Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 3:15 am

OMG :pale:

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 2:38 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Yeah. It's really stupid they way the discourage people from owning their own homes.

Your home isn't included on the assets test.
Unless it's a million dollar mansion or something.
Mine certainly isn't.

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2017, 2:58 pm

PuzzlePieces1 wrote:
While I have what formerly was referred to as Aspergers Syndrome, I have become an expert on money, credit, and all other matters in personal finance through my former employment at one of my state's largest credit unions as well as extensive personal research and practice. To give you an indication of my expertise, in seven years' time, I went from a credit score of 300 to 780, eliminated all consumer debt, bought a house, bought a brand new car with cash, became an active and very successful stock market investor, and I have a large personally-managed retirement account.

Money matters can be very frightening for many people, particularly people on the spectrum, so I would like to offer advice for free to anyone who has questions. Give me your questions about bank accounts, credit cards, mortgages, investing, retirement savings, and all other personal finance matters and I'll give you free advice.

On page 2, second post of this discussion thread: First paragraph of post:

What types of professional services offer assistance in navigating transactions such as vehicle/auto purchases, and negotiating the process of renting an apartment?

-----------

The need for trusted professional services offering advisors / advocacy to navigate those "tricky" agendas that are a part of everyday life is an important topic concerning the Aspergers community. Yet, why are discussions on the topic largely absent????

As original poster in this thread, can you provide specific resources?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 5:53 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Your home isn't included on the assets test.
Unless it's a million dollar mansion or something.
Mine certainly isn't.
Oh.

What if I have $40,000 set aside for buying a home and then I lose my job and have to go back on the disability pension. Then I'm screwed right?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 6:24 pm

I don't think that amount would affect it at all, but don't quote me on that.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 6:42 pm

Ok

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 6:57 pm

I've heard what you do is take all your money out of the bank and declare you have a gambling addiction :lol:

I know someone who did this, and ironically, they received welfare.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2017, 8:54 pm

PuzzlePieces1 wrote:
Sorry for taking so long to get back to everyone's questions. I was away for a little bit. If anyone has more questions about money and investments, I am glad to share what I know. :-)

Thanks for answering my question and starting this thread. You made it easy to understand :)

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jan 2017, 4:43 am

Raleigh wrote:
how can I live on $517 a fortnight?

Two minute noodles. But go to a chinese supermarket - try to find soft ones (they often have very hard noodles) that are thin - you can get some real good deals there.
Next buy some tomato paste, and spices, and perhaps some coconut cream/avocado for variety & fat/protein :).

get a pepper shaker fill it with salt, pepper, your choice of spices & make sure they are ground enough to come out. Add a small portion of sugar too - that will boost the flavour. Write down all your measurements so you can save the recipe & experiment/improve.
You can spread a thin layer of tomato paste on top of the noodles then shake the spices on to them.
Change tomato paste for avocado. Add some coconut cream to your tomato paste (not too much as it is a quite strong flavour), you could also add some ground dried coconut (cheaper and lasts longer) Be sure to refridgerate your coconut or even put in freezer.
Be sure to wrap your shaker in a bag so the air stays out and it will remain fresh.
You can make up large batches of the spice, then refill your shaker as needed.
If you're running short on tomato paste, you can spray water on to the noodles to help the spices stick - also good for making softer as they can be hell on your gums.

The reason for not cooking them up as normal is - your stomach has to soften them - it takes longer to digest & that leads to less hunger pains.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 5:44 am

AngryAngryAngry wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
how can I live on $517 a fortnight?
Two minute noodles. But go to a chinese supermarket - try to find soft ones (they often have very hard noodles) that are thin - you can get some real good deals there.
Next buy some tomato paste, and spices, and perhaps some coconut cream/avocado for variety & fat/protein :).

get a pepper shaker fill it with salt, pepper, your choice of spices & make sure they are ground enough to come out. Add a small portion of sugar too - that will boost the flavour. Write down all your measurements so you can save the recipe & experiment/improve.
You can spread a thin layer of tomato paste on top of the noodles then shake the spices on to them.
Change tomato paste for avocado. Add some coconut cream to your tomato paste (not too much as it is a quite strong flavour), you could also add some ground dried coconut (cheaper and lasts longer) Be sure to refridgerate your coconut or even put in freezer.
Be sure to wrap your shaker in a bag so the air stays out and it will remain fresh.
You can make up large batches of the spice, then refill your shaker as needed.
If you're running short on tomato paste, you can spray water on to the noodles to help the spices stick - also good for making softer as they can be hell on your gums.

The reason for not cooking them up as normal is - your stomach has to soften them - it takes longer to digest & that leads to less hunger pains.
That's too many carbs! He'll get fat.

Also you have not included adequate sources of vitamins A, C, or magnesium. He'll get malnutrition and possibly scurvy on that diet.

My suggestion would be to buy plenty of eggs, cook them how you like. Snack on apples and/or organges and for a healthy low calorie dinner, have the spinach and kale mix from Woolworth (it costs only $2, it has plenty of magnesium and it has only 40 calories per serve so it can't possibly make you fat).

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2017, 3:07 pm

My friend got gout from eating instant noodles everyday lol.

I feed myself on around 150 a month with potatoes, eggs, cereal, rice, oatmeal, fresh vegetables, frozen fruits, frozen seafood and bread. You may not have to eat as much as me though, I burn crazy calories biking everywhere and I've always had a high metabolism. Sometimes that 150 includes around 20 bucks of eating out a month.

I do eat nongshim noodles though. A lot are vegan with no TBT and run about 1.00 a pack. Still chock full of sodium though.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 5:02 pm

But I hate noodles.
And I'm gluten intolerant anyway.
I'd be sh*****g through the eye of a needle at ten paces.

I do grow some of my my own veges, fruit and herbs.
I'm thinking of getting some chickens because I eat a lot of eggs, but then I would have to weigh up the cost of a coop, food and lice control.
Meat is expensive but I don't think I could go vegetarian.
I could go apocalypse style and BBQ some guinea pigs. :lol:
The fishing is not too bad around here.

My main concern is paying rates/utilities/insurance/medical bills.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2017, 8:35 pm

Raleigh wrote:
But I hate noodles.
And I'm gluten intolerant anyway.
I'd be sh*****g through the eye of a needle at ten paces.

I do grow some of my my own veges, fruit and herbs.
I'm thinking of getting some chickens because I eat a lot of eggs, but then I would have to weigh up the cost of a coop, food and lice control.
Meat is expensive but I don't think I could go vegetarian.
I could go apocalypse style and BBQ some guinea pigs. :lol:
The fishing is not too bad around here.

My main concern is paying rates/utilities/insurance/medical bills.

Heck, if you have space to grow veggies and raise chickens get into the local farmers market. Idk where you are but gvmt assistance covers the rest for me. I'd be in deep s**t otherwise. Unlike a lot of people on here my Aspergers is disabling yet high functioning. Ain't life a b***h lol.