Calvin and Hobbes Comics About Socially Awkward Kid

Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 2:07 am

DataB4 wrote:
LOL those are awesome! I don't get the Newton one though with all the nonsense words. Maybe I missed something.

the song that the green food blob starts singing at the top of its lungs, is "feelings" by morris albert. a famously bad song.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 6:59 pm

^I never knew that. 8)

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 7:06 pm

Hmm interesting. Here's the song. It's not my style but I don't think it's a bad song:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dPxxOYCfdHY
The beginning sounds a little off to me though.

If I could put in one request and then stop bothering everybody. Does Calvin ever do anything nerdy?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 7:08 pm

always seemed to me that he was the little kid version of nerdy.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 7:11 pm

So, does he do anything with math or science, or maybe he's a gamer nerd or a bookworm or whatever?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 7:12 pm

no techy about him but one gets the impression that he'd head in that direction when older. I think it would be a grand idea if the cartoonist would draw an adult version of calvin, doing what an adult calvin would do. :idea:

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 7:19 pm

Calvin can't stand math [or school in general], so all of his nerdy-ness occurs either inside his imagination or while playing with Hobbes [such as when he made a transforming booth out of a cardboard box, or replicated himself by using the same cardboard box but turning it sideways. Oh, and he and Hobbes also time travel while flying in the box on two separate occasions.] The fun thing about Calvin and Hobbes is that all of the crazy, imaginative stuff is happening entirely from Calvin's point of view, so he often sees his teacher or parents as vile aliens trying to capture him.

Here's a fun comic. [I've been trying to find ones that aren't extremely text-heavy.]
Calvin, mischievous kid that he is, brought his Stupendous Man outfit [basically a superhero that he made up] to school, of all places, and jumps into his locker to change [while narrating everything that he is doing.] The narration goes as follows: "To avoid avoid detection while changing identities, mild-mannered Calvin leaps into his locker! There he makes the stupendous transformation into...Stupendous Man! " There's a panel showing the outside of Calvin's locker while he erupts into song from inside, and the next panel shows Calvin's principal standing in the doorway of his office, looking confused and with a '?' over his head. Calvin then monologues to himself while stuck in the locker: "Gosh, it's dark in here. Where's that darned handle?"
The next bit shows a shot of the lockers with Calvin banging on the door from the inside, yelling "I can't get out!" From inside the locker, Calvin muses that "This is a real job for Stupendous Man!" The next bit is of Calvin banging even louder, with the locker door visibly vibrating but not getting loose. Calvin then wonders if "this may be a job for the custodian."
Once Clavin's teacher inadvertently sets him free, he runs into his classroom [still dressed in his costume], and launches into a speech that goes as follows:
S for Stupendous!
T for tiger, ferocity of!
U for underwear, red!
P for power, incredible!
E for excellent physique!
N for...um...something...um...I'll come back to that.
D for determination!
U for...wait, how do you spell this? Is it I?

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Last edited by Kuraudo777 on 15 Sep 2016, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 7:25 pm

Those examples sound cool. :) In the comic just posted, is the Stupendous Man outfit funny? Does Calvin pretend he has any powers?

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 7:31 pm

The Stupendous Man outfit is literally just a red mask and a red cape. :lol: Calvin pretends to have so many powers that it would take far too long to list...but he always ends up thwarted by his parents, babysitter, or teacher. :lol:
[I added extra comics to my previous post, just so you know.]

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 8:02 pm

Oh wow that's hilarious, now that you added to his Stupendous Man story. Maybe the teacher finishes his little speech: "O for outa here, U for uniform back on, and S for that sonofagun attitude." :D

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 8:07 pm

^Actually, she [literally] drags him away while muttering "It isn't enough that we're teachers. Now we have to be psychiatrists." Meanwhile, Calvin is yelling things like "You're nefarious plan will never succeed!! !!"

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 8:24 pm

LOL I like it. Actually, yours and mine can go in order. Just have Calvin stick his tongue out at the teacher and start flapping his wings or something, and the teacher starts dragging him away right then. :)

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 8:35 pm

Oh oh! This one's brilliant. It's part of the Transgorifier/Cardboard box story.
To put this into context, Calvin decided to become a tiger. After Calvin crawls under the box, Hobbes asks, "So you're a tiger now?" Calvin replies, "Yep. Let me out." Hobbes lifts the box up, and out comes a little tiger identical to Hobbes in every way [walking upright, stripes, fuzzy ears, a big nose, a soft white tummy, fuzzy paws, and a little tail]. Hobbes and Tiger-Calvin stare at each other for a bit, and then Hobbes says, "Words fail me." Tiger-Calvin replies, "I'm disappointed, too, but keep in mind transmorgification is a new technology."

thumbhole
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Sep 2016, 10:06 pm

The funniest story for me was when Calvin once used his imagination to turn his cardboard box into what he calls a Duplicator.

(His simple cardboard box is often turned into different variations of high-tech futuristic machines using the power of his imagination, and this is a recurring theme).

Edit: I forgot to specify that the cardboard box is a large one, large enough for Calvin to sit inside it. To transform himself using the high-tech cardboard box, he simply gets into the box and then gets out again. When he gets out, he has always undergone some sort of change.

