Desperation, Science, Charlatans and Alternative Treatments

Page 1 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 3:02 am

The seekers: Why parents try fringe therapies for autism

It is a lengthy and att times tough article to read but I really liked the end.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 4:17 am

Michael Fitzgerald said this about the promoters of "vaccines cause autism myth":

Its supporters are strident in their demands for trials of the safety of vaccines [but] when it comes to biomedical treatments they reject any suggestion that these should be subjected to proper evaluation. They are outraged by the presence of infinitesimal quantities of mercury in vaccines (which prevent bacterial contamination without ever being associated with any adverse effect), yet they seem quite happy to inject children with a product like secretin, a crude extract of pig pancreas that was developed for the purpose of testing pancreatic function but has never been tested in any way for therapeutic use.'

There are such parents who blithely subject their children to dangerous "cures" and whether those children are ever able in later life to reach self-acceptance is very concerning. If your parents can't or won't accept you as the person you are, it must be terribly difficult to form positive self awareness all by yourself later on.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 9:16 am

There is no real vaccines/autism controversy. The evidence is in. The scientific community has reached a clear consensus that vaccines don’t cause autism. There is, however, a manufactured controversy created by junk science, dishonest researchers, professional misconduct, outright fraud, lies, misrepresentations, irresponsible reporting, unfortunate media publicity, poor judgment, misguided celebrities who think they are wiser than the whole of medical science, and a few maverick doctors who ought to know better.

Thousands of parents have been frightened into rejecting or delaying immunizations for their children. The immunization rate has dropped, resulting in the return of endemic measles in the U.K. and various outbreaks of vaccine-preventable diseases in the U.S. Herd immunity has been lost. The public health consequences are serious
and are likely to get worse before they get better -- a load of unscientific nonsense has put us all at risk.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 12:02 pm

Well, that's liberty: people have a right to embrace irrationality, preach it, not give a crap about collective problems and ardently profess their rebellion against those who try to curtail their freedom in the name of science or the common good (like herd immunity).

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 12:48 am

Alternative medicine treatment put four-year-old boy in A&E

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 1:01 am

Autistic Toddler Hospitalized After Receiving Holistic Autism ‘Medicine': Silver & Epsom Bath Salts

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 1:27 am

Thanks for this thread, APOM. Grim and terribly sad reading though they make, - those poor children - I think it would be valuable to have an ongoing record of these atrocities, for reference by concerned members who may find the information posted by yourself here very useful for targeted lobbying to raise awareness and stop this form of parental abuse.

Amaltheia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Oct 2016, 1:55 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The seekers: Why parents try fringe therapies for autism

It is a lengthy and at times tough article to read but I really liked the end.

I also really liked the end.

But I found most of the article deeply depressing. As I was reading it, I just kept thinking "Are we autistics really so unbelievably awful that it's worth all this effort and money to try and fix us?"

I really wish someone would do an article on what it is about their autistic children all these parents hate so much.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 2:04 am

UK Petition:

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=323816

You can still sign it.

In the USA the FDA has already addressed this particular kind of cruel abuse.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 2:46 am

Amaltheia wrote:
"Are we autistics really so unbelievably awful that it's worth all this effort and money to try and fix us?"

I really wish someone would do an article on what it is about their autistic children all these parents hate so much.

I propose a new diagnosis "Autism Derangement Syndrome"

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2016, 11:32 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Washington Post has covered this story
Cautionary tale of 4-year-old autistic boy rushed to ER after treatment with supplements

Soulsparrer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2016, 7:57 am

The beast treatment for higher-functioning autism probably isn't medicine or odd therapy treatments; it would probably be therapeutic exercises or education to improve the mental deficits.

For example, having people watch live-action videos on youtube of social interaction, or realistic TV shows and understanding the 'logic' behind it; as well as relaxation exercises or meditation.

Likewise reading books on human psychology or sociology. I think that higher-functioning autistics and improve their ability if they understand the logic behind human interaction; the problem is that it doesn't come as naturally and a lot of them are obstinate about doing things that don't make logical sense.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 10:12 pm

Parents warned of bogus autism aid - The West Australian

Quote:
One in 100 Australians is estimated to be on the autism spectrum. The institute’s research suggested 50 to 60 per cent of families had tried complementary and alternative therapies.

“One thing that concerns me greatly is the low standards of evidence we accept in the field of autism compared to any health or medical condition where high standards are required,” he said.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 2:06 am

Parents are insisting on doctors who insist on vaccinations - Washington Post

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 1:06 am

Study Alleging A Connection Between Vaccines and Autism 'Unpublished' By Journal The study, published in a controversial journal, was removed after widespread criticism of its methods, motives, and overall validity. - Snopes

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 1:31 am

Andrew Wakefield Keynote Speaker at International Chiropractors Conference