Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 3:45 pm

So, you may remember that the discredited medical scientist Andrew Wakefield directed a "documentary" about "big pharma" conspiracy theories about so-called "cover-ups" of vaccines causing autism and released it earlier this year. It was going to air at the Tribeca Film Festival but Robert de Niro came to his senses and decided to ban it from being shown, so it instead was released by Cinema Libre. Wakefield forgets that his original paper claiming a connection between the MMR vaccine and autism was revealed as a fraud, all his co-authors withdrew their names from it and he lost his medical licence as a result.

Trouble is, despite no one else ever being able to reproduce his results, this fraudulent research of his caused thousands of parents to opt not to vaccinate their children for measles, mumps and rubella, resulting in some children dying of preventable diseases. This film just perpetuates the myth that vaccines cause autism without properly representing the scientific evidence and just uses emotion and feeds fear:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaxxed

The reason I'm bringing this up now is that I've just learned that the film is now on Amazon and I'm terrified to learn that it's listed as the number one best seller in the documentary category under "Movies and TV". What's worse is that the reviews of it on Amazon are being flooded by anti-vaxxers giving it positive reviews and calling it a "must see". Not that I'm surprised since there are enough ant-vaxxers out there who still believe in Andrew Wakefield and these conspiracy theories but that this can more people to opt out of vaccinations because they believe in these false connections. Also, why are people more concerned about their children having autism that them dying of preventable diseases anyway? We should be more concerned with working out how to help autistic people to have more fulfilling lives and anyway, this kind of misinformation is harmful.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2016, 4:35 pm

Out of 1800+ reviews so far 86% have given Vaxxed a 5 star rating.

They do think we have been possessed by Autism via vaccines, but instead of a priest we need bleech enemas and other harmful "recovery" methods to excorcize the deamon autism.

It is not just autism, we are living in a conspiracy theory era fueled by the internet, real conspiracies uncovered, and a toxic(pun intended) zero sum game political climate.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2016, 11:38 am

It's not even just conspiracy theories. It's that it's harmful if it get's people to opt not to vaccinate their children because they think that the vaccine will give them autism. Yes, also those quack "doctors" who do harmful and dangerous "treatments" that are not supported by science and never been proven to work (like bleaching) are also a menace. They are doing things that are highly dangerous.

Davvo7
Toucan
Toucan

09 Sep 2016, 9:08 am

I would urge anybody who cites the liar and criminal wakefield read the superb exposé by Journalist Brian Deer.

It is a long read but won prestigious awards for uncovering the truth behind this obnoxious man; driven by financial gain he chose to lie and distort science to suit his own ends. There is a very special lower layer of hell waiting for him when he finally shuffles of this mortal coil.

http://briandeer.com/mmr/lancet-summary.htm

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 4:05 pm

Davvo7 wrote:
I would urge anybody who cites the liar and criminal wakefield read the superb exposé by Journalist Brian Deer.

It is a long read but won prestigious awards for uncovering the truth behind this obnoxious man; driven by financial gain he chose to lie and distort science to suit his own ends. There is a very special lower layer of hell waiting for him when he finally shuffles of this mortal coil.

http://briandeer.com/mmr/lancet-summary.htm

I think everyone by now knows who Brian Deer is. He's the journalist who exposed Andrew Wakefield. The thing is though, I think that these people who would buy this documentary don't care. They still think he's a hero and that him losing his medical licence and all that is part of a cover-up.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 11:28 pm

Wakefield is pure scum. He wants us all to live through Hell on earth. He is a monster is human form.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2016, 2:40 pm

I wonder if Wakefield was vaccinated as a child? He doesn't have autism though does he?

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

nobodycaresaboutme
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Sep 2016, 1:20 am

even if they did cause autism, the would've lived but with autism oh right i wish i was dead
im torn

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 5:09 pm

Again even if vaccines caused autism why does it keep being thought of as the worst thing ever?

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 1:58 am

Want a laugh? Here is a Cinema Sins style review done by an autistic YouTuber, Acting NT.
(This is the short version, see his channel for the full version.)