He so hates going to school that he had a brainwave and decided to create a duplicate / clone of himself using his cardboard box machine so that he could stay at home all day while the Duplicate went to school in his place. But this plan backfired because since the duplicate was identical to him in every way, the duplicate hated going to school as well and refused to go to school in his place. Calvin had to make lots more duplicates and negotiate with them so that each one reluctantly agreed to go to school for one day per week while the rest stayed home and got to play all day.

Here is a description of that particular story (the following link is from a Calvin and Hobbes Wiki that I have just found, which will probably be an invaluable source of information to you if you want to familiarise yourself with the main characters and recurring themes of this comic):

http://calvinandhobbes.wikia.com/wiki/Duplicator

The girl referred to as "Susie" in the description is Calvin's neighbour and classmate. She is his nemesis. She is well-behaved, tidy, has good manners, and get good grades. If anything, Susie is the nerd, not Calvin. In contrast, Calvin is naughty, lazy, untidy, badly behaved, and gets terrible grades. Calvin is a brat and a bully towards Susie. But he's also a loner and a weirdo who does not appear to have any friends whatsoever except from his stuffed tiger Hobbes, who comes alive by means of Calvin's imagination. Calvin is very excitable and optimistic when playing alone with Hobbes, but when in the company of others he comes across as very bitter about life. One of Calvin's passtimes is taunting Susie and teasing and annoying her by pelting her with snowballs in the winter. Here is a link to the Wiki article about the character of Susie:

http://calvinandhobbes.wikia.com/wiki/Susie_Derkins

As well as frequently teasing Susie and shouting insults at her, Calvin also has a special club (of which he and his toy tiger Hobbes are the only two members) that is called Get Rid of Slimy Girls. The resulting acronym of Get Rid of Slimy Girls is the word Gross.

(Edit to clarify: it does not really spell out the word Gross, of course. If you take the first letter of each of the words "Get" and "Rid" and "Of" and "Slimy" and "Girls", it doesn't spell the word Gross. It spells Grosg, which is a word that doesn't exist. To get around this problem, Calvin has cheated and has created his acronym using the last letter of the word "Girls" instead of the first letter, so that he can have a letter S at the end of his acronym instead of a letter G).

The fact that his club acronym is the word "Gross" implies that Calvin is at the age where he thinks all girls are gross. However, there is a theory that Calvin has a secret crush on Susie and that his teasing of her is just an awkward way of expressing that he secretly likes her. Here is a link to the Wiki article that talks about that particular theory:

http://calvinandhobbes.wikia.com/wiki/C ... _relations

And here is a link to the Wiki article about Calvin's GROSS club (or, to give it its long name, Get Rid Of Slimy girlS). The club sessions are always held by Calvin and Hobbes up in Calvin's treehouse, which I believe is in his garden.

http://calvinandhobbes.wikia.com/wiki/G.R.O.S.S.

Here is one of the funniest Calvin and Hobbes ones ever. It only has four frames but it's something most parents can probably relate to.

In the first frame, Calvin is shown standing outside his front door opening it and poking his head through the door while standing outside on the doormat. He shouts loudly into the house "Mom! Hey Mom!" In the second frame, Calvin's mother shouts back at him from inside the house "Calvin, stop yelling across the house! If you want to talk to me, walk over to the living room, where I am!"

In the third frame, Calvin is pictured obediently walking across the house to reach his mother. He is wearing his shoes and outdoor clothes.

In the fourth frame, Calvin has reached the sofa where his mother is sitting, and he is saying to her cheerfully: "I stepped on dog doo. Where's the hose?" The mother is pictured doing a massive face palm because she realises too late that by obeying her instructions to come and talk to her instead of shouting at her from outside on the doorstep, Calvin has left a trail of dog poo all across the house with his dirty shoes, all the way from the front door to the living room.

Calvin is very naughty and rebellious and does not usually obey his parents. This particular story shows that even on the occasions when he does obey them, he still gets it wrong. The comic does not depict him as knowingly and deliberately treading the dog poo onto the floor. I do not believe he did it maliciously. He just thought to himself "how weird. Grown-ups are weird. I stepped in dog poo, and now she wants me to walk right across the floor? Oh well. OK then. I will do that" and so he does. He just doesn't understand grown-up logic. Susie, in contrast, would not have done that. She would have removed her shoes carefully and conscientiously at the door before going inside to inform her mother of the situation. Calvin apparently didn't realise that grown-up logic would dictate that he ought to remove his shoes before obeying his mother's instructions to go into the house and find her.

So I can kind of identify with Calvin in a way, because he follows instructions literally and then still gets into trouble. That is something that autistic people have trouble with. We follow instructions extremely literally. I am not in any way implying that the character of Calvin is autistic. I do not think he is. All I am saying is that there is usually something in the character of Calvin that every reader can identify with.

Last edited by thumbhole on 15 Sep 2016, 10:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2016, 10:23 pm

^^^so do you think calvin is on the spectrum?

thumbhole
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Sep 2016, 10:24 pm

No, I specifically said:

"I am not in any way implying that the character of Calvin is autistic. I do not think he is. All I am saying is that there is usually something in the character of Calvin that every reader can identify with."