Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 4:13 pm

Do people with Asperger's have trouble reading the body language of dogs and cats?

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 4:19 pm

Kiki1256 wrote:
Do people with Asperger's have trouble reading the body language of dogs and cats?

I can tell when my dog is happy (tail wags enthusiastically) and when she is scared (she is very hesitant in her movements).

I don't try to "read" the body language of other animals. Though I do enjoy watching animals (say at the zoo).

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 7:33 pm

I can read the body language of cats very well, but I have trouble reading the body language of dogs. We've never had a dog, but I've always had a cat so I think this is why. Also, I have an interest in cats so I've read s couple books on cat body language.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2016, 8:36 pm

I know when a cat's ears are down the tail is swishing its angry. And when a dog is wagging its tail its happy, and when it shows its teeth its angry. But that's about it.

iammaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Sep 2016, 1:10 am

I find animals a lot easier to read than humans. Pet's motivations seem a lot less complex.
Given a choice, I would rather meet new cats and dogs than people.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 5:57 am

No.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Xitheon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Sep 2016, 6:06 am

It's like any other relationship: I can read the body language of an animal with whom I am properly acquainted. I can read parrot body language very well; I grew up keeping and studying parrots and I can understand their mannerisms quite well. They are exceptionally expressive creatures.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 11:56 am

I can tell the body language of animals better than I can tell that of people.

EgotisticalAltruist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Sep 2016, 12:15 pm

I read an awesome book about that, "Animals in Translations: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior." I'm convinced autism helps us read animals better than a NT brain. My brain sucks at reading facial expressions and such, so I figure out how someone is feeling using everything I know about the person and if they're acting unusually or not. The NT brain cannot help but "read" the facial expressions of their pets like people, so they often incorrectly place people's emotions instead of animals ones for their pets. Also, animals don't think in words and are visual creatures, something I can relate to. I'm great with pets, way better than most people. I've literally have had dogs come up to sniff me and wanted scratches, and then their owner notices and are shocked because they have never seen their cowardly dog walk to a stranger before. I've also done stuff like train my cat to go down a slide, I wish it was this easy for me to read people emotions too.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 7:44 pm

I'm another here who feels like I can read the body language of animals way better than that of humans. I agree with iammaz that it's probably because animals motivations are a lot less complex and more straightforward.

With most species, there also aren't as many facial expressions to get your head around, as there are with humans. And humans mask and fake their body language probably more of the time than not -- it seems to come naturally to humans to do a lot of "what's expected" body language than real stuff that shows their real feelings, whereas animals mostly just act out whatever they really feel.

There's less to learn and remember in animal behaviors, and what you see is what you get.

CCninja86
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Sep 2016, 10:51 pm

I'm the cat whisperer of the house. I understand cats and their body language, and cats understand me. I can call any cat to approach me, and 98% of them will, even if they've never seen me before. They seem to be able to just sense it in my eyes or something. Cats just seem to instantly know that I'm very friendly and gentle.

Diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in my early teens (13-15 years)

Diagnosed with ADD (non-hyperactive) as a child

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 104 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 98 of 200
You seem to have both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits

Studying for a Bachelor of Computer and Information Sciences

Hobbies are gaming and programming, interests include technology.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 10:54 pm

I can usually get past the puppy dog innocent eyes, since said dog is usually thinking "SUCKER!! !! !! !! !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: "

troubador127
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Sep 2016, 7:23 am

ocdgirl123 wrote:
I can read the body language of cats very well, but I have trouble reading the body language of dogs. We've never had a dog, but I've always had a cat so I think this is why. Also, I have an interest in cats so I've read s couple books on cat body language.

I would say my response is similar. Only I read every book on cats in my school's library in elementary school and could list every breed. I still like cats more and can read them much better than most animals. Cats aren't as confusing as humans, so I find them to be therapeutic instead of stressful.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2016, 7:46 am

My GF is convinced that I have a special abilty with animals , she cannot put into words what it is. I have an afinity with animals and definately prefer their company but dont see it as an ability.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

AnonymouslyAutistic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Sep 2016, 10:46 am

I've been able to read animals - all of them - for as long as I can remember. Too bad humans are not so obvious.

With love,
Anonymously Autistic
“Anna”

https://anonymouslyautistic.net/