Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

faxe_
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Sep 2016, 4:05 pm

Here is something I've wondered about for a bit. I experienced depression in stints during my youth, and then since graduating college it's been a more constant issue although it still varies in intensity from stress and daylight levels. For a few years I've consciously recognized that depression; meanwhile it is only within the past six months that I've been aware of the strong likelihood that I am autistic. Given exactly which life stressors make my depression worse, I'm tempted to say that if I were neurotypical, I probably wouldn't have depression either. But given how there is a seasonal component and I'm also an abuse survivor, I'm equally tempted to say that my depression has manifested independently from the struggles of neurodivergence. I'm sure the most logical conclusion is to say that in my case, depression both is and is not dependent on autism— it just depends on the circumstance— but I am curious to see what other people on the spectrum who experience depression have to say. How does it all seem to work for you?

Pronouns: I have some that I like, but right here I would rather nobody use any pronouns for me at all, if you can possibly avoid it.