely flat.

I know you Americans can be easily suggestible by anyone with a British accent but him having an accent does not grant intellectual status. If this is what you call an intellectual, you need to up your standards. He blatantly doesn't understand autism, and trying to write satire about something one fundamentally misunderstands is just going to backfire and make the writer look like an idiot. :jester:

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

evilreligion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2016, 2:58 am

Alexanderplatz wrote:
Sargon is not the sharpest intellectual around, and much as I like him and despise feminism, my sense is that he has been clumsy here with misinformed satire. He hasn't researched the divisions in the autistic movement, and is essentially trying to mock something he doesn't understand.

Of course women are under diagnosed, and I think it is because women express differently because of biological reasons.

What I think is going on out in the horrible world is that various SJWs are eyeing the autistic movement with envy - after all, what luxury it is when the whole f*****g world is a trigger and a safe space is nigh on impossible, and in my case there is limitless anger as well, which would be useful to a fully intersectionalised grievance industry.

Totally agree.
I;m trying to contact Sargon to get him to do a video about actual autism, to explain a bit more about what autism really is to his audience. Given that his own audience is predominantly young, male, gamers it is likely that ASD's are far more prevalent in his followers than in the general population. Certainly far more so than in the feminist population! So I kinda figure he owes the autism community a bit of a debt for using autism in this way.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 4:51 am

I love trolling trolls it's so funny. Eventually they snap, and get really mad :lol:

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 8:09 am

Wow ... that video covered a lot of issues and I think some of the links between them are tenuous. His eight signs of having autism (I know they are satirical) show a lack of understanding of the condition. And his referral to AutismSpeaks for more information is unfortunate. I think the point of this piece is to say that feminists are autistic. This is akin to calling someone a "ret*d" I think and I find his use of the condition to insult feminists to be a slam to autistic people. I have never watched this guy before and I don't think I'll bother again.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 8:18 am

Don't bother with getting him to understand autism. As much as you think he's "fighting SJW's", he's actually a bigot and misogynist and plus is ignorant about feminism and often straw-mans their position. So I'm not surprised that he'd be ignorant about autism too.

evilreligion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2016, 10:28 am

Jono wrote:
Don't bother with getting him to understand autism. As much as you think he's "fighting SJW's", he's actually a bigot and misogynist and plus is ignorant about feminism and often straw-mans their position. So I'm not surprised that he'd be ignorant about autism too.

hmmmm don't think I have ever heard him saying anything misogynistic, unless clearly in jest.
Similarly I'm not sure the label of "bigot" is valid. This is a label that is thrown around to much these days and in internet speak now basically means "someone who does not agree with what I think".

I do agree he sometimes strawman's feminist positions. But then I also think he delivers a good critique from time to time. My main criticism would be that Sargon goes for the low hanging fruit too often and most of his videos attack the batshit crazy, fringe wing of feminism and other social movements. The clearly crazy rhetoric of tumblr feminists is easy to destroy and ridicule but is not really reflective of the wider feminist movement. The problem is many of Sargon's followers may think that it is. But that being said pretty much every time I engage with feminists on-line the crazies do come out of the wood-work - that may just be a reflection of being on-line though.

There is much to genuinely criticise in mainstream modern feminism and with many modern social justice movements. Identity politics is riddled with problems and this includes the autism rights movement and the neurodiversity movement. I think there is room for legitimate criticism and indeed this is healthy because, I for one, want the autism rights movement to remain strong. Critical self-reflection is a vital part of keeping any movement for social change strong. Were people like Sargon do a good job is pointing out the echo chamber mentality of many social movements and how this leads to group think and eventually clearly counterfactual ideas.

But that being said the use of autism as a clear slur and insult is straying into the territory of bigotry. I don't think Sargon is a bad person, he just does not understand autism. This is why I am torn on the issue at hand.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 11:10 pm

I've finished watching the video. I thought it was a piece of uneducated crap. The comments were pretty stupid as well. It was like walking into a regular Grade 8 history class.

