Page 3 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 1:58 pm

You will always have questions, even if you don't consciously have questions.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 3:06 pm

AspE wrote:
yournamehere wrote:
...It is about turning off your internal dialog. If you have a question, you stop it. If you have a thought, you shut it up. ...

Turning off your internal dialogue is itself a dialogue. Stopping having questions is itself a question. Shutting up is a deliberate thought. So you can see the problem. Pursuing mindfulness reinforces the mind.

So true! I like to think of it as redirecting my attention, rather than stopping anything. I like the word "mindful," not because it's about the mind, but because it's about awareness of myself and what's around me. It's about being present, rather than diving into thoughts of the past or future, or analyzing the present moment.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 3:09 pm

^That 'present moment' as you described it, is the root of Eckhart Tolle's teachings. :D

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

26 Sep 2016, 9:43 pm

DataB4 wrote:
AspE wrote:
yournamehere wrote:
...It is about turning off your internal dialog. If you have a question, you stop it. If you have a thought, you shut it up. ...

Turning off your internal dialogue is itself a dialogue. Stopping having questions is itself a question. Shutting up is a deliberate thought. So you can see the problem. Pursuing mindfulness reinforces the mind.

So true! I like to think of it as redirecting my attention, rather than stopping anything. I like the word "mindful," not because it's about the mind, but because it's about awareness of myself and what's around me. It's about being present, rather than diving into thoughts of the past or future, or analyzing the present moment.

Well said DataB4

Mindful or Mind Full??? That is the question!! !

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 6:01 pm

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 11:30 pm

I'm an experiment with my spending using mindfulness. I'm going into my second week of mindful spending. It seems to be working so far.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

02 Oct 2016, 8:19 am

AspE wrote:
yournamehere wrote:

There is a difference. When you silence your mind, everything outside of you gets taken in first. You are merely an observer. Pritty much everyones mind is "buisy". It's full of clutter you really don't need. The "buisy" part is your internal dialog making more work, and using more energy than what is nesessary. It can be extremely analytical. What you are describing is the way you think, because you're you. Shutting up is a deliberate thought, but the thought is nessesary in order to shut up. There is a state of mind here that is almost unknown to everyone, however midfullness is an improvement over someone who has a racing internal dialog. It's good enough I guess.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

02 Oct 2016, 8:41 am

SharkSandwich211 wrote:
yournamehere wrote:
somanyspoons wrote:
yournamehere wrote:
It is not just breathing, but focusing your attention on the breath. It is about the moment. There is no thought of breathing. It just is. No thoughts of past, or future. It is a way to quiet your thinking processes. It is an ability to see, and listen to everything around you without actually thinking about it. Without judgement, or opinion. You just let it happen. It is about turning off your internal dialog. If you have a question, you stop it. If you have a thought, you shut it up. There is no mind.

Mindfulness is not what I am referring to, because it is not good enough. People should get passed all of that. It still has alot of static involved in it. Mindlessness would be a better word for it.

I take exception to the idea that mindfulness isn't enough. Why that judgement?

Seems to me like one of those practices that involves a leader, or teacher, and it's design is made to pay, and keep you coming back for more. Like a prescription. Like fixing a problem, and not the cause. Like it still has some of the problem within the problem.

Doing this is better than not doing, but the art of not doing is the best of all.

I'm going deep here.

Mindfulness and Mindfulness meditation is quite the opposite. It is an individual journey. The understanding, insights, and growth can only come from work done by the individual. In my opinion that is why many people don't pursue it; they don't want to do the work. I'm not sure what classes you have been a part of where you have had to pay, but there are plenty of opportunities to learn for free if you look hard enough. The only way of knowing is by doing.

I have no class, however the Nagual and the Tonal overstepps the boundries of mindfulness. Everyone is soo tonal. It is how we are trained from birth. I do believe that any form of meditation, or silencing the mind can be an improvement that is just as well as this mindfulness thing. It can be prayer, driving a car (outside of rush hour traffic), meditation, relaxing while engulfing yourself in a special skill, whatever works for you.

I do believe that when someone recommends this stuff, there is probably some fight or flight behavior that they percieve. Panics, depression, whatever...

I think I have said too much now. I am out.

