Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Ishi2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2016, 5:23 pm

I keep hearing these stories about Near Death Experiences and people going to heaven and seeing their loved ones, and I can't help but think "What a load of baloney." I'm not dismissing anyone's religious beliefs, it's just hard for me to imagine NDEs being caused by anything but a lack of oxygen to the brain. Now I'm not a neurologist and I don't know much about this sort of thing, but I can't help but be skeptical. Anyone else have opinions/information/personal experience on this sort of thing?

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2016, 9:25 pm

The dissociative experience associated with NMDA antagonism is probably the primary factor to NDEs. Endogenous DMT may also contribute towards the feelings.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 6:09 am

I think with greatly improved resuscitation techniques, particularly for cardiac arrest, we'll keep hearing more about them.

The question seems to be, with the phenomena under increasingly tight scrutiny, whether circumstantial evidence will continue to build for these sorts of experiences actually tapping unknowable data or whether such interesting cases increasingly disappear.

I'd just say watch with interest but know that none of your speculations, my speculations, or anyone else's won't really have much bearing on the matter.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 6:20 am

I think I had a near near death experience once: I accidentally overdosed on oxycontin (long story.) I remember becoming conscious to my grandparents who were really pleased to see me and urged me to make myself comfortable in their home. It wasn't the home they had when they were alive, but similar. Then my Dad showed up and told me urgently that I had to go; he did not want me to stay and he and my grandparents argued. Then I got this huge feeling of being chased and the rest was just running from these shiny black guys. I finally got where I was going and I woke up. They didn't catch me.