Positive Internet Dating Advice.

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DJHorton
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Sep 2016, 10:44 am

Hi there, do any of you have any success with internet dating sites or software? I have started using Ok Cupid but I never have any luck. I would like to improve however, at the moment I feel like I am shooting messages into a black hole and I want to be more effective. I will probably use other dating sites as well are there any which the users of wrong planet have found useful?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2016, 7:56 pm

I've done better on chatrooms back in the early days of the Internet.

DJHorton
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Sep 2016, 4:31 am

Unfortunately its not 1983 anymore.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 8:13 am

I think you mean 1995 LOL

Very few people had the Internet in 1983. Very few people carried around cell phones in those days, for that matter.

But...I still feel that chatrooms might be the way to go. Especially if you have good writing skills.

If you want to do online dating, don't post clichés into your profile. Don't just say "hi' when you're trying to text somebody. Many people make that mistake.

The VERY best thing to do is to either get introduced by somebody, or go to a venue where there's lots of women--lie a Star Trek convention or something like that.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 9:01 am

DJHorton wrote:
Hi there, do any of you have any success with internet dating sites or software? I have started using Ok Cupid but I never have any luck. I would like to improve however, at the moment I feel like I am shooting messages into a black hole and I want to be more effective. I will probably use other dating sites as well are there any which the users of wrong planet have found useful?

It depends on a number of things how much luck you have with online dating. It depends on whether your dating profile is attractive, what kinds of messages you are sending as the first message etc. Maybe if you can tell us what your profile looks like or what you have been writing to women, then we can help you.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 9:08 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I think you mean 1995 LOL

Very few people had the Internet in 1983. Very few people carried around cell phones in those days, for that matter.

But...I still feel that chatrooms might be the way to go. Especially if you have good writing skills.

If you want to do online dating, don't post clichés into your profile. Don't just say "hi' when you're trying to text somebody. Many people make that mistake.

The VERY best thing to do is to either get introduced by somebody, or go to a venue where there's lots of women--lie a Star Trek convention or something like that.

I like bugs. How many Australian bug conventions are there? And how many single women like bugs and go to these conventions? And of that small group, how many don't have a huge number of guys chasing after them that I somehow have to compete with? I feel like statistics are against me here.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 9:21 am

Marcia Brady liked a guy who was into bugs. And she wasn't bad-looking at all!

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 9:28 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Marcia Brady liked a guy who was into bugs. And she wasn't bad-looking at all!

I appreciate your attempts to be positive, but it doesn't really fill me with confidence that your counter-point to my statistics nightmare is a fictional character.

I recently went to the Bugs Alive! exhibition at the Melbourne Museum. Mostly I was concentrating on the bugs, but I couldn't help but notice that every single woman that I saw there was with a boyfriend.

The true horrors of dating become apparent when you realize that not only are you an ugly weirdo, but also that even if you somehow meet someone who is compatible, they almost certainly have their eyes on somebody else.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 10:04 am

I'm a weirdo. I'm not gorgeous. I'm under 5 foot 5. I've had many girlfriends.

Statistics do not reflect the experience of individual people.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 10:17 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm a weirdo. I'm not gorgeous. I'm under 5 foot 5. I've had many girlfriends.

Statistics do not reflect the experience of individual people.

Well my individual experience is that every single even remotely compatible woman already had a boyfriend.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 10:44 am

But many eventually BREAK UP with the boyfriends.

DJHorton
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Sep 2016, 6:13 am

Which chat rooms did you use?

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2016, 6:34 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
But many eventually BREAK UP with the boyfriends.

It used to depress me when nearly everyone I knew had a relationship. It further bothered me that everyone I worked with seemed to be married and I was the eternal single guy. Today, I am the married one and well over half of those coworkers are now separated or divorced.

To address the OPs question, I consider dating sites (particularly free ones) to be a huge waste of time. Sure, I did find love in the end but I would likely have found it in other ways. The only relationship I got from a free site was an epic disaster. More often that not, on the rare chance I had a great first date, she would disappear. Took me a long time to realize it was nothing I was doing wrong but the nature of online dating in general.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2016, 8:29 am

I had luck online, but it was over a decade ago. I basically let my freak flag fly, and found an echoing soul. :shrug: :oops:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2016, 8:34 am

In the 1990s, I found success via the Jewish Chatroom.

DJHorton
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Sep 2016, 4:42 pm

Unfortunately I'm not Jewish so this isn't an option for me.