Page 5 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 7:03 am

Ichinin wrote:
If you want to find peace and tranquillity, exit the door and go into nature - it's free.

Right, so aren't you being mindful when you're in nature? :?

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 5:34 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Ichinin wrote:
Complete BS.

Stuff like this does not help when your boss is an underqualified incompetent idiot, not listening to your expertise on how to solve a problem that has persisted for 15 years, forcing you to flee to another division to get some shelter from those gaslighting manipulative psychopathic backrubbers in it for their own careers.

If you want to find peace and tranquillity, exit the door and go into nature - it's free.

The nice thing about staying calm, or getting back there, is the possibility of a creative solution. Your boss can't accept advice from a subordinate without feeling foolish, but maybe you could team up with a consultant who would come in to "discover" the solution, and split a big fee with you.

I do not do that kind of thing, a manager should recognise a good idea when they hear it, and none of those "people" are my boss anymore, i quit.

The responsible manager for the area came by and told them that they HAD to listen to me because i had special knowledge and experience, but they didn't even listen to him. He has now also quit. There were a couple of us who walked away from the department to more productive jobs.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 7:10 pm

Ichinin wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
Ichinin wrote:
Complete BS.

>The nice thing about staying calm, or getting back there, is the possibility of a creative solution. Your boss can't accept advice from a subordinate without feeling foolish, but maybe you could team up with a consultant who would come in to "discover" the solution, and split a big fee with you.

I do not do that kind of thing, a manager should recognise a good idea when they hear it, and none of those "people" are my boss anymore, i quit.

The responsible manager for the area came by and told them that they HAD to listen to me because i had special knowledge and experience, but they didn't even listen to him. He has now also quit. There were a couple of us who walked away from the department to more productive jobs.

Congratulations on finding an oasis of rationality. I never managed to do that. To reduce frustration, I'm trying to remember that for people who are incompetent at one or more of the normal thinking skills, their only big priority is concealing their disability. If they can be tricked into believing the truth, they will be just as tenacious in defending their correct position, at some cost to its image. Winston Churchill said that he could get almost anything done if he didn't care who got the credit.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 7:34 pm

StationEleven wrote:
Hello!

My ASD assessment came with a number of recommendations including relaxation and mindfulness as a way to deal with medical phobias and anxiety. For me there is a neat center in my city offering a mindfulness program and the service is covered by medicare (yay Canada!). I am looking into it and would be curious to know what your experience has been with mindfulness?

Many thanks!

I'm already a very mindful person for a number of reasons, so when my work made us sit through mindful workshops, I didn't derive any benefit from them except for the fact that I was being paid to be there. In fact, it seemed to me like they were really teaching people how to experience the world more like those on the spectrum might, at least in the sense of how one relates to one's self in one's environment.

However I do believe some people could benefit greatly from learning how to be more mindful, as I believe some people are completely caught up in the current of life and don't realize that they often have some control over themselves and their situation.

If I were to use an analogy, I would say the difference between a mindfulless person and a mindful person is the difference between a screen character who goes along with the story and a character who breaks the Fourth Wall.

The character who is not mindful is caught up in the act and the character who is mindful realizes that he/or she is actually a character embodied by an actor on a set with a crew and audience and can interact with these elements and exert a degree of control over them independent of the flow of the story.

This perspective actually saved me from being mugged once. When faced with a potential attacker, many people only see themselves and the attacker and may feel that they are boxed into a universe with said attacker, in which they are the only two people that exist,and that attack is unavoidable, even in a public space with others around.

But if we put things in perspective, we were surrounded by people, I wasn't alone, and it's the attacker who's often afraid. They are afraid you will do something to draw attention to them. So that's exactly what I did. I broke the proverbial 4th wall and engaged the people around us, which drew attention to the potential attacker and he backed off.

Mindfulness breaking the 4th wall.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 6:00 am

Dear_one wrote:
Congratulations on finding an oasis of rationality. I never managed to do that. To reduce frustration, I'm trying to remember that for people who are incompetent at one or more of the normal thinking skills, their only big priority is concealing their disability. If they can be tricked into believing the truth, they will be just as tenacious in defending their correct position, at some cost to its image. Winston Churchill said that he could get almost anything done if he didn't care who got the credit.

I have autism, i don't DO politics.