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2016, 12:47 pm

I'm predominantly concordant with what Sargon of Akkad expresses about the ideological collectivization of society through the culture wars (e.g. regressive left vs religious fundamentalist right), divide and rule isms/ologies; new social movements (NSM's), collectivist identity politics, ideological groupthink, and the multifarious logical fallacies exhibited by SJW's and 2nd/3rd wave feminists, as attributed to their collectivist temperaments (pretty much akin to ethnocentric cults), but in this case I honestly believed he was being sincere (I wasn't sure that he was being sarcastic, if he wasn't it would be a disinformed red herring) about his false equivocation satire of feminists to the general autistic and aspie population alike, which is clearly a straw man and a falsifiable analogy which could lead to conjectured out-group stereotypes that many airheaded people (e.g. YT trolls and sadly some members of Sargon's audience) will adopt to denigrate autistic people (e.g."I know SJW's and third wave feminists are clearly autistic, they need trigger warnings and safe spaces"). It's not even in the least remotely humorous and I don't understand the overwhelming majority who do find it as such, or perhaps they self-censor their inner consciousness by being intellectually mendacious for the fear of evoking dissent that would lead to us vs them counterarguments to the ad infinitum.

He doesn't know subdivided the global autism community really is and he's clearly very wrong about classifying the phenomenon of ASD under-diagnosis in girls/women being a first world "feminist issue." This is explicated by the neuroanatomical discernibility in female brains that lead to them expressing their approaches of nonverbal communication and repetitive behavioral symptomatologies differently, a long affirmed scientific fact in autism multidisciplinary research and many scientists who study the condition as such would likewise denunciate this video and encourage Sargon to take an undergraduate or MS degree in ASD studies.

As conspicuously evidenced by a proportion of the comments, I knew there would be some "proud to be autistic" AS/HFA subjects (like myself) who disdain pro-cure advocacy groups like Autism Speaks that repudiate the tiresome bandwagon effect from SJW's (good for them :)); who I've long propounded for over 3 years, have gradually infiltrated the autistic pride and neurodiversity movements; just like they have done successfully with minuscule encumbrance to the "freethought" and atheist/skeptic communities, nerd culture, sci-fi/comic/geek fandoms, and certain postmodern subcultures and social movements (they have even attempted to hijack the libertarian movement) which promote dog whistle politics and advertently encapsulate all kinds of credulous individuals into a counterproductive hive mentality (which is the outcome for all ideologies, social movements and collectivist identity politics which so called "skeptical freethinkers" fall for like Atheism+ which is a joke). While ideological group-think is a natural proclivity itself, it is a form of nonconformist genocide, simple as that and I'm glad there are non-SJW and anti-feminist autistic activists out there who don't want their individuality suppressed; and have quite clearly affirmed that not all aspects of Neurodiversity are Cultural Neo-Marxist hokum, as-well as confuting Sargon's false equivocation argument which turned out to be nothing but satirical "humor" anyway.

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 1 out of 200
Alexithymia Questionnaire: 166/185 AQ: 49/50 EQ: 9/80

Last edited by TheRedPedant93 on 06 Sep 2016, 3:42 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 12:55 pm

evilreligion wrote:
Alexanderplatz wrote:

Totally agree.
I;m trying to contact Sargon to get him to do a video about actual autism, to explain a bit more about what autism really is to his audience. Given that his own audience is predominantly young, male, gamers it is likely that ASD's are far more prevalent in his followers than in the general population. Certainly far more so than in the feminist population! So I kinda figure he owes the autism community a bit of a debt for using autism in this way.

Why would he care about doing that? If all he does is mock anything he doesn't like and whine about SJWs I don't see him caring all that much about spreading accurate information about autism?

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 3:20 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
evilreligion wrote:
Alexanderplatz wrote:

Totally agree.

Why would he care about doing that? If all he does is mock anything he doesn't like and whine about SJWs I don't see him caring all that much about spreading accurate information about autism?

