Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 4:37 pm

Are they almost the same or different? I don't know.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 5:42 pm

They are mostly the same, I think. Autism just has more variety in symptoms and in the severity of symptoms than Asperger's does.

Love transcends all.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 5:50 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:

Aspergers is like "Nebraska", and autism is like" the whole USA".

Aspergers is a subset of autism, or more properly "of the autism spectrum".

Nowadays they subdivide autistic folks into:type one (needing little support), type two (needing a moderate amount of support), and type three (needing a great deal of support).

Aspergers was eliminated as an official diagnosis, but was essentially the same as what would now be called "autism type one with no speech delay". That means you function pretty well and you learned to speak at the normal time babies learn to speak (as opposed to having a speech delay that caused you to nonverbal for a longer time than normal).

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 4:49 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

Aspergers is like "Nebraska", and autism is like" the whole USA".

Aspergers is a subset of autism, or more properly "of the autism spectrum".

Nowadays they subdivide autistic folks into:type one (needing little support), type two (needing a moderate amount of support), and type three (needing a great deal of support).

Aspergers was eliminated as an official diagnosis, but was essentially the same as what would now be called "autism type one with no speech delay". That means you function pretty well and you learned to speak at the normal time babies learn to speak (as opposed to having a speech delay that caused you to nonverbal for a longer time than normal).

I don't understand. They don't say Aspergers anymore.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2016, 12:17 pm

It may differ on what a person needs help with. For example, I have mostly "mild-moderate" symptoms, with complicated skills challenges.