Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2016, 3:57 pm

I dont flirt, if I like someone I say it to its face or I give the person a phonecall. (The last thing I actually have end doing these days, In tired of giving). But again, I cant flirt and dont know what it is. What the hell is it? I know the stupid wink or the "hey can I get your number" but the more not so obvious signs just get past me. Alot of friends had said things like "He tried to talk to you, you just looked away" or "he ask alot about you" or the scary starring and smiling But is that flirting or just how people are in general? Wish people were as open as I am just saying "you know, I do like you in a girlfriendly way, just so you know". That would be SO clear for me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 6:27 pm

If two alpacas rub noses with each other, they're flirting.

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 9:52 pm

If you engage in an unnecessary conversation with an opposite sex ( with same sex if you are gay) it's considered flirting. I kid you not.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 10:53 pm

Yes, there are no true rules to flirting.

Flirting is simply expressing your romantic and/or physical interest in someone, subtly or directly.

You can do it however you want to. Don't get caught up in 'rules' and 'guidelines'.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 12:20 pm

Playfully teasing, dipping your toes along the edge of the lake and maybe venturing further depending on how significant the expanse of water is between you and the opposite party, throwing cotton wool in the air and watching how it drifts I dunno.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 12:31 pm

Yuzu wrote:
If you engage in an unnecessary conversation with an opposite sex ( with same sex if you are gay) it's considered flirting. I kid you not.

Quite often this. Not exclusively, but often.

Smiling, eye contact lasting more than a momentary meeting of eyes, laughing (in particular in a disproporionate way), compliments, seemingly out of place questions... all these things can be.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 1:16 pm

I am confused about this as well. How do you tell between someone just being friendly and doing normal chatting and someone doing it just because they like you? If someone is the opposite gender, do we automatically assume they're flirting? How do you tell between friendship and someone liking you as in for a relationship than for as a friend?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 2:01 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I am confused about this as well. How do you tell between someone just being friendly and doing normal chatting and someone doing it just because they like you? If someone is the opposite gender, do we automatically assume they're flirting? How do you tell between friendship and someone liking you as in for a relationship than for as a friend?

I think liking the opposite gender as 'just a friend' is far more a female idea than a male one. I can only speak as a man, if I'm talking to a woman for more than a few minutes, I'm probably interested in her. Or at least see enough to want to investigate further. I think if a man is pursuing you in any significant way, he probably is interested in more than just being your friend. This isn't across the board, but I think the probability is extremely high.

Also if a man is asking alot of questions about you, your interests, your dislikes etc, then it's because he wants to get to know you and stimulate conversation because he likes you. If he didn't really like you, he'd likely tend to talk in a more self-centered way, more about himself, his likes etc. because he doesn't care much if you like him or not.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 10:35 pm

Flirting is lost on me. I rarely ever get it right, but in my experience it's this weird, suave, playful teasing through body language, double-entendres, innuendo, etc. Nothing I'm any good at unless I just get lucky. I was spending the weekend at a friend's house once. My wife went to bed early, but I decided to stay up for a few more hours and just listen to her girl friend talk. The important thing to remember is this person has very little if any love at all for me, but somehow we stayed up half the night drinking and talking. Eventually neither one of us could take it anymore, so we went to bed. All I did was mostly listen, I barely talked at all. And maybe I looked at her two or three seconds too long, maybe it was the way I said "good night," or maybe the wine gave me some kind of goofy smile. But whatever it was, the next private moment she got with my wife, she ratted me out for flirting with her. My wife told me about it and how she thought it was funny. I had nothing to hide and agreed.

So somehow I supposedly "flirted" with this older woman, and I won't deny that it was somewhat intentional. Could I do the same thing again? Probably not. This person fascinates me because she's a counselor and I enjoy talking about psychology--and for the better part of 4 hours she let me be her therapist (that much I set up deliberately). I'm sure I could repeat what/how I did what I did, but now that moment is long past. The mood and the moment is long past, and subtly hitting on her would be too predictable. It would never work.

Sometimes my timing is spot on and I recognize it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 10:53 pm

in the fluke-ish chance that somebody might flirt with me, chances are it'd go unnoticed by me.

arthur_arcturus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2016, 5:30 pm

Flirting is a negotiation process by which two people scan each other in such a way that the emotional damage from rejection is minimized.

For this reason all flirting must have the following properties:

- it's personal
- it's creative (displays fitness)
- it has plausible deniability
- it's incremental (too fast or too slow, and you will fail at it)

There are manipulative undertones to flirting as well. Mostly flirting is a female-imposed game. Men would skip all flirting and get right to the point if they could, but they can't, and so they are forced to compete in this game, in which they must play with similar allowed moves.

During flirting a person will attempt to obtain psychological leverage by getting the other person addicted to him or her faster than he or she himself or herself becomes addicted. For this reason the flirting person will provide plenty of stimulation, and intermittent reward, and sometimes withdraw, while at the same time controlling their own feelings (disengaging if necessary).

So, to put this in simple words, flirting is a power game that is at the core of mate selection. It is the sort of stuff that the neurotypical mind does naturally and which NTs spend their whole life perfecting.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 5:38 pm

League_Girl wrote:

I am sometimes worried that people will mistake my friendliness for flirtation, because I often can't tell the difference between the two. So if have a friendly, familiar conversation with a guy, maybe with an in-joke or some other sign that we have an established social connection, is that always going to be seen as flirting? I have friendly, familiar, in-jokey conversations with my brother and that's not flirting. So is there no literal difference, only a contextual one? If so that sucks, how am I meant to get the hang of that :? ?!

I have a friendly male colleague at work who I have nice (almost manageable!) conversations with. He has a girlfriend so I don't think he's flirting, but I was thinking today, I hope he doesn't think I'm being flirtatious. I don't want things to be awkward, I like having an almost-friend.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 5:43 pm

When I flirt I tend to say kind of outrageous things like if I'm going somewhere with someone prior to dating or even while dating I might say something about going out with a hot giant. I said to my boyfriend I would be his hot amazonian body guard.

I tend to be more physical when I'm flirting too. Arm touching especially.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 5:47 pm

lidsmichelle wrote:
I tend to be more physical when I'm flirting too. Arm touching especially.

Oh I couldn't be doing with that, I hate people touching me. But at least I would know it was flirting if somebody did that.

arthur_arcturus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Sep 2016, 9:35 am

racheypie666 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I am sometimes worried that people will mistake my friendliness for flirtation, because I often can't tell the difference between the two. So if have a friendly, familiar conversation with a guy, maybe with an in-joke or some other sign that we have an established social connection, is that always going to be seen as flirting? I have friendly, familiar, in-jokey conversations with my brother and that's not flirting. So is there no literal difference, only a contextual one? If so that sucks, how am I meant to get the hang of that :? ?!

I have a friendly male colleague at work who I have nice (almost manageable!) conversations with. He has a girlfriend so I don't think he's flirting, but I was thinking today, I hope he doesn't think I'm being flirtatious. I don't want things to be awkward, I like having an almost-friend.

The fact that it is hard to recognize from just being friendly is a feature of flirting as I have explained. It's what gives it plausible deniability. If they get it wrong it's not your fault (unless you show them your boobs then it's definitely your fault lol)