I would be amazed and shocked if this guy would admit he was wrong and correct the misinformation he has propagated about autism. I would be willing to bet large amounts of money that will not happen. He doesn't seem like the type to have any grace or humility about making mistakes and correcting them conscientiously.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

Xitheon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Sep 2016, 4:06 pm

TheRedPedant93 wrote:
I'm predominantly concordant with what Sargon of Akkad expresses about the ideological collectivization of society through the culture wars (e.g. regressive left vs religious fundamentalist right), divide and rule isms/ologies; new social movements (NSM's), collectivist identity politics, ideological groupthink, and the multifarious logical fallacies exhibited by SJW's and 2nd/3rd wave feminists, as attributed to their collectivist temperaments (pretty much akin to ethnocentric cults), but in this case I honestly believed he was being sincere (I wasn't sure that he was being sarcastic, if he wasn't it would be a disinformed red herring) about his false equivocation satire of feminists to the general autistic and aspie population alike, which is clearly a straw man and a falsifiable analogy which could lead to conjectured out-group stereotypes that many airheaded people (e.g. YT trolls and sadly some members of Sargon's audience) will adopt to denigrate autistic people (e.g."I know SJW's and third wave feminists are clearly autistic, they need trigger warnings and safe spaces"). It's not even in the least remotely humorous and I don't understand the overwhelming majority who do find it as such, or perhaps they self-censor their inner consciousness by being intellectually mendacious for the fear of evoking dissent that would lead to us vs them counterarguments to the ad infinitum.

He doesn't know subdivided the global autism community really is and he's clearly very wrong about classifying the phenomenon of ASD under-diagnosis in girls/women being a first world "feminist issue." This is explicated by the neuroanatomical discernibility in female brains that lead to them expressing their approaches of nonverbal communication and repetitive behavioral symptomatologies differently, a long affirmed scientific fact in autism multidisciplinary research and many scientists who study the condition as such would likewise denunciate this video and encourage Sargon to take an undergraduate or MS degree in ASD studies.

As conspicuously evidenced by a proportion of the comments, I knew there would be some "proud to be autistic" AS/HFA subjects (like myself) who disdain pro-cure advocacy groups like Autism Speaks that repudiate the tiresome bandwagon effect from SJW's (good for them :)); who I've long propounded for over 3 years, have gradually infiltrated the autistic pride and neurodiversity movements; just like they have done successfully with minuscule encumbrance to the "freethought" and atheist/skeptic communities, nerd culture, sci-fi/comic/geek fandoms, and certain postmodern subcultures and social movements (they have even attempted to hijack the libertarian movement) which promote dog whistle politics and advertently encapsulate all kinds of credulous individuals into a counterproductive hive mentality (which is the outcome for all ideologies, social movements and collectivist identity politics which so called "skeptical freethinkers" fall for like Atheism+ which is a joke). While ideological group-think is a natural proclivity itself, it is a form of nonconformist genocide, simple as that and I'm glad there are non-SJW and anti-feminist autistic activists out there who don't want their individuality suppressed; and have quite clearly affirmed that not all aspects of Neurodiversity are Cultural Neo-Marxist hokum, as-well as confuting Sargon's false equivocation argument which turned out to be nothing but satirical "humor" anyway.

You think that anti feminism is a good and rational personal expression of individually?

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2016, 6:48 pm

Xitheon wrote:
TheRedPedant93 wrote:

You think that anti feminism is a good and rational personal expression of individually?

Not all "anti-feminists" are MRA's, and there is no such thing as an "anti-feminist ideology". Adherents of some anti-isms like being opposed to vaccines, nationalism, religionism, atheism, capitalism and globalization e.t.c often peddle an antithetical agenda, but this is not the case with feminism because most of it's critics don't won't to go back to the olden days where women had no voting rights, maternity rights, property rights, and were forced to stay home, get forcefully married and so on and so on, that is the true face of misogyny. These rules imposed on them are collectivist entitlements typically associated with the far right and religious fundamentalists who fall for an appeal to tradition fallacy.

The Feminist vs Men's Rights (MRA) dichotomy is a false dilemma peddled by the ideological collectivist (which radical individualism is incorporate under as-well) elite who want impose conformitive social constructionism (labels) through the means of divide and conquer isms and ologies (the science of idiocy) upon humanity. A policy combination of freedom of association (in the private sector) which I believe to be a natural right, and anti-discrimination laws in the public sector (no need to change) is the solution to implement a balance in order to resolve these ludicrous us vs them counter factual arguments associated with the "gender ideological wars."

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 1 out of 200
Alexithymia Questionnaire: 166/185 AQ: 49/50 EQ: 9/80