This place... This website... Too tonal... Fairwell!

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 8:41 am

I thought I'd revive this thread since it's still an important topic. I've been trying to have more experiences of mindfully listening to music. I find it difficult because music stirs up lots of thoughts and feelings for me.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 1:58 am

I am always affected by the past but after the time I put into understanding the angles and holes and framing the path I've walked, don't feel actively threatened by the distance and size of the waves - against the peaks.

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 2:53 am

My latest little book Unclouded by Longing -
Meditations on Autism and being present in an overwhelming world, is all about my experiences of living Mindfully with Autism.

I am also a member of the community of interbeing in London. The community of interbeing was founded by Thich Nhat Hanh.

As well as having high functioning autism I have complex post traumatic stress disorder. I practice to stay well.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 4:23 am

Dead thread! :skull:

Quote:
The community of interbeing was founded by Thich Nhat Hanh.

A man with more insight than most.
I get confused with the distinctions here, is "mindfulness" now something different to the traditional religious practice? Because I have had much experience with the latter and find it helpful both mundanely and religiously, but I don't think I've had much experience with this secular form of mindfulness. What's the difference?

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 4:41 am

C2V wrote:
Dead thread! :skull:
Quote:
The community of interbeing was founded by Thich Nhat Hanh.

A man with more insight than most.
I get confused with the distinctions here, is "mindfulness" now something different to the traditional religious practice? Because I have had much experience with the latter and find it helpful both mundanely and religiously, but I don't think I've had much experience with this secular form of mindfulness. What's the difference?

My only practice is within the buddhist tradition as taught by my teacher Thich Nhat Hanh. As a Quaker, I always thought the most important things in life were forgiveness and love. Today I would add presence. For if I am not present, how much can I really love and how much can I really forgive?

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 6:10 am

I had a psychologist try to explain mindfulness to me using a strawberry as an example. She first directed me to really look at the strawberry. I hate looking at strawberries because they look like they are covered in blackheads which I find gross. She then wanted me to hold the strawberry and really feel it. Like I want to run my fingers over something that resembles a bad skin condition. Next I had to smell the strawberry. Well that's a laugh because I always sniff food. It took my Husband years to reach acceptance of this particular quirk of mine. Then I had to put it in my mouth and not just taste it but experience the texture as well. Do people really eat things without tasting and experiencing the texture? Genuine question. I cannot imagine eating something without experiencing those things. I'm very sensitive to textures. Even if I like a taste, if the texture is bad I cannot eat it. I left vowing never to return. I want mindlessness. I want to not be constantly aware of every freaking sight, sound, smell, taste and texture. I want to not notice all the little things that others don't. I want to walk into a room and not notice if a picture is hanging at a slight angle of maybe 2mm because I have noticed that other people don't see these things and I cannot not see it and cannot relax until the picture is absolutely level. I want to not notice the tags in clothing, the feeling of the socks on my feet, the constant hum of fluorescent lights and the hundreds of other things that constantly assail me. I don't need to seek more, I need less. I'm glad it works for some but I cannot understand how it can work for me.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 7:08 am

I was very serious about meditation in my early and mid twenties, but I noticed that my group had ceased engaging with the world during a very critical period. I left, minus some funds, and tried to use my special talents to make more of a difference, but never met the right partners. I became wary of the consciousness mechanics, because there were so many phonies, and most people seemed to do OK without meditation.
However, my creativity and peace of mind both got worn away, and I'd meditate during the worst times to survive. Now, I think that the stress of modern life, exacerbated as it is for us but also generally, makes meditation as wise as taking time to do the dishes. There's just a build-up of stimulus that has to be rinsed away. I resolved my dilemma over which of the "best" meditations to choose by just experimenting and quickly finding one that worked for me.
Now, I'm still very wary of meditation distracting me from noticing dangerous situations, but trying to find some balance. It does seem to increase the chances of choosing the right fork in a new road, but I wonder if I have the energy left to go down another one.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2017, 7:26 pm

C2V wrote:

There are no references to religion or spirituality. The focus is on feelings and sensations, not thoughts. I find it helpful because it's a way to redirect repetitive thoughts and relax in the moment. It's a challenge for me though.