Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 8:42 am

I have this problem were I have a hard time regulating my temperature after going out to socialize. If I'm hanging out with my friends, when I come home, I can't get warm. This was not an issue when it was super hot outside, but now that the evenings are just a little cool, its a problem again. It happens no matter how early I turn in. Last night I was back in my own space by 9, and I still got super cold and had a hard time warming myself up. It makes it impossible to sleep.

Anyone relate? Have any advice? I've tried hot showers, lots of blankets, and a heated lap blanket. All those things work, so I can reverse it, but its such a pain to go through all of that when I just want to rest. I'm posting here because I wonder if this is a part of being autistic for some ASDers. Could it be a physiological manifestation of the disorder? Or maybe socializing just makes me so tired, physically, that my body's internal thermostat just gives out?

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 11:01 am

I have similar problem but in my case it isn't related to as much to social interaction(sometimes it won't happen) but to sensory or emotional overload. It just feels like my body is too tired to maintain proper temperature.
I usually warm myself up by sitting near a heater, taking a warm shower or talking bottle full of hot water to bed with me.
And I found that touching a heater or a glass with hot liquid during potentially overwhelming activities helps me deal with them. I get sensory/emotional overload less if a heater is nearby.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 5:02 pm

Maybe its just a regular old symptom of being human and getting older. Not everything has to do with autism.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 9:12 am

somanyspoons wrote:
Maybe its just a regular old symptom of being human and getting older. Not everything has to do with autism.

My earliest memory of the issue is from when I was 11 and I am still just 27 so I doubt it's about getting older.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 9:30 am

I get too hot, to the point of my heart racing and feeling dizzy/lightheaded/whatever, as I still don't know which word to use for which situation. I also get too cold, to the point where I occasionally shiver after a bout of anxiety and people can see it and comment. I have generalized anxiety disorder, so the doctors say it's about that, and to be more conscious of drinking enough water. I've never been diagnosed with ASD, but I joined the forum anyway when I saw some threads that I really related to.