Any Trip Hop and other related genre fans? Please Share!

Page 1 of 16 [ 241 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2016, 11:37 pm

I noticed most of the Trip Hop threads are very old so I decided to make a new one.

So any Trip Hop, Downtempo, Ambient, Abstract/Alternative/LoFi/Instrumental Hip Hop, and or any other songs or genres that give you some trip hop feelings like Breakbeat, Post Rock, Progressive Rock, Acid Jazz, Chill Out, Industrial, or if it comes from a Trip Hop artist but isn't labeled it.

I'd like to keep this thread going and living like the metal and classic rock threads. So feel free to share any songs or artist you discover.

I like my Trip Hop to have a very dark feel to it and if it gives me the chills its even better!

In terms of artist Archive is my overall favorite group and they're the ones that got me into this type of music. I love all their albums especially their debut album Londinium. So Few Words, Old Artist, Dark Room, Skyscraper, Nothing Else, Man Made and Londinium really resonate with me. I listen to it at night and recently started listening to it at night while in the car. I went a road trip at night with my dad for some craigslist meet up and I sat in the passenger seat while listening to some Londinium and Take My Head songs I started feeling really emotional. I think its bull that Archive wasn't huge during the golden age of Trip Hop like Massive Attack or Portishead.

Second favorite Trip Hop artist would be Unkle. Their music has a dark feeling and it also kinda sounds like aliens made it. Tricky would be my 3rd favorite, his songs also have that dark feel and his cover on Public Enemy's Black Steel makes me see the song a whole lot differently. Morcheeba is a distant 4th it doesn't have that dark feeling in most of their songs but still pretty relaxing.Sneaker Pimps is alright, I really like Becoming X and Low Place Like Home.

Massive Attack really doesn't do it for me, only a few songs from the Mezzanine album including Mezzanine and Teardrop click with me. Same for goes for Portishead.

Enough about my taste I'll just share some songs I like to get this thread started.

This game called Transistor has a sountrack that sounds pretty trip hopish (all though the composer calls it old-world electronic post-rock), it was one of the reasons I played it. It makes me sad they only made these songs just for the game. They have potential to be full time trip hop muscians (the composer Darren Korb is currently in an indie rock band and the singer Ashley Barret doesn't seem to do much outside of singing for Supergiant games), now I have to hope for a Transistor sequel to hear more songs like this.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 12:26 am

--Aldous Huxley

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 4:27 pm

I've heard some stuff from Portishead, that I really like...and I've heard them classified as trip hop.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 4:40 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I've heard some stuff from Portishead, that I really like...and I've heard them classified as trip hop.

It's true. :thumleft: They were one of the original trip-hop bands from the early 90s (or one of the first to get a lot of exposure anyway).

--Aldous Huxley

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2016, 11:09 pm

Nights_Like_These wrote:
videos

Nice choice on an Unkle song! Lonely Soul is one of my top 5 favorites from them.

I recently started listening to RJD2, I saw someone recommend him as a trip hop artist that is still making music and I stumbled upon the Deadringer album on youtube, I love the songs you picked and The Horror from that album. Do you have any recommendations on albums/songs from RJD2?

Never heard of Nightmares on Wax, seems like they're more of a funky style. While I normally don't like most jazzy/funky Trip Hop/Downtempo the songs you showed sound alright especially You Wish.

I've only listened to the Sweetness album from Bonobo I found a few songs alright from it and it is starting to mess with my judgement on whether I should listen to more Bonobo songs to see if I find more that I like. Black Sands sounds like a nice album if there more songs like Kong in it. You have any recommendations on Bonobo, I'm going to listen to his first album later.

Portishead-Biscuit is meh to me I like Wandering Star, Glory Box, Silence, airbus reconstruction, Elysium, Mysterons, and Strangers. Which is a shame I really want to like more Portishead songs since they make some pretty interesting sounds I like but most of their songs feel too flat and slow paced for me even for Trip Hop in my opinion, some of their songs have sounds that I like but they're not used through out the majority of the songs, so I can't really say I like the song if really I only like 20 seconds of it.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 1:28 am

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 7:23 pm

SnailHail wrote:
Nights_Like_These wrote:
videos

Nice choice on an Unkle song! Lonely Soul is one of my top 5 favorites from them.

I recently started listening to RJD2, I saw someone recommend him as a trip hop artist that is still making music and I stumbled upon the Deadringer album on youtube, I love the songs you picked and The Horror from that album. Do you have any recommendations on albums/songs from RJD2?

Never heard of Nightmares on Wax, seems like they're more of a funky style. While I normally don't like most jazzy/funky Trip Hop/Downtempo the songs you showed sound alright especially You Wish.

I've only listened to the Sweetness album from Bonobo I found a few songs alright from it and it is starting to mess with my judgement on whether I should listen to more Bonobo songs to see if I find more that I like. Black Sands sounds like a nice album if there more songs like Kong in it. You have any recommendations on Bonobo, I'm going to listen to his first album later.

Portishead-Biscuit is meh to me I like Wandering Star, Glory Box, Silence, airbus reconstruction, Elysium, Mysterons, and Strangers. Which is a shame I really want to like more Portishead songs since they make some pretty interesting sounds I like but most of their songs feel too flat and slow paced for me even for Trip Hop in my opinion, some of their songs have sounds that I like but they're not used through out the majority of the songs, so I can't really say I like the song if really I only like 20 seconds of it.

