Any Trip Hop and other related genre fans? Please Share!

Page 9 of 16 [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2017, 11:34 pm

I've been listening to Cibo Matto a lot lately and even listened to their latest album. It is seriously criminal how underrated they are so I went out and bought all 3 of their CD albums. I'm bit disappointed at how short their latest album Hotel Valetine is considering they've been disbanded/on hiatus for 15 years. I wish I knew about them sooner especially when they started playing live in New York around the time they were about to release Hotel Valentine. Anyway I'm glad I supported them and I hope they make another album soon, hopefully a longer one.

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I think with female vocalists, like earlier with Sevdaliza, I like being taken to immersive and challenging places. It's a tough order so I usually don't spend a lot of time looking for new female vocalists to get into and when I do find them I consider it fortunate.

I think you might like this song from Cibo Matto

I think Deja Vu shows how well they easily transitioned to a more modern style while still keeping intact what makes them great. Despite how long it has been their voices still sound the same.

I think you might also like Empty Pool this song from them seems close along the lines of a song from Sevdaliza

Anyway here are some of there other trip hop songs, heck even their non trip hoppish songs are great.

The groove on Spoon is amazing.

Moonchild is very beautiful and relaxing

Miho is kinda good at rap, her accent and sounding like she speaks broken english works in well in her favor

Working For Vacation is a great introduction song for the Stereo * Type A album

White Pepper Ice Cream gives me some chills

Candyman is a cover song of from the 1971 Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory film, I honestly thought it was a song based on the Candyman horror movie based on how creepy the music sounds.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 11:29 pm

SnailHail, you brought up Banks earlier? I'm really liking this one but... it's also got Sabre, Stray, and Halogenix's prints all over it - so it's a re-mixed blessing. :)

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jul 2017, 8:10 pm

Glad you like it, I believe you like drum n bass and I recently found this drum n bass trip hop group called Baxter. It was by random chance that I found them, they're pretty hard to find since there is at least 5 other bands with that name and the most prominent one is some punk band.

Drum n Bass and Trip hop is a really cool combo, it is a shame not many people do it. They're pretty underrated so I went out of my way to buy a brand new CD of their first album just to give them support. I've been listening to their first album so far and playing sci-fi games like WarFrame and Planetside 2 with it, it just fits the mood so well and makes it so much more immersive.

This song was featured in a CSI Miami episode

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2017, 11:52 pm

Haven't posted in a while due to being busy with school and work but I made a great discovery while trying to find some new metal bands to get into recently. I discovered this band called The Gathering that does trip rock/trip hop, I listened to their album Souvenirs and it sounds like Massive Attack if they ever did gothic metal and alternative rock. The singer (Anneke Van Giersbergen) is amazing and it disappoints me to find out that she left the band about 10 years ago. Their metal and rock songs are pretty good too. If you're interested in the album you can get it off of Bandcamp for 6 bucks.

"These Good People" is easily my most favorite song on the album I fell in love with the singer on this.

Souvenirs is a great song to space out to, I feel like I'm outside my body when listening to it.

Broken Glass is another relaxing and emotional song.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2017, 2:46 pm

Unkle's new album The Road Part 1 has finally came out and it seems to be getting great reception.

THese are some of the few songs I am able to find on youtube right now

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 11:23 pm

Purity Ring is coming back around. I probably felt this one more than I wanted to, Megan's like Muhammad Ali sometimes and she didn't pull any punches here. Corin's production is also impeccable as always.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2017, 9:03 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Purity Ring is coming back around. I probably felt this one more than I wanted to, Megan's like Muhammad Ali sometimes and she didn't pull any punches here. Corin's production is also impeccable as always.

Does Purity Ring really count as trip hop? I've seen some people list them but I tried listening to a few songs on both their albums and they didn't sound like trip hop at all.

It seems quiet a few trip hop artist are coming back around this year. Speaking of coming back around besides Unkle, Tricky is also releasing a new album this September and it features Martina Topley-Bird, kinda sucks though that she is only featured on one song since she hasn't worked with Tricky since 1995. To be honest I was kinda expecting Martina to be dead since I haven't heard from her in a while. She was featured on a The Progidy song a few years back but we never heard from her after that.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 9:38 pm

SnailHail wrote:
Does Purity Ring really count as trip hop? I've seen some people list them but I tried listening to a few songs on both their albums and they didn't sound like trip hop at all.

No, I'd say they fit in a sort of indie-pop/electronic zone of things, somewhere similar to where I'd put Phantogram.

I was relating them more off the down-tempo and mood part of the thread title.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2017, 10:10 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
SnailHail wrote:

No, I'd say they fit in a sort of indie-pop/electronic zone of things, somewhere similar to where I'd put Phantogram.

I was relating them more off the down-tempo and mood part of the thread title.

That description of Purity Ring sounds about right especially when their Wikipedia says similar.

Asido seems like the only song that fits in this thread, strangely I see their Wikipedia page has trip hop listed but when you look at individual albums trip hop isn't there.

I think Phantogram fits in fine. I recently started listening to them and you clearly hear trip hop/down-tempo influences in their songs unlike with Purity Ring.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 11:36 pm

I know David Lynch and Chrysta have teamed up from time to time - I typically haven't been that into it in the past but I do like this one. It's got a nice subtle flanging throughout and I think they worked the minimalism well.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2017, 4:12 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I know David Lynch and Chrysta have teamed up from time to time - I typically haven't been that into it in the past but I do like this one. It's got a nice subtle flanging throughout and I think they worked the minimalism well.

I have no idea who they are but that song sounds really bizarre but somehow good that it doesn't put me off from it.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 6:40 pm

SnailHail wrote:
who they are but that song sounds really bizarre but somehow good that it doesn't put me off from it.

David Lynch is a well-known movie and TV show director - Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, etc..

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2017, 7:15 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
SnailHail wrote:
who they are but that song sounds really bizarre but somehow good that it doesn't put me off from it.

David Lynch is a well-known movie and TV show director - Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, etc..

Huh I've heard of Twin Peaks but never watched it. I started looking for more songs from them and this sounds pretty good. Chrysta has a nice voice.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2017, 9:32 pm

I found another trip hop and drum & bass group named Etro Anime. I'm in love with this band now I think See The Sound is now easily in my top 10 trip hop albums and albums overall. It is a shame they've only had two albums over the years, I checked their social media and they said they're working on a third album but since they last said that was nearly 7 years ago. I'm buying both of their albums on bandcamp in desperate hope they actually release it. It's also disappointing to see the singer of the first album leave and she hasn't seem to have done much afterwards.

The song Danger is fantastic, it was apparently used in the US version of the game Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga as the opening screen song.

Adonis is another great song that stands out a lot on the album. The singer really shows off voice.

Purest One is another highlight

Summer Rain is apparently the most popular out of the album aside from Danger

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2017, 1:08 am

I haven't listened to DJ Shadow in a while so I decided to look for a song I haven't heard from him. This one sounds pretty chill

I like what Unkle has done with The Road: Part 1 so far. They're very experimental with the electronic oriented songs and it has paid off very well also they have some good choices in featured artist. Even their rock songs kinda give off some trip hop vibes to me although just very faint ones.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 2:54 am

an' something from i dont no labels lands :scratch: