Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2005, 8:19 pm

I'm sorry if I have been rude by jumping into several posts without really letting you all know a bit about me.

First let me tell you how much I have enjoyed Wrong Planet--It kicks arse!

I am 46 years old and AS has been a huge part of my evolution from a terrible student to where I am today...and I am truly thankful for the journey.

I've had ups and downs like anyone, but AS has given me a unique life.

If you choose to read on, please do not be offended by my take on stimming by way of hand flapping...hand flapping was an awesome way for me to escape into a creative cacoon of comfort and I have many times still had the urge, but have managed to leave it behind, when I joined the Navy.

Here's my bio stuff from the jypsy/oddizms Picture Project:

Interests, hobbies, obsessions, perseverations etc: Music. I play trumpet, bass, didjeridoo, sitar, thumbpiano, tabla and piano. I like world beat, reggae, jazz; mostly, quirky, happy sounding stuff. I also enjoy taking photos, writing poetry and mountain biking. I cook and have done so for a living.

Profession, area of study, etc: Radio Program Director and Morning Show Host. I have had a life long obsession with radio and Asperger's has been a tremendous advantage in helping me "hear" what radio will sound like as I create music playlists, work on what will be announced, etc. I would say it has given me a very unique advantage, along with the single-minded focus needed to be successful on a sustained basis. Fortunately the radio business is full of creative folks who tend to be a little non-NT, so I enjoy a somewhat forgiving work environment. There are stressful aspects to being in a management position, but through the great example of my Dad, I have been able to acquire enough people skills to cope or at least fake it.
Where you live in the world: West Texas/Southern New Mexico
Marital status, # of kids etc.: I am married to an NT wonder-woman who is very supportive and understanding with a really cool 13 year old son.
Comments: In me, Asperger's is mainly manifested in a very pronounced veil which obscures my ability to deal with social situations. Some folks I have a great deal of difficulty communicating with in situations outside work (at work I can usually rely on my acquired expertise to operate comfortably along with the fact that I am swimming with some similar fish). All through childhood, I was a hand flapper until I became so frustrated and ashamed by this compulsion to retreat into my own world, that I joined the Navy to force a behavioral change in myself. I did not perform well in school unless the subject matter was among my list of obsessions (music, geology, paleontology, poetry, etc.) Bootcamp totally sucked because I had trouble marching in a non-clumsy way and I had absolutely no desire to advance in rank, but I had a great job cooking on a ship. The structure helped as does the regimented schedule of my current work. I generally like people, but typically do not seek the company of others a whole lot. My conversation tends to be short comments out of left field on subjects that others bring up, interjections and a lot of puns or wordplay all of which fits in with my work in radio. I am a Department Head, but it took a while and plenty of effort to get there and even more effort to stay ahead of the game, but it's worth it.

Pleaser, keep Wrong Planet in orbit!

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2005, 9:57 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :lol:

I really like how you make the new people feel welcome. That's a talent.

BeeBee

pizzaboss
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2005, 10:17 pm

Welcome!

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2005, 1:57 pm

Well, howdy :D

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/