Any Trip Hop and other related genre fans? Please Share!

Page 6 of 16 [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2017, 2:38 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
SnailHail wrote:
Well FKA Twigs seems to be the queen. I just found out about her. She's considered the most popular trip hop artist right now. In 2014 her debut album LP1 was so praised that it was was considered in many reviewers top 100, top 50 and top 30 albums of the year or decade and she got a Mercury Prize. Her album's metacritic score is 86. It was #16 on the UK Album charts and #30 on US Billboard 200.

Everything in me knows I should like FKA but I've always felt like something was slack in their production and songwriting. The moods and silences in the beats are good but it's like they're trying to fill for something that's missing. It's like if she gets more hard life under her belt she'll get the fire she needs and the band might blossom but it's not there yet. I'm not looking for her to turn into WEEKND or something but add a little bit of that or even some of Megan James or Purity Ring's authority and it would click. She's beautiful and she's got a voice, the tunes and her vocal leadership I think just need more command.

I don't blame you. FKA is kinda "meh" for me too. How you described it is how I feel too. She does hate that she is labeled alternative RnB so maybe that will get her to try much harder to stand out in her next album.

The Levels sound interesting I'll look more into them.

Speaking of RnB have you ever listened to Elliott Power? He's the latest artist to have been signed to the the Mo'Wax record label and he dropped his first album last year. He was also featured in the Unkle single "Cowboys Or Indians".

I checked out some of his songs and it is pretty good especially the song "Murmur". I love how dark and creepy that song sounds. The music video goes along with it so well, now I feel like only listening to trip hop at night while in a moving vehicle. He is the best combination of Trip Hop and RnB currently in my opinion.

UNKLE did a remix of one of his songs. I haven't heard the original but this remix sounds good.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 5:26 pm

SnailHail wrote:
Speaking of RnB have you ever listened to Elliott Power? He's the latest artist to have been signed to the the Mo'Wax record label and he dropped his first album last year. He was also featured in the Unkle single "Cowboys Or Indians".

A guy who used to be on WP who I'm in contact with on Facebook shared some of his stuff. I remembered it not being bad, I'll have to look into it more. :)

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 7:10 pm

I'm cherry-picking a bit now, ie. the rest of Wasted Days doesn't sound like this but still - heck of a classy tune:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2017, 8:51 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
TY - I lose sight of some corners after a while. She seemed like she was gung ho on giving the music up to be an archaeologist so I figured that was that. Good to see she's at least finding a little time to get back in the game!

Well here is a corner I wasn't aware of either. I just discovered the artist Leila, and it turns out her full name is Leila Arab and she is the sister of Roya Arab. Leila is a mostly IDM producer but her songs do have some trip hop vibes and her debut album was ranked number 6 on the 50 best trip hop albums of all time by Fact and 39 in Pitchfork's best 50 IDM albums of all time. Leila has collaborated with Bjork, Martina Topley-Bird, Terry Hall and of course her own sister Roya Arab.

Here are the songs from Leila that feature Roya. Those two are incredibly talented, it's shame they didn't form a band together, especially after Roya left Archive but at least Leila has been kinda consistent with releasing albums. It would of been cool if Leila did a collab with Archive or Rosko John.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2017, 9:01 pm

Thanks! I'd heard of Leila but hadn't really followed up much on her.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 2:02 am

i know nothing, i happen to wander into electro-swing and triphop occasionally, i like the sampling of the old stuff, while avoiding listening to the too known-past

cayetano i find sometimes great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsbMxeStvH8
jah wobble and natacha atlas, what's that?

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2017, 8:12 pm

traven wrote:
i know nothing, i happen to wander into electro-swing and triphop occasionally, i like the sampling of the old stuff, while avoiding listening to the too known-past

I like electro-swing too. Some really interesting songs you got there. Got any else? What do you mean by "too known-past"?
This is the only Parov Stelar downtempo song I've listened to so far.

Sacul
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Apr 2017, 3:29 pm

youtube.com/watch?v=1k5egTzpEMY
youtube.com/watch?v=J39qRdU8Wyw

Been digging this album a lot lately, some amazing trip-hop/electronic/rock/psychedelic/? stuff from my country.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2017, 2:38 am

Good shares guys, that's some really obscure stuff I probably never would of found, I like ethnic touches to the songs.

Anyway I discovered an ambient trip hop band named Arms And Sleepers and they released a new album named Life Is Everywhere earlier this year in January. Pan Am is easily my favorite song out of the album I just love how they use chimes in this.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 9:47 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 9:48 pm

Tei Shi's sharpening up.

Heck, I'd almost say she's getting her Martina on:

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2017, 4:50 pm

Oh snap, Sevdaliza has a new album? I'm know what I'm gonna do for the next hour :D

Tei Shi does kinda sound like Martina, Tricky should try to get her featured in some songs if Martina never comes back.

I've been thinking about buying the CD for the Earthling album Humandust. I learned that this album was suppose to release in 1997 but their record label denied them because "It was too dark". I can't find it on their bandcamp or itunes and you can't find 6 of the 11 songs on the internet. It's shame I can't support the band for this album but I feel a bit uneasy about buying a CD off of discography, I'd hate to possibly ruin a mint/good condition CD despite how cheap it is. But I really want to hear the other 6 songs since some of them are considered the best of the album by others and I could rip the songs off the CD and upload them on the internet for everyone else who has never heard them and can't get the CD.

This album does sound a lot more dark than their others especially Haunted Head, that woman moaning in the background just gives it another level of creepiness. Humandust comes close with the wolf howling.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 8:12 pm

--Aldous Huxley

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 1:59 pm

I went to a Portishead show years ago when they released their Third album. One of the best live shows I've seen.

JRCriton
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 May 2017, 9:03 pm

https://youtu.be/kjPTQLgGpq8

Haskell Moore: There is a natural order to this world, and those who try to upend it do not fare well. This movement will never survive; if you join them, you and your entire family will be shunned. At best, you will exist a pariah to be spat at and beaten-at worst, to be lynched or crucified. And for what? For what? No matter what you do it will never amount to anything more than a single drop in a limitless ocean.

Adam Ewing: What is an ocean but a multitude of drops? - (Cloud Atlas)

Some of my sound experimentation's that I created

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2017, 10:13 pm

Something that was thrown in on that D-Bridge set that I posted earlier (a few bpm faster though in the mix).