Formal Anthropology Artical Analyzing the 'Tulpa' Subculture

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 5:42 am

Apparently, from what I've read recently, the concept is to create a personality, a character if you will. Through intense focus and concentration, you make every aspect of this personality real: personality traits, physical characteristics, their voice, even the way their skin feels when you touch them. After hours and hours of vividly focused imagining, this personality takes on a life of its own. Its creator starts experiencing the personality's thoughts, feelings, ETC. automatically, and the personality becomes real enough to be a hallucination, a constant companion through life. Somewhere along this process, as the personality takes on a life of its own, it becomes a tulpa.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 5:44 am

Its rigorously training adults to do..what many children do naturally: have imaginary friends.

Thats my understanding of it from reading that article (never heard of it before now).

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 6:03 am

DataB4 wrote:
I'm curious, Techstepgenr8tion. How did you choose those four personalities? What do you do? Do you meditate and try to imagine what they'd say? Does it go deeper than that?

It's not what I'm using, what I am using personally are various deities on the tree of life. If I were trying to come up with something to offer though for people who want to play it as safe as possible that's however where I'd start - ie. building a self-correcting and self-balancing system like that of the four elements.

The importance of the concepts of the four elements as the four counterbalancing corners of the personality comes from a lot of places. Franz Bardon built the front end of his system on the balancing of these, the first four initiatory grades of the Hermetic Golden Dawn system as well as the grade work involved are based on refining/perfecting the four elements. In some respects I'm working with these but, working in the Tree of Life, I'm doing it a little bit differently and for me it's more of pulling in the influences I need as I need them and building the circuit that way. Also, if you want to get unorthodox with Judaism the YHVH formula is seen as Fire-Water-Air-Earth, where the Y and V are masculine and the two H's are feminine.

I would suppose also, if one comes from a Judao-Christian background, if they do use the four element ring one of the easiest places to start for giving personalities to the four elements would be Raphael over Air, Michael over Fire, Gabriel over Water, and Uriel over Earth. They could also get a lot of good visual queues from reading various treatises on the LBRP to get a good description of the iconography, colors, and tools/implements associated with them.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 6:05 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Its rigorously training adults to do..what many children do naturally: have imaginary friends.

Thats my understanding of it from reading that article (never heard of it before now).

If a person leverages it the right ways it also amounts to hacking your own brain.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 7:33 am

DataB4 wrote:
Apparently, from what I've read recently, the concept is to create a personality, a character if you will. Through intense focus and concentration, you make every aspect of this personality real: personality traits, physical characteristics, their voice, even the way their skin feels when you touch them. After hours and hours of vividly focused imagining, this personality takes on a life of its own. Its creator starts experiencing the personality's thoughts, feelings, ETC. automatically, and the personality becomes real enough to be a hallucination, a constant companion through life. Somewhere along this process, as the personality takes on a life of its own, it becomes a tulpa.

That sounds kind of scary. :O Why would I want to constantly experience the thoughts and feelings of an imaginary friend?

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 5:22 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I never really got the whole "tulpa" thing. Can someone give me a simple explanation of what it's all about?
Most simply, deliberately creating a voice, a visible form and entity that can think for itself, talk or do anything the creator wants, similar but beyond an imaginary friend. Though I maybe oversimplifying it a bit depending whom you ask.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135