Any Trip Hop and other related genre fans? Please Share!

Page 8 of 16 [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 9:27 pm

SnailHail wrote:
Huh I felt the same away about a couple of the songs you posted as well needing to grow on me. That DBridge mix on soundcloud felt meh to me but that The Levels song featuring DBridge sounded great though.

And I don't get it twisted. I think if I've learned anything about music and sharing it with other people in the last several years (I have a few friends who are veterans from here who get together and share on Facebook) it's that it'll constantly surprise you what people agree with you/me on and what they don't. For example I posted I think one of the more meaningful tunes I've heard in a while in terms of dnb, Monsters by Loxy, Resound, Blocks, and Esher. It seems like anything I'm 95% on other people are 45 or 50% on but we all agree on what we're 75 or 80% on. It's weird like that.

In other words yeah - I'd fully expect us to differ in tastes at a certain level, it's one of those things along with death and taxes you can pretty much guarantee. You're good people! Keep up the good work and keep finding more beats. :)

SnailHail wrote:
I found this Glass Animal song featuring Tei Shi in case you haven't heard it
[/quote]
That is gorgeous and thank you for the share. TBH one of the things I've been annoyed by is people going after her like she's the Carlos Mencia of pop music. She did have one tune early on where it's pretty convincing that she bit someone's style and - it's a free mp3/download in acapella on her Soundcloud. At the same time - she wouldn't be able to come up with the rest of this if she didn't have the talent to float on her own merit.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2017, 5:55 pm

I find it good that we all have some differences in taste otherwise things would get too boring. And I like to believe our differences in taste will eventually get us to expose each other to something we may have not tasted before and actually like.

Anyway I was listening to Skye Edwards solo work (I had no idea she left Morcheeba at one point), I found her cover song on the famous Gorillaz song Feel Good Inc, and and WOW! 8O I think I like it more than the original song. I'd love to hear Damon Albarn sing on these instrumentals as well.

I love the little ding at 0:40 when she sings "All I wanna hear is the message beep"

Her other songs are pretty good I think her solo stuff is better than a lot of her Morcheeba work.

She also collaborated with Marc Collin, a musician from a French group called Nouvelle Vague for an album consisting of popular songs from 80s movies called Hollywood, Mon Amour.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2017, 1:32 am

I found a lounge/trip hop band called SHINE and they sound great!! ! I'm not really a fan of upbeat trip hop but these guys are really good. In fact Paul Godfrey who is one of the producers for Morcheeba loves the band. Even Tricky complimented the band. They went on tour with Morcheeba in France and Italy and also did an opening for Sia in 2004. Despite being loved by big names and working with them they're still a pretty underrated hidden gem. I think it has to do with their band name, it is not very unique and search engine friendly, I was only able to find out about them through Morcheeba and typing in a specific album of theirs because I kept getting other bands and songs that had the word "Shine".

They've only released two albums so far the first one being The Common Station and the other being Judas And Mary. I'm glad I found them, I haven't listened to trip hop as much lately since most of it is dark and it really sets the mood for me when it is dark and cold weather but since summer is around the corner it gets harder to enjoy it and feel the chills. Their songs are pretty relaxing and I definitely see myself chilling to The Common Station album during summer break when I'm traveling.

Soulful Music is easily my most favorite song from them and it really stands out from the rest of their songs. How they mix lounge, soul and trip hop together is very melodious.

Ashbury is my second pick. That sax in the later half is fantastic.

Midlife Zone is easily a close third

Hawai gives off a little bit alienish vibes.

I lay on my bed and stare at ceiling and still get stimulate by this song

I feel like taking a stroll and looking up at the sky while listening to Judas And Mary

StephenBeets679895
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jun 2017, 11:39 pm

Does retrowave count? I'm listening to Mitch Murder as I write this, but I also like some trip hop. I also recently discovered lo-fi and I think Chilled Cow's stuff on YouTube is an excellent place to start on that genre. My music tastes are very wide and I like many different artists and styles. I'd spend forever trying to list everything I'm into :P

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 12:12 am

Another moving albeit minimal split-tempo piece:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2017, 9:20 pm

StephenBeets679895 wrote:
Does retrowave count? I'm listening to Mitch Murder as I write this, but I also like some trip hop. I also recently discovered lo-fi and I think Chilled Cow's stuff on YouTube is an excellent place to start on that genre. My music tastes are very wide and I like many different artists and styles. I'd spend forever trying to list everything I'm into :P

