Any Trip Hop and other related genre fans? Please Share!

Page 5 of 16 [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2017, 2:30 am

Today I discovered that Gotye has made trip hop songs, I was strolling through random songs, saw Gotye in related videos section and by chance found this

I skimmed through the rest of his album Like Drawing Blood. I like "The Only Thing I Know" the most. It's a shame he is really only known for Somebody I Used To Know.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2017, 4:34 pm

If anyone wants to get a preview of the new Thievery Corporation album you can sign up on their website

I haven't really listened to Thievery Corporation yet but if you're a fan or interested here you go

http://thieverycorporation.com/iandi/signin/

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2017, 2:39 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Another sidenote - a lot of female singers/producers have been raiding triphop for ideas. As a current example I notice that in a particularly strong way with Sevdaliza.

Well FKA Twigs seems to be the queen. I just found out about her. She's considered the most popular trip hop artist right now. In 2014 her debut album LP1 was so praised that it was was considered in many reviewers top 100, top 50 and top 30 albums of the year or decade and she got a Mercury Prize. Her album's metacritic score is 86. It was #16 on the UK Album charts and #30 on US Billboard 200.

She seems more like dark experimental pop to me than trip hop, but I guess she could be considered a more modern trip hop style. I think some of her songs are alright though.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 2:10 pm

--Aldous Huxley

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2017, 12:42 am

[quote="Nights_Like_These"][/quote]

Oh cool I just recently listened to Little People and the album Micky Mouse Operation. I'm glad someone shared them. Moon is easily hands down the best song on that album.

I've only listened to one JIM song so far, but that one sounds great too.

Mononome sounds cool, gotta listen to them.

Anyway I've been listening to Japanese hip hop lately and the style gives off some trip hop vibes to me.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2017, 1:01 am

ScrewyWabbit wrote:
I've been in to Trip Hop quite a bit in the past - Massive Attack, Portishead mostly. I even had that Massive Attack singles box set where the box was made with thermal paint so it changed colors when heated like from the touch of your skin. Not many other trip hop groups have I liked more than one album but others I'd mention would include Hooverphonic, Lamb, Morcheeba, Sneaker Pimps. Lots of other groups / artists have seemed to dabble in it or come close at times on individual songs - Sola Sistem by Underworld, Woman by Neena Cherry and some others. Overall probably my favorite tracks in the genre would be Roads by Portishead, Dissolved Girl by Massive Attack and also Unfinished Sympathy by Massive Attack.

I just started listening to Underworld and found this song

I learned that Archive took this song and sampled it in their own song Skyscraper. I can't tell which part they sampled specifically. What do you think of it?

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2017, 8:37 pm

I found this little gem recently, it was used in a movie called Memento in 2000. The artist is still making music and even released a remake/remaster of this song in 2014. The later half is really good. The singers have so much emotion in it.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2017, 1:18 am

I found this song from The Avalanches, even though they're listed as hip hop, neo-psychedelia, and electronic this song sounds pretty trip hop

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Apr 2017, 1:12 pm

Bonobo did a remix for the recent Gorillaz song Andromeda.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 10:01 pm

You may or may not be open minded to this one but I'll throw it out there. I've probably been listening to it at least two or three times a week for the last month or so at work and in the car.

It's a D-Bridge mix but it's more I think his take on the sort of half-tempo that Ivy Lab, Stray, etc. are doing which is in his particular mood domain (which I love) - some dnb as well but it's so stripped down and minimal that you can barely tell its at normal bpm. He's got a few Alia Fresco tunes on here, he's had those on the Heart Drive podcasts a lot as well (off her recent CNVX release) - the track he has right up front is her doing a revox of a Black Pocket track.

Someone on bandcamp I think made the comment of calling the feel of the rnb in it 'cough bottle love songs' - I had to laugh, it's not a bad description. Really love the synths on the track at 25 minutes, really cold gray-skies stuff. The Goldilox tune around 32 minutes is also pretty mint.

https://soundcloud.com/dbridge_exitreco ... apes-vol-1

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 10:17 pm

SnailHail wrote:
Well FKA Twigs seems to be the queen. I just found out about her. She's considered the most popular trip hop artist right now. In 2014 her debut album LP1 was so praised that it was was considered in many reviewers top 100, top 50 and top 30 albums of the year or decade and she got a Mercury Prize. Her album's metacritic score is 86. It was #16 on the UK Album charts and #30 on US Billboard 200.

Everything in me knows I should like FKA but I've always felt like something was slack in their production and songwriting. The moods and silences in the beats are good but it's like they're trying to fill for something that's missing. It's like if she gets more hard life under her belt she'll get the fire she needs and the band might blossom but it's not there yet. I'm not looking for her to turn into WEEKND or something but add a little bit of that or even some of Megan James or Purity Ring's authority and it would click. She's beautiful and she's got a voice, the tunes and her vocal leadership I think just need more command.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 10:31 pm

Loxy, Resound, and Alia with D-Bridge:

traven
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 12:59 am

traven
Veteran
Veteran

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2017, 12:35 pm

traven wrote:

I haven't gotten around to listening to Chineseman but that is a good song. Same for Gramatik. Any album recommendations on them?

I'm starting to come around to reggae/ragga trip hop. Got any suggestions?

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2017, 2:38 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
SnailHail wrote:

Everything in me knows I should like FKA but I've always felt like something was slack in their production and songwriting. The moods and silences in the beats are good but it's like they're trying to fill for something that's missing. It's like if she gets more hard life under her belt she'll get the fire she needs and the band might blossom but it's not there yet. I'm not looking for her to turn into WEEKND or something but add a little bit of that or even some of Megan James or Purity Ring's authority and it would click. She's beautiful and she's got a voice, the tunes and her vocal leadership I think just need more command.

I don't blame you. FKA is kinda "meh" for me too. How you described it is how I feel too. She does hate that she is labeled alternative RnB so maybe that will get her to try much harder to stand out in her next album.

The Levels sound interesting I'll look more into them.

Speaking of RnB have you ever listened to Elliott Power? He's the latest artist to have been signed to the the Mo'Wax record label and he dropped his first album last year. He was also featured in the Unkle single "Cowboys Or Indians".

I checked out some of his songs and it is pretty good especially the song "Murmur". I love how dark and creepy that song sounds. The music video goes along with it so well, now I feel like only listening to trip hop at night while in a moving vehicle. He is the best combination of Trip Hop and RnB currently in my opinion.

UNKLE did a remix of one of his songs. I haven't heard the original but this remix sounds good.