Unfortunately I don't know a lot from RJD2. It's someone I've been meaning to check out more of, but just never got around to it. I forgot he existed for quite some time actually lol--until recently. So, there's not much I can recommend there. Bonobo has some good stuff. Black Sands is a good album, Days To Come is also a pretty good album.

I've also checked out DJ Shadow's most recent album (The Mountain Will Fall), and it also seems really good. A lot of it as actually hip-hop in that there are people rapping, but I've been pretty impressed with it thus far.

This song is NSFW (or for people offended by foul language lol), but it's so relevant with the current political climate of the world as it is (and the video is kind of awesome):

--Aldous Huxley

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 7:43 pm

And one more. Not a huge fan of this artist in general, but I do really like this song:

Actually, this one's not bad either:

--Aldous Huxley

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2016, 10:23 pm

Nights_Like_These wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

It's true. :thumleft: They were one of the original trip-hop bands from the early 90s (or one of the first to get a lot of exposure anyway).

I will probably have to look more into this genre than, I didn't think there was really much more of that style out there. Seems like there is quite a lot of recommendations in this thread so its a good place to start.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 12:07 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Nights_Like_These wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I will probably have to look more into this genre than, I didn't think there was really much more of that style out there. Seems like there is quite a lot of recommendations in this thread so its a good place to start.

There's quite a bit still out there these days, but the genre definitely hasn't been in the mainstream for a long time. It's a shame really.

--Aldous Huxley

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 2:16 am

SnailHail wrote:

So just started looking at what is on this thread and that was a good start, pretty f***king awesome.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 2:23 am

Nights_Like_These wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Nights_Like_These wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

There's quite a bit still out there these days, but the genre definitely hasn't been in the mainstream for a long time. It's a shame really.

seems it is rather underrated.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2016, 3:31 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Nights_Like_These wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Nights_Like_These wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

seems it is rather underrated.

Well Trip Hop like any other genre, goes through a Golden age and then dies down later. Jazz had a a golden age from 1920 - 1940s. Rock's golden age pretty much stayed strong for nearly 4 decades. Metal was the 80s and 90s. Grunge and Punk was the 90s. New wave was the 80s. Golden age of Hip Hop was the late 80s to the early 2000s. You get the idea but however despite Golden ages ending for some of these genres they are still able to maintain some face in the mainstream like Rock, Metal, and Hip Hop.

Trip Hop practically died after the early 2000s in terms of mainstream appeal. The top 5 Trip Hop artist in terms of mainstream appeal I believe are Portishead, Massive Attack, Tricky, Morcheeba and Sneaker Pimps. Sneaker Pimps and Portishead pretty much died out. Portishead's last album came out in 2008 but the album before that was from 1998 which was really just a live version of the album that came before it, so practically 10 years for a new album. Sneaker Pimps is coming back together to make a fourth album but essentially their fans had to wait at least 14 years for it. Massive Attack is able to maintain some mainstream appeal but from what I hear from fans but there was a massive time gap between their two most recent albums which was 6 years.

Morcheeba and Tricky pretty much the only ones that have been consistent in releasing albums. Electronic/EDM is going through a Golden age right now so some artist make downtempo songs which is pretty close to Trip Hop.

Lucky for you, you're new to the genre so pretty much everything is new to you. :D

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 4:09 pm

She does swear in this song... it's not particularly cuss-y though... just a heads up.

Not sure if this next one fits within this post.. but it's got a mellow vibe to me so why not...

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 4:38 pm

SnailHail wrote:
Well Trip Hop like any other genre, goes through a Golden age and then dies down later. Jazz had a a golden age from 1920 - 1940s. Rock's golden age pretty much stayed strong for nearly 4 decades. Metal was the 80s and 90s. Grunge and Punk was the 90s. New wave was the 80s. Golden age of Hip Hop was the late 80s to the early 2000s. You get the idea but however despite Golden ages ending for some of these genres they are still able to maintain some face in the mainstream like Rock, Metal, and Hip Hop.

Trip Hop practically died after the early 2000s in terms of mainstream appeal. The top 5 Trip Hop artist in terms of mainstream appeal I believe are Portishead, Massive Attack, Tricky, Morcheeba and Sneaker Pimps. Sneaker Pimps and Portishead pretty much died out. Portishead's last album came out in 2008 but the album before that was from 1998 which was really just a live version of the album that came before it, so practically 10 years for a new album. Sneaker Pimps is coming back together to make a fourth album but essentially their fans had to wait at least 14 years for it. Massive Attack is able to maintain some mainstream appeal but from what I hear from fans but there was a massive time gap between their two most recent albums which was 6 years.

Morcheeba and Tricky pretty much the only ones that have been consistent in releasing albums. Electronic/EDM is going through a Golden age right now so some artist make downtempo songs which is pretty close to Trip Hop.

Lucky for you, you're new to the genre so pretty much everything is new to you. :D

For some reason I'd never heard of Morcheeba until a couple of years ago, even though they also started out in the 90s. I only know a few songs from one particular album, so I'll have to check out more of them I think!

--Aldous Huxley

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2016, 4:53 am