Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2016, 7:15 pm

Hi, I was just wondering whether anybody else here has an eating disorder as well as being on the spectrum. I'm HFA and I've been anorexic for 10 years plus.

I know there are overlaps in the traits of autistic people and those with eating disorders; for example, rigid thinking, remembering reams of data (I know the calories and nutritional values of everything in our cupboards), sticking to a routine etc.. In my experience, indulging my ED by not eating sort of dulls all my senses, which actually helps with sensory overload and other stresses. Has anybody else had this experience?

I bring it up because I'm kind of losing the plot at the moment. I've been stressed out by social/romantic interactions I'm not sure I can handle, I've been more depressed, and as of this week I've gone overboard on not eating :( . This is the 4th day in a row I've done an intense workout, eaten 3 oatcakes, done an 8-9 hour shift of heavy lifting/manual work, eaten a soup or salad, and had 5-6 hours sleep. I know I'll do it again in the morning.

I'm aware of the damage I am doing to myself, but I feel like I don't have the energy to fight back (I wonder why that is! :roll: ). It will pass by the end of the week, I'm sure, as I can't sustain it, and I will go back to my regular routine of 'mild' anorexia (oh dear :| ...), by which I mean I'll do all of the above, but with 7-8 hours sleep and some fish or chicken. Tl;dr Does your eating disorder (if you have one) become more pronounced when you're under pressure? And do you ever experience a numbing of the senses as a result of not eating?

VYcma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Sep 2016, 8:30 pm

To answer the TL;DR question; yes, it does.

I happen to become obese as a teen even though I was the fastest child in my school, I always ate too much and didn't know when to stop (lack of feeling of satiety).

Then I became anorexic, when I got to the hospital, my depression got worse than ever, all I wanted is to have some time alone but it was impossible.

I now have bulimia, but keep a muscular and thin body. I am addicted to eating bad food and food containing allergens. This calms me. But this is more painful than it is helpful and hopefully I will find a way to stop.

But, it is important to note that there aren't many positive things happening around me. I am living in an apartment where the ambiance is mostly filled with anxiety. Once I was in Spain where for two days straight I haven't had the chance neither the feeling of need to eat those bad things, so this "addiction" must be linked with my surrounding.

I stopped being anorexic when I felt I was 1) too skinny for the body I wanted 2) not able to run or ride my bike like I wanted to 3) be tired all the time mentally (my brain was starving). I stopped being anorexic when leaving a toxic person who was my dad, but now I am stuck with my sarcastic Grand mother.