Well if you can find a synthwave song that has some trip hop vibes than sure. I'm kinda sick of lo-fi hip hop, it is hard to find anything that stands out it is all starting to sound generic to me. Especially with it being a fad right now, tons of people jumping on the bandwagon and dumping their quickly and thoughtlessly produced songs with random 90s anime pictures and videos thrown paired with them.
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Another moving albeit minimal split-tempo piece:

That sounds pretty good, I hear some trance vibes in it

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jun 2017, 8:04 pm

My Earthling Humandust album has finally came in, soon I'll rip the songs off my CD and upload them 8) :D

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2017, 10:34 pm

--Aldous Huxley

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2017, 9:33 pm

Nights_Like_These wrote:

Good share!! I did not know about Damon Albarn's solo album despite being a Gorillaz fan. It's a shame that Damon doesn't do as much trip hop songs, he is one of the few male vocalist that could sound better than most female vocalist in the genre and shows how great these songs can sound with a male voice.

I like this song the most on the Everyday Robots album

He is featured on two massive attack songs although it is hard to hear him in Small Time Shot Away

and the remix

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2017, 2:15 pm

Finally got around to uploading the missing Earthling Humandust songs, I'm so glad I got the full album I really love the other 7 songs. Miracle Town is easily my most favorite song on the album and easily one of most favorite Earthling songs and songs from Mau, it gives off so many dark and alien vibes. An Angel Comes From Babylon would be my second favorite, Me & My Sister third, and The Secret Life Of The Future being fourth.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 10:24 pm

SnailHail wrote:
Nights_Like_These wrote:

SnailHail wrote:
Good share!! I did not know about Damon Albarn's solo album despite being a Gorillaz fan. It's a shame that Damon doesn't do as much trip hop songs, he is one of the few male vocalist that could sound better than most female vocalist in the genre and shows how great these songs can sound with a male voice.

I wasn't aware he had done solo stuff either until I'd stumbled onto that one on youtube. Selfish Giant is good also, though I hadn't heard that one before now.

A couple I came across tonight in a Youtube playlist:

I couldn't find the second one on its own on Youtube, so it would probably be easier to just listen to it here:

Indigo by Dienst&Schulter
http://soundcloud.com/dienst/indigo

--Aldous Huxley

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2017, 9:04 pm

Words Remain by Moderator sounds pretty good, the soundcloud song is pretty "meh" in my opinion.

I just found this song by the rap group De La Soul featuring Little Dragon, it is from their album that came out in late august 2016. Most of the song is very Little Dragon.

danielwright
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jun 2017, 8:48 am

How about Massive Attack?

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jun 2017, 1:30 pm

danielwright wrote:
How about Massive Attack?

Well if it is s what you want to discuss and share than sure

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2017, 3:48 pm

I found an Italian group called The Dining Rooms, they have a nice blend of downtempo, jazz, and ambient music, some good music to relax to. I like how they have little to no vocals in their songs and some of the vocals being hard to make out.

I love the second half of this song

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2017, 11:34 pm

I've been listening to Cibo Matto a lot lately and even listened to their latest album. It is seriously criminal how underrated they are so I went out and bought all 3 of their CD albums. I'm bit disappointed at how short their latest album Hotel Valetine is considering they've been disbanded/on hiatus for 15 years. I wish I knew about them sooner especially when they started playing live in New York around the time they were about to release Hotel Valentine. Anyway I'm glad I supported them and I hope they make another album soon, hopefully a longer one.

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I think with female vocalists, like earlier with Sevdaliza, I like being taken to immersive and challenging places. It's a tough order so I usually don't spend a lot of time looking for new female vocalists to get into and when I do find them I consider it fortunate.

I think you might like this song from Cibo Matto

I think Deja Vu shows how well they easily transitioned to a more modern style while still keeping intact what makes them great. Despite how long it has been their voices still sound the same.

I think you might also like Empty Pool this song from them seems close along the lines of a song from Sevdaliza

Anyway here are some of there other trip hop songs, heck even their non trip hoppish songs are great.

The groove on Spoon is amazing.

Moonchild is very beautiful and relaxing

Miho is kinda good at rap, her accent and sounding like she speaks broken english works in well in her favor

Working For Vacation is a great introduction song for the Stereo * Type A album

White Pepper Ice Cream gives me some chills

Candyman is a cover song of from the 1971 Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory film, I honestly thought it was a song based on the Candyman horror movie based on how creepy the music sounds.