Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2017, 8:35 pm

Raleigh wrote:
But I hate noodles.
And I'm gluten intolerant anyway.
I'd be sh*****g through the eye of a needle at ten paces.

I do grow some of my my own veges, fruit and herbs.
I'm thinking of getting some chickens because I eat a lot of eggs, but then I would have to weigh up the cost of a coop, food and lice control.
Meat is expensive but I don't think I could go vegetarian.
I could go apocalypse style and BBQ some guinea pigs. :lol:
The fishing is not too bad around here.

My main concern is paying rates/utilities/insurance/medical bills.

Heck, if you have space to grow veggies and raise chickens get into the local farmers market. Idk where you are but gvmt assistance covers the rest for me. I'd be in deep s**t otherwise. Unlike a lot of people on here my Aspergers is disabling yet high functioning. Ain't life a b***h lol.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2017, 2:02 pm

retrogamer87 wrote:
That's too many carbs! He'll get fat.

Also you have not included adequate sources of vitamins A, C, or magnesium. He'll get malnutrition and possibly scurvy on that diet.

Not if he is exercising. I assure you this is a minimal nutrition diet (the amount of carbs in noodles is not significant, compared with average meals of potatoes, bread, cereal).

Tomato Paste: Vitamin C 21.9 mg; Magnesium 42 mg; Vitamin A; Vitamin A 1,525 IU
Paprika Vitamin C 0.9 mg; Magnesium 178 mg; Vitamin A 49,254 IU
Avocado Vitamin C 10 mg; Magnesium 29 mg; Vitamin A 146 IU

If you are truely concerned about vitamins, use Himalayan Rock Salt or Black Volcanic Salt. They cost a bit, but are also stronger so you use half as much.
Ideally get some Kelp powder (from a South Pacific Source - except South America) The rest of the worlds oceans are quite contaminated (lead, mercury, etc) and kelp pick those up quite well. This is expensive, but worth it as you only use 1/4 tsp at a time.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 3:10 pm

Vitamin fortified breakfast cereal frequently goes on sale at deep discounts.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 9:07 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
Your home isn't included on the assets test.
Unless it's a million dollar mansion or something.
Mine certainly isn't.
Oh.

What if I have $40,000 set aside for buying a home and then I lose my job and have to go back on the disability pension. Then I'm screwed right?

If you've been working full time, how can you go back on disability?
Haven't you proven that you are 'able' enough to work?

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2017, 10:08 am

Raleigh wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
Your home isn't included on the assets test.
Unless it's a million dollar mansion or something.
Mine certainly isn't.
Oh.

What if I have $40,000 set aside for buying a home and then I lose my job and have to go back on the disability pension. Then I'm screwed right?

If you've been working full time, how can you go back on disability?
Haven't you proven that you are 'able' enough to work?

Unless you've used up your eligible Ticket to Work time which I think is 9 months, you'll probably have to go through the 2 year evaluation again.

PuzzlePieces1
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2017, 8:26 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
PuzzlePieces1 wrote:
QuillAlba wrote:
You are full of s**t.
Thanks for your input. The fact that I spent ten days on vacation at a resort in Hawaii this summer just using some cash I had lying around suggests that you may be wrong about me.
How did you get that much money?

I work two jobs and spend very little beyond basic necessities like shelter, clothing, and food. I use an antenna for TV instead of paying for cable/satellite, play board games/D&D instead of more expensive hobbies, have potluck dinners with friends instead of going out to bars/restaurants, etc. Then, I invested all that saved up money with Vanguard Funds in VTSMX (or VTSAX once the savings go over $10,000). That allows me to earn enough money to go on a fancy trip now and again without it hurting me financially.

PuzzlePieces1
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2017, 8:31 am

Here wrote:
Hello,

What types of professional services offer assistance in navigating transactions such as vehicle/auto purchases, and negotiating the process of renting an apartment?

By any chance, would such services go "along the lines" of notaries offering some types of fiduciary services? If not, what specific types of professional services are applicable?

To enlist trusted, impartial "third parties" in those complex transactions that are periodically a part of everyday life can go "a long way" in boosting the progress of people concerned with Aspergers!

Thank-you

It's very difficult to find professional financial services that will not purposefully screw over a person with autism. Most finance professionals have low/no morals and they have absolutely no qualms about doing anything they want to get your money. Your best bet is simply to educate yourself and handle finances on your own. As a starting point, I recommend "The Money Book for the Young Fabulous and Broke" by Suze Orman, which explains personal finance in a really convenient question and answer format and tells you the truth about everything. This book is available at most libraries for free.

