My middle name 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
A completely alternate name 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
By a legal name that I picked out (legal change) 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 38

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 1:59 am

My birth name is Alicia (as in Aleesha) and doesn't fit me that well so I don't go by it, instead, I go by a shortened version of my name (Allie) because it fits me better. I haven't legally changed it and I'm not planning on it. It would upset my parents and it's too much work.

I only transitioned from Alicia to Allie about 15 months ago. Some people picked up on it quickly and others didn't. The worst was my boss, who I gently reminded many times, and then just let it go when she kept calling me Alicia. She eventually caught on, but it took a very, very long time. I still have old friends who I don't see very often text me "That's great ALICIA!" and recently, my childhood friend's mom posted "Great photos ALICIA" on Facebook. Others have caught on to it very quickly.

Very few people have had any personal issue with the change, only my mom's friend and my aunt. They really like the name Alicia so don't understand why I'd change it (even though it's not so much that I don't like it, but that I don't feel very comfortable with it). When I told that I don't think it suits me very well, they said "Oh yes it does". However, the only person who thinks Alicia fits me besides them is my dad, even my mom doesn't think it's that great of fit for me.

Who else goes by a name other than their birth name?

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 2:00 pm

I go-by a different name.

It's my LAST name that I'd like to change----but, it COSTS, and I have WAAAAAY more things, ahead of it, on my priority list.

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 2:07 pm

I don't really like my name. It's very feminine.

Sometimes I go by a nickname but I'm wondering if my middle name would work.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 2:11 pm

I go by my birth name. My mom goes by her middle name.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 2:15 pm

It's a long story, but I started going by my current name (Gwen) right after I graduated from high school. I had always loved the name and desperately wanted to have it be my name. I'm in the process of legally changing it. The name I go by now will legally become my middle name and my old first name will be the same, so I will be going by my middle name. I'm also changing my last name to remove my mother's last name and go by my father's. It's complicated, but I'm happy with the resolution :)

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 2:27 pm

Danielle is my birth name. My bf, his family and friends (who picked it up from him), and a few online friends shorten it to Dani. I used to hate my name because it was a feminized boy's name. It often got chopped off to Daniel by computer systems and children and adults with speech difficulties often pronounce it that way.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 2:29 pm

I go by my birth name, which is Taylor. My mother's maiden name was also Taylor.

For the longest time, I didn't like filling out my middle name to people... But now I do because, otherwise, people think I'm a dude. :lol:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

20 Sep 2016, 3:21 pm

I go by my birth name and other versions of it, middle name is named after someone so it would be weird to go by that.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 3:29 pm

There is another option: the double barrelled birthname surname with partner's surname. A lot of women have chosen this option after the 1970s rather than giving up their identity when entering longterm partnerships.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 4:40 pm

I go by my initials. So none of the above.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2016, 10:15 am

Mine legally changed out of gendering when I began transition. Way too much thought went into it, and it's perfect.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2016, 10:19 am

I go by my birth first and last name. I only use my middle name when it's required, though I like it.

I'm a Don, and not a Richard LOL

I used to not like my birth name too much---but I got used to it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Sep 2016, 3:59 am

I go by my birth name & a shortened version of my birth name. It doesn't matter to me really & depends on what others feel like using.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 4:02 am

Yes. Can anyone guess what it is?

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 7:31 pm

I have always hated the name I was christened, and some years ago I had another name legally added. I never go by my original name.
I picked a name I like, but I don’t identify with it the way I do my nicknames that are not related to real names at all. There are a couple of stories behind how those nicks came to be. My username here and two nicknames are much more me than any of my names, and I feel far more comfortable being called Skilpadde or a nick.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 10:56 pm

Dislike mine, but attempting to change it is a lot more effort than it's worth.