Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2016, 9:19 pm

I am appreciative of your complex and fragile relationship with the globe's occurrences and interactions through that pesky medium known as 'noise'. I wear headphones blasting white noise or documentaries or films or music 90% of the time or I get severely derailed or offended or afflicted by uncontrollable audio banshee armies... I can stand it if I am outside when I can go to a more serene and orderly environment like a clump of trees or a quiet area or dim building or something, libraries, trees or tunnels are always like life rafts to me due to sensory issues :|

akuakuaku
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Sep 2016, 9:45 pm

I am. I get really nervous when I'm around balloons or loud tools. Also loud cars scare me.

troubador127
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Sep 2016, 2:05 am

akuakuaku wrote:
I am. I get really nervous when I'm around balloons or loud tools. Also loud cars scare me.

Yes.

Even as a child I hated balloons. Other kids sometimes want to pop them. Evil.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2016, 6:43 am

Putting your hands over your ears can be socially acceptable depending on the context. Like the other day we had a fire drill at work, and as we all made our way to the front entrance, I saw one or two of my colleagues put their fingers in their ears, and as far as I know they are NTs. It felt socially acceptable, if you know what I mean. But noise only bother me if they're sudden.

But it's apparently socially unacceptable to put your fingers in your ears in public. So when an ambulance of a police car or fire engine is coming along with its blue lights flashing, I know that means the siren could come on any minute, which makes me so anxious. But I feel to embarrassed to put my fingers in my ears.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2016, 8:06 am

Yes, sensitive to loud noise.

Wearing ear plugs or buds doesn't always feel comfortable to me though -- I don't mean comfortable physically, I mean that when my hearing is dulled in a public place, I feel more vulnerable because then I'm not fully aware of my surroundings. I live in a major metropolitan area and although I feel safe and confident against "danger" most of the time and I'm not a paranoid person by habit, seriously you just don't want to have one of your senses blunted around here, trust me. It's not smart in my particular city and area.

davidmcg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Sep 2016, 8:17 am

Oh yes. I live in London which is the noisiest place ever. I travel to work on the DLR and there's a loud DING DING DING as the doors close. Drives me to insanity as it feels like it's drilling right into the centre of my head. Then there's the tube. It's horrible. On different lines, there is a high pitched whine that I hear when I travel on it and makes my blood run cold. Gets so bad that I've no choice to put my fingers in my ears or I just cringe. Motorbikes are a nightmare. The sounds slowly gets louder and louder as it gets closer. It feels like Im being invaded by it and when it gets to it's full whack, I'm sweating, my heart rate is up...crazy...

Pubs are a nightmare...especially busy ones...there's a general murmur amongst the crowd, but frequently some annoying person in a suit will laugh really loudly and make me very jumpy. Was in a pub at Canary Wharf some time ago. It was full of people finishing work, all laughing and shouting...I was with my partner and I was panicking. My head was darting all over the place, I was stimming like crazy on the table. Eventually we had to leave. I do remember someone across from me staring at me...must have thought I was insane.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2016, 9:22 am

yeah, noise is really one of my issues. I speak quietly, I like peace and quiet and loud noises are like they actually cause pain. sudden loud noises make my head almost explode.

alex
Developer
Developer

08 Sep 2016, 9:31 am

I can't stand loud bass...

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2016, 9:34 am

Those car audio systems capable of hugely booming bass -- ugh. The bass penetrates your whole skeleton.

alex
Developer
Developer

08 Sep 2016, 9:52 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
Those car audio systems capable of hugely booming bass -- ugh. The bass penetrates your whole skeleton.

It's worse when you're not listening to the music but you hear the muffled bass. It sounds horrible.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2016, 10:22 am

I'm the opposite.

I CAN'T STAND high-pitched sounds! Especially that which is above alto

I really don't mind bass/baritone sounds at all.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2016, 9:30 pm

I'm hypersensitive to sound and I wish there was a way to turn it off. Breathing exercises help in some situations, but usually I have to leave, and/or put in earplugs/cover my ears. I used to have noise-cancelling headphones but they broke before I got a chance to try them out :/

Dr.Pepper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Sep 2016, 7:35 am

Avoidance if a prolonged sound. If a sudden sound and I know it's coming, covering ears while saying "la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la."