Also, I just want to reiterate that you should never trust a personal finance expert with your investments. Simply invest with Vanguard Funds in their major index funds like VTSMX/VTSAX. If you are starting out at the very beginning invest in the Vanguard Star Fund (VGSTX) with a minimum of $1000 and then exchange that for VTSMX once you reach $3000 and VTSAX once you reach $10000.

PuzzlePieces1
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2017, 8:33 am

AngryAngryAngry wrote:
What is a good way of hiding my money from being taxed/on the system, while keeping it liquid and easy to transport.

I had tens of thousands recently, but this prevented me from getting income support, so blew through most of it. Now I'm back to square one.

I've thought about gold (heavy not very liquid) prone to value fluctuation.
Diamonds - difficult to buy cheaply. Difficult to liquify.
Ancient artifacts (small jewelery).

I don't recommend hiding income, because if the government finds out, they will penalize you PLUS charge interest on taxes owed PLUS possibly give you jail time. That being said, there are legal ways to shelter your money: 1.) Start a Roth IRA and earn money tax-free for retirement, 2.) Work in exchange for gift cards, which aren't taxed, 3.) Stash your money in cryptocurrency like BitCoin that legally works pretty much the same as gift cards.

PuzzlePieces1
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2017, 8:41 am

Raleigh wrote:
how can I live on $517 a fortnight?

Here are some ways to reduce your expenses to make that easier:

1.) When I was starting out on my adult life journey, I rented a room from someone off Craigslist instead of getting an apartment which cut my housing expenses to 1/3 of what I had been paying.

2.) Cancel all subscription entertainment services like magazines, cable/satellite TV service, WoW or other MMO games, etc. Replace them with a TV antenna or Hulu if you can't get an antenna signal, borrow books and movies from the library, play free video games, etc.

3.) Get a membership with a warehouse store and buy all your groceries there instead of the grocery store. I save thousands of dollars a year that way.

4.) If you can, replace your expensive cell phone plan with Republic Wireless, which costs $5/mo. There is no data plan with it, but you can just use your home wifi and public wifi spots, which are pretty much everywhere these days.

5.) Buy your clothes at Goodwill, Salvation Army, or other thrift shops instead of department stores. I save hundreds of dollars a year on clothes that way.

6.) Use a bicycle to get around or walk instead of using a car. You will save thousands by not paying for gas, insurance, registration, etc. Plus it has health benefits.

7.) Eat less meat. Meat is expensive and makes you fat. Vegetables can be purchased really cheaply and will make you thin and healthy.

8.) Instead of buying furniture, electronics, etc. at stores, go on Freecycle and check if anyone is giving them away. This will save you thousands of dollars.

9.) Offer to trade your skills for goods instead of buying them. I frequently do this for people over Craigslist, etc. and I've gotten a lot of stuff that way.

10.) Fill out surveys for Pinecone Research and use Bing Rewards for Amazon gift cards and then use that money to buy long-term useful items that will save you money. I used my gift cards to purchase a portable solar panel set which I use to charge my cell phone/laptop. It's saved me hundreds of dollars over time.

Hope this helps.

PuzzlePieces1
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2017, 8:44 am

auntblabby wrote:
the OP suggested I find something i'm good at and monetize it. that is fine advice for somebody who is good at and for something, and has inborn entrepreneurial social talents. how does one get THOSE things? :scratch:

Well, what you do is think about what you do for fun and then figure out how to sell it. For example, a lot of people in China/Korea play World of Warcraft for a living because they sell rare items in game or they sell entire characters they have created.

Other people have crafty hobbies like knitting/sewing/woodworking/making T-Shirts or Mugs and then they sell them on Craigslist and Etsy.

It just takes a little thought to figure out what you know how to do.

PuzzlePieces1
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2017, 8:53 am

I saw some posts on here talking about how to keep food costs down. Here are a few suggestions:

1.) It's almost always cheaper to prepare food at home than to eat out so if you stop eating at restaurants or takeout, that will dramatically decrease the cost of food for you.

2.) Eating cheaply does not have to mean eating food that is unhealthy. You do not typically need to eat canned food (which has a lot of sodium) or pasta/ramen noodles (which has almost no nutritional value.)

