Haven's Boo first thread.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 4:55 pm

So basically...everything sucks now.

My work is extremely stressful, being assigned to a project with 3 others (one developer and 2 ex bankers) - the project timeline's standard should be at least 90 business days before even going UAT, and this is actually according to our partner (the software provider) guidelines.

When they first trained us, the first thing they told us from the very beginning that it requires at least 90 business days to implement and finalize every such project for every client; and my top management knows this very well since they were all in the training sessions many times.

Yet they promised this cash-rich client to finish all in 30 days, including weekends and vacations.

At the top of this, we need to develop something aside outside the system (file converters..etc) to cater for the client's specific needs and his market.

I told my top management and everyone that this will be impossible, I told them we need to re-convince the client to go with the standard 90 days plan.

Even our partner's PM (the solution provider) told us we are playing with fire with this unrealistic commitment, and advised us to reconsider. And I actually totally agree.

But it seems my top management smartly made this golden promise to the client and they don't want to lose face. My CEO insisted that we should finish in 30 days. Partner company said they'll try their best to give us the needed support, but they refused to commit to this short timeline because it's against their guideline rules.

To make things worse, my 'equivalent/mentor' at the partner company been on vacation for two weeks (but who blames her? it's my company's top management who are at fault), so I wasn't able to reach her for timely support.

22 days already passed, and just yesterday we received NEW additional requirements from the client (and we were receiving a new surprise every while before)- while we are barely finishing things in time - the business flow wasn't clear and complete from the beginning - and it's by today the banks provided us the needed file specifications while it was supposed to be given to us since 6th sept, so it took time to complete planning things and the business model.

I tried to convince my CEO today that it is must to extend the deadline because there's no way we will finish at the end of the week with all these new requirements and the delay from the involved banks.

He was in Turkey, I spoke with my developer and agreed to talk with him together over skype to explain the reality of things now , but instead he opened the phone conversation in front of the shareholders and Turkish personnel, and while i am explaining to him things he kept pushing toward the existing deadline.

He said we can add the new requirements after the deadline, but he doesn't understand that any new requirements affect things done before and therefore need modifications; their minds are set on this deadline.

At the top of all this, I am taking diploma night courses two days a week and I may have to drop this one.

I have been working this month ( with the developer) till midnight every day - no outings, no weekends, no gym, no enough sleep. and i have no love life to begin with, and barely have reachable friends lately.

Drinking a lot of coffee and gaffing loads of chocolate, my Psoriasis rash reappeared and this happens when stressed, i am not getting enough sleep - my overall health doesn't seem good.

I need my job, it's a career I worked so hard for, I can't leave (and it doesn't provide much transferable skills hence why i am doing those night courses) and I need the money - I dunno what to do. I am fcked.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 5:45 pm

The only good thing about all this is that the responsibility is not solely on YOU.

Otherwise, I really don't know the nature of your work, so I can't really advise you on how to make 90 days into 30 days. I think you do some sort of IT-type work, right?

The burden is probably on the BOSS to negotiate with the client to extend the deadline.

I know it's a b***h that you have to sacrifice your social life to this work.

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 10:45 pm

I can fully understand where you're coming from Boo. What you've described is almost my day to day experience working in IT. The business wants everything yesterday and refuses to understand when their own stupidity delays things or leads to them asking for the impossible. I have my own hell project going on right now with many parallels to yours. I hope things get better for you soon, stress on top of stress sucks.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 12:17 am

Sounds like the kind of job I should be doing. I wonder if it'd be a good idea to write on my résumé, "I have no social life, so I'll be always ready to work till midnight and forgo weekends without even noticing anything amiss when a crazy boss decides to cram ninety days into thirty at my expense".

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 3:30 am

Spiderpig wrote:
Sounds like the kind of job I should be doing. I wonder if it'd be a good idea to write on my résumé, "I have no social life, so I'll be always ready to work till midnight and forgo weekends without even noticing anything amiss when a crazy boss decides to cram ninety days into thirty at my expense".

That's my reality, i feel I am slave.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 8:59 pm

It sounds like hell.Sorry,it just does.You have no time to be free Boo.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 9:09 pm

I spend my days changing my 95-year-old mother's poopy diapers, if it makes you feel any better.

Seriously, though, that's a very stressful situation. Sorry you're going through it.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 3:21 pm

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 4:29 pm

Is it possible that he is setting you up for failure so as to have grounds to fire you?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 2:17 pm

I'm sorry to hear you're going through that. It sounds really rough and stressful.

That's so rubbish that you might have to give up your night course. So frustrating.

I wish I could say something that helps... :(

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 2:44 am

Reading your post alone gave me anxiety... i dont know how anyone can maintain a job with such intense demands... showing up and simply being there for 8 hrs is intense for me... s**t....

Id need serious drugs to cope with what you're dealing with... snd even then i doubt i could... good for you that you're able... look at it that way.... i bet alotta ppl around here couldnt manage that at all...

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 8:15 am

My psoriasis flared up again yesterday night after it got disappeared for a while, this time in the sensitive area below.

HelloSweetie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Sep 2016, 8:59 am

That sucks Boo :( hug
DH has similar issues (including eczema on sensitive areas...)

And he has to deal with us as well... Aspie family.

All I can wish you is the strength to seek out some kind of 'healthy' stress relief. Special interest, napping, 1 minute breathing exercise, a good meal, a walk or any kind of movement, stimming (even something as tiny as a stress ball might help), a good eczema salve, a scalp massager, an orgasm ;)

Hang in there

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 11:36 am

HelloSweetie wrote:
a scalp massager, an orgasm ;)

Hang in there