3.) The more you make things from scratch, the cheaper it typically will be. I have a warehouse store membership and I buy flour in 20 lb bags, sugar in 10 lb bags, yeast in 4 lb packages at a time, vegetable oil in gallon jugs, etc. Stuff that keeps a long time can be purchased this way and then you use it over the course of months to reduce your food costs. Always check the unit price for the real value of the goods, instead of looking at the sticker price.

4.) Getting a few household appliances off Craigslist will save you a lot of money. I bought a bread machine off Craigslist for $30 and I have used it to produce $4000 worth of bread and pizza dough for myself and my wife. If you make your own pizza dough and purchase cheese and sauce separately, you can make a pizza for about $1.50 instead of paying $15 from a pizzaria.

5.) Buy frozen vegetables instead of canned vegetables. They keep for a really long time and are low in sodium. I buy 5 lb bags of peas and other vegetables very cheaply at the warehouse store.

6.) Use free recipes off the internet to make all the comfort food you enjoy when you want a treat. I found recipes online for making General Tso's Chicken, meatball subs, etc. and I can make it much more cheaply and much healthier than I can get it at a restaurant. My wife loves it.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 9:24 am

http://extension.colostate.edu/docs/pub ... /08704.pdf
Calculating the cost of preserving food.

Freezing large quantities of cheap food may not make much sense if you live in a place where electricity is expensive.

I do like to bake cakes and freeze them in individual portions to eat as lunchtime deserts. They taste great :D

If you have a talent for numbers and have to pay both state and federal income taxes, it can be very advantageous to put money in a traditional IRA and tweak your income to avoid tax cliffs. Tax cliffs are the unfortunate situation where that last dollar you earned may cost you much more than that dollar in taxes. 8O You may find that a tax credit goes away because you earned too much money. Putting that money in an traditional IRA may give you back that tax credit. Of course, you can't put that money in an IRA until you know how much to optimally deduct.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 1:13 am

Quote:
Here are some ways to reduce your expenses to make that easier:

1.) When I was starting out on my adult life journey, I rented a room from someone off Craigslist instead of getting an apartment which cut my housing expenses to 1/3 of what I had been paying.

I own my own home, so I'm not paying rent - just rates, insurance and maintenance.

Quote:
2.) Cancel all subscription entertainment services like magazines, cable/satellite TV service, WoW or other MMO games, etc. Replace them with a TV antenna or Hulu if you can't get an antenna signal, borrow books and movies from the library, play free video games, etc.

I don't have any subscriptions, don't have cable, I already borrow books etc.

Quote:
3.) Get a membership with a warehouse store and buy all your groceries there instead of the grocery store. I save thousands of dollars a year that way.

We don't have any food warehouses where I live. It's a small town.

Quote:
4.) If you can, replace your expensive cell phone plan with Republic Wireless, which costs $5/mo. There is no data plan with it, but you can just use your home wifi and public wifi spots, which are pretty much everywhere these days.

I don't have a mobile phone plan and I don't pay for the wifi I use.

Quote:
5.) Buy your clothes at Goodwill, Salvation Army, or other thrift shops instead of department stores. I save hundreds of dollars a year on clothes that way.

Already do that. I don't really need to buy clothes. I have heaps.

Quote:
6.) Use a bicycle to get around or walk instead of using a car. You will save thousands by not paying for gas, insurance, registration, etc. Plus it has health benefits.

Already do that.

Quote:
7.) Eat less meat. Meat is expensive and makes you fat. Vegetables can be purchased really cheaply and will make you thin and healthy.

Here it's the other way around. Meat is relatively cheap but vegetables are expensive. I grow a lot of my own veges.

Quote:
8.) Instead of buying furniture, electronics, etc. at stores, go on Freecycle and check if anyone is giving them away. This will save you thousands of dollars.

I don't really buy furniture. I already have loads of furniture.

Quote:
9.) Offer to trade your skills for goods instead of buying them. I frequently do this for people over Craigslist, etc. and I've gotten a lot of stuff that way.

I don't think anyone would want to buy my skills. My capacity to work is limited.

Quote:
10.) Fill out surveys for Pinecone Research and use Bing Rewards for Amazon gift cards and then use that money to buy long-term useful items that will save you money. I used my gift cards to purchase a portable solar panel set which I use to charge my cell phone/laptop. It's saved me hundreds of dollars over time.

I'm not quite sure what those things are.

I should have mentioned that I'm already quite a frugal person.
I just don't see how I can tighten things up any further.
